Problems with XP SP2 and IE

Hi, I hope someone can help me. I have been running XP Pro on my Toshiba
Laptop for about 14 months now and no probs (XP is OEM). Just recentley I
switched over to broadband in the hope of saving some time & money. . .
The first place I went to (after AVG) was microsoft to check gfor updates. I
saw the new service pack and immediately downloaded and the new spyware tool
it because I'd been swamped by viruses in the past. Anyway just a couple of
days after running XP SP2 Internet Explorer would always show me the "cannot
display page" error, blaming the failure on not being able to find the server
or "DNS". I checked with my broadband provider and they were able to ping to
my machine so I know it's not their fault. I have repeatedly checked for
viruses and spyware in case it is that and whilst I sometimes find some of
either or both, I'm not convinced that is the cause. This has been going on
for about a month now and I'm getting frustrated, even to the point of
buying XP and being tempted to reinstall it & start again- should I do this?
Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved. Thanks.

Firewall , or internet connection failure - Go to a command prompt and type in: netsh winsock reset and hit enter, restart the
machine. You will need to reinstall any programs which have added themselves to the winsock stack.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Ben_Quail" <Ben_Quail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:992435FE-B720-4947-A6B7-E2954FB679E9@microsoft.com...
> Hi, I hope someone can help me. I have been running XP Pro on my Toshiba
> Laptop for about 14 months now and no probs (XP is OEM). Just recentley I
> switched over to broadband in the hope of saving some time & money. . .
> The first place I went to (after AVG) was microsoft to check gfor updates. I
> saw the new service pack and immediately downloaded and the new spyware tool
> it because I'd been swamped by viruses in the past. Anyway just a couple of
> days after running XP SP2 Internet Explorer would always show me the "cannot
> display page" error, blaming the failure on not being able to find the server
> or "DNS". I checked with my broadband provider and they were able to ping to
> my machine so I know it's not their fault. I have repeatedly checked for
> viruses and spyware in case it is that and whilst I sometimes find some of
> either or both, I'm not convinced that is the cause. This has been going on
> for about a month now and I'm getting frustrated, even to the point of
> buying XP and being tempted to reinstall it & start again- should I do this?
> Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved. Thanks.

Thanks, I gave it a go but it didn't help at all. Any other options?

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Firewall , or internet connection failure - Go to a command prompt and type in: netsh winsock reset and hit enter, restart the
> machine. You will need to reinstall any programs which have added themselves to the winsock stack.
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "Ben_Quail" <Ben_Quail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:992435FE-B720-4947-A6B7-E2954FB679E9@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, I hope someone can help me. I have been running XP Pro on my Toshiba
> > Laptop for about 14 months now and no probs (XP is OEM). Just recentley I
> > switched over to broadband in the hope of saving some time & money. . .
> > The first place I went to (after AVG) was microsoft to check gfor updates. I
> > saw the new service pack and immediately downloaded and the new spyware tool
> > it because I'd been swamped by viruses in the past. Anyway just a couple of
> > days after running XP SP2 Internet Explorer would always show me the "cannot
> > display page" error, blaming the failure on not being able to find the server
> > or "DNS". I checked with my broadband provider and they were able to ping to
> > my machine so I know it's not their fault. I have repeatedly checked for
> > viruses and spyware in case it is that and whilst I sometimes find some of
> > either or both, I'm not convinced that is the cause. This has been going on
> > for about a month now and I'm getting frustrated, even to the point of
> > buying XP and being tempted to reinstall it & start again- should I do this?
> > Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved. Thanks.

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )