onboard video vs agp card

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
i am starting to play around with different settings with my pc and overclocking and such, i am wondering which would fare better in games and benchmarks, the onboard savage 8 2d/3d graphics, or my gforce2mx 400 64mb agp card, the savage uses 32mb of my system ram which is pc2700 ddr. my system specs are as follows: athlon XP1600+ overclocked to 1900+ ddr settings are bumped as well, was 2.5 cas now is 2.0 it is micron 256 ddr, msi KM2M motherboard with via KM266 chipset, 30 gig maxtor hdd 5400 rpm, crystal 4 channel sound card, powermax 300w power supply, sony 24X cd burner, d-link nic, zoltrix tv max capture card. which graphics solution would fare better in my case? savage or gforce, does the ddr ram make the savage a better choice versus the gforce ram? thanks for any input.

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
No! Nvidia cheat!!! The drivers will over heat your monitor!

*<i> The above statement may be false in response to so much bs being spread about the net at the moment</i>*

My system spec: Fast PC<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7000747" target="_new"> 3D-2001 </A>
"It's not the spoon that bends, it's only yourself."

rahimiv

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2003
I dont know... I dont like sis, well maybe their motherboard chipset is okay... but I'd get a Ti200 if I can find them, only cost slightly more than a mx400 and 10 times better too, it supports pixel/vertex shader (mx400 doesnt) and I cant get more than 1200 out of the mx400 in 3dmark2001SE. You could get like 4 times the score out of a ti200... Avoid onboard, My first computer came with onboard video and I hated it.

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
well i was asking about these because i already have these and no funds to buy a new card yet, but i have been experimenting and the onboard shows very poor results in benchmarking, but the gforce isnt that much better, now as far as real world usage, i play warbirds 3d, star trek command, amd combat flight simulator3, the first 2 actually played better with the onboard(go figure)no momentary frame freezes like the geforce had. i have not tried ms combat flight sim3 yet, this leads me to beleive there is more to this graphics thing than mere benchmarks. why is this? does it depend on the game? how its written, etc...?

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ANY AGP card will be better than the onboard video. S3 video was so bad the company went out of business. VIA bought what was left to use that technology in their chipsets. That should tell you something about VIA, nobody else would touch that junk.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>