Tech: Turkey Shoot gun issues

Lance

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I received my coveted Turkey Shoot a short time ago, and am having some
minor issues. The gun sight seems to jump around a bit, and in the
vertical axis there are "dead spots" where the targeting reticle jumps
up/down about an inch on the screen as you move. These spots are in
bands that run across the screen, one about three inches below the top
of the screen, and one about four inches up from the bottom. Also, I
can't target anything at the top of the screen (this might be part of
the game, can anyone verify? Makes it hard to hit the flyers in level
3).

I've never had a gun game before, and was unfamiliar with how they
work. In looking over the guts of it, it appears to be a set of four
optical sensors in each axis, with cards that have matching rows of
slots for the sensors to read. I figure I'll disassemble and clean
everything, although it really doesn't look that bad. There's a bit of
play on the shaft itself, but there appears to be a set screw that may
take care of that.

Connections all look good, and all self tests perform ok. There
doesn't appear to be any calibration option in the menus.

Can anyone offer up any suggestions as to whether I'm going in the
right direction? Any generic or specific gun information would be
appreciated. TIA.

Lance

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Lance, check your monitor as well, make sure the brightness is turned up,
also check for lights reflecting off the glass from overhead or behind you.
I've had some that don't work right depending on which way they're facing,
etc.

Ron
"Lance" <steelsteeds@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I received my coveted Turkey Shoot a short time ago, and am having some
> minor issues. The gun sight seems to jump around a bit, and in the
> vertical axis there are "dead spots" where the targeting reticle jumps
> up/down about an inch on the screen as you move. These spots are in
> bands that run across the screen, one about three inches below the top
> of the screen, and one about four inches up from the bottom. Also, I
> can't target anything at the top of the screen (this might be part of
> the game, can anyone verify? Makes it hard to hit the flyers in level
> 3).
>
> I've never had a gun game before, and was unfamiliar with how they
> work. In looking over the guts of it, it appears to be a set of four
> optical sensors in each axis, with cards that have matching rows of
> slots for the sensors to read. I figure I'll disassemble and clean
> everything, although it really doesn't look that bad. There's a bit of
> play on the shaft itself, but there appears to be a set screw that may
> take care of that.
>
> Connections all look good, and all self tests perform ok. There
> doesn't appear to be any calibration option in the menus.
>
> Can anyone offer up any suggestions as to whether I'm going in the
> right direction? Any generic or specific gun information would be
> appreciated. TIA.
>

> Lance

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Even though this game has optical sensors the gun is positional. I have one
at home that I working on trying to get up and run, mine has a power
problem. But from looking at how the gun works it's definitely positional
not light sensing.

Adam

"Ron Lyons" <LyonsronnieREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Lance, check your monitor as well, make sure the brightness is turned up,
> also check for lights reflecting off the glass from overhead or behind
> you.
> I've had some that don't work right depending on which way they're facing,
> etc.
>
> Ron
> "Lance" <steelsteeds@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I received my coveted Turkey Shoot a short time ago, and am having some
>> minor issues. The gun sight seems to jump around a bit, and in the
>> vertical axis there are "dead spots" where the targeting reticle jumps
>> up/down about an inch on the screen as you move. These spots are in
>> bands that run across the screen, one about three inches below the top
>> of the screen, and one about four inches up from the bottom. Also, I
>> can't target anything at the top of the screen (this might be part of
>> the game, can anyone verify? Makes it hard to hit the flyers in level
>> 3).
>>
>> I've never had a gun game before, and was unfamiliar with how they
>> work. In looking over the guts of it, it appears to be a set of four
>> optical sensors in each axis, with cards that have matching rows of
>> slots for the sensors to read. I figure I'll disassemble and clean
>> everything, although it really doesn't look that bad. There's a bit of
>> play on the shaft itself, but there appears to be a set screw that may
>> take care of that.
>>
>> Connections all look good, and all self tests perform ok. There
>> doesn't appear to be any calibration option in the menus.
>>
>> Can anyone offer up any suggestions as to whether I'm going in the
>> right direction? Any generic or specific gun information would be
>> appreciated. TIA.
>>

>> Lance

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Sounds like an opto isn't registering. I would make sure nothing has gotten
in there and covered something.

"Lance" <steelsteeds@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I received my coveted Turkey Shoot a short time ago, and am having some
> minor issues. The gun sight seems to jump around a bit, and in the
> vertical axis there are "dead spots" where the targeting reticle jumps
> up/down about an inch on the screen as you move. These spots are in
> bands that run across the screen, one about three inches below the top
> of the screen, and one about four inches up from the bottom. Also, I
> can't target anything at the top of the screen (this might be part of
> the game, can anyone verify? Makes it hard to hit the flyers in level
> 3).
>
> I've never had a gun game before, and was unfamiliar with how they
> work. In looking over the guts of it, it appears to be a set of four
> optical sensors in each axis, with cards that have matching rows of
> slots for the sensors to read. I figure I'll disassemble and clean
> everything, although it really doesn't look that bad. There's a bit of
> play on the shaft itself, but there appears to be a set screw that may
> take care of that.
>
> Connections all look good, and all self tests perform ok. There
> doesn't appear to be any calibration option in the menus.
>
> Can anyone offer up any suggestions as to whether I'm going in the
> right direction? Any generic or specific gun information would be
> appreciated. TIA.
>

> Lance

Lance

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

All true. It is positional, with optical sensors. Kind of interesting
to have the whole front control panel tilted open, gun pointing toward
the ceiling behind me, and still be able to shoot turkeys on the
screen... Haven't had time tonight to take it apart and clean it. I'm
not quite sure how the sensors themselves work, they don't light up,
and shining a bright flashlight onto either side had no effect
whatsoever on the functionality of the gun during play.

If it is one of the optical sensors which has failed, are they
replaceable? Or will I need to find an entire new board?? Damn, just
passed one by on eBay a couple of weeks ago...

Thanks for the info,

Lance

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I had a TS and just fixed a friends. The gun would jump as you say. The
problem was cold solder joints on the small interface PCB. Remove the board
and check under a light or just resolder. As a rule of thumb whenever i get
a williams machine in, I always remove the board and resolder the pins.

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

when a fixed light sensitive gun goes down, it down strange things. One opto
out is always one opto out.

"Adam Dare" <adam_AT_msn_DOT_com> wrote in message
> Even though this game has optical sensors the gun is positional. I have
one
> at home that I working on trying to get up and run, mine has a power
> problem. But from looking at how the gun works it's definitely positional
> not light sensing.
>
> Adam
>
> "Ron Lyons" <LyonsronnieREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Lance, check your monitor as well, make sure the brightness is turned
up,
> > also check for lights reflecting off the glass from overhead or behind
> > you.
> > I've had some that don't work right depending on which way they're
facing,
> > etc.
> >
> > Ron
> > "Lance" <steelsteeds@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> I received my coveted Turkey Shoot a short time ago, and am having some
> >> minor issues. The gun sight seems to jump around a bit, and in the
> >> vertical axis there are "dead spots" where the targeting reticle jumps
> >> up/down about an inch on the screen as you move. These spots are in
> >> bands that run across the screen, one about three inches below the top
> >> of the screen, and one about four inches up from the bottom. Also, I
> >> can't target anything at the top of the screen (this might be part of
> >> the game, can anyone verify? Makes it hard to hit the flyers in level
> >> 3).
> >>
> >> I've never had a gun game before, and was unfamiliar with how they
> >> work. In looking over the guts of it, it appears to be a set of four
> >> optical sensors in each axis, with cards that have matching rows of
> >> slots for the sensors to read. I figure I'll disassemble and clean
> >> everything, although it really doesn't look that bad. There's a bit of
> >> play on the shaft itself, but there appears to be a set screw that may
> >> take care of that.
> >>
> >> Connections all look good, and all self tests perform ok. There
> >> doesn't appear to be any calibration option in the menus.
> >>
> >> Can anyone offer up any suggestions as to whether I'm going in the
> >> right direction? Any generic or specific gun information would be
> >> appreciated. TIA.
> >>

> >> Lance

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

if they have failed, I would imagine you could adapt one from something
later into it. Old mouse perhaps?
> All true. It is positional, with optical sensors. Kind of interesting
> to have the whole front control panel tilted open, gun pointing toward
> the ceiling behind me, and still be able to shoot turkeys on the
> screen... Haven't had time tonight to take it apart and clean it. I'm
> not quite sure how the sensors themselves work, they don't light up,
> and shining a bright flashlight onto either side had no effect
> whatsoever on the functionality of the gun during play.
>
> If it is one of the optical sensors which has failed, are they
> replaceable? Or will I need to find an entire new board?? Damn, just
> passed one by on eBay a couple of weeks ago...
>
> Thanks for the info,
>
> Lance

TRENDING THREADS