Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PNY lifetime warranty?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 27, 2003 1:20:37 AM

My PNY brand video card went bad this week. Less than a year old. "Lifetime" warranty. Problem is:
"Lifetime Replacemtn Warranty is given to all PNY Verto Graphics Cards. This warranty is for replacement for like items only. Lifetime Replacement Warranty does not cover items out of production if PNY no longer stocks them. (Lifetime is defined as the lifetime of the product on the market. Outdated technology is not covered by lifetime warrnaty if the item is no longer available on the common market as a new product."

In other words, you buy a card and the next week they no longer make it, your warranty is gone.

WOW!

More about : pny lifetime warranty

October 27, 2003 2:11:36 AM

:lol:  I posted the same thing on another board some time ago...So basically their "Lifetime Warranty" is about 6 months
October 27, 2003 2:29:13 AM

dont get me STARTED ON PNY

UFO! would you kindly explain to them how crappy PNY is before I HAVE TO DO IT!

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
bring it fanATics~~ nVidia PWNS all!
SCREW aBOX! LONG LIVE nBOX!!
Related resources
October 27, 2003 3:39:11 AM

Coolsquirtle could you and UFO both do it?

-Intel PIV 2.6C @ 3.575G -Asus P4P800 -OCZ Copper 2x256 4000EL memory @ 275mhz 3-4-4-8 -Sapphire 9800np @ 432/780 -SB audigy -120G Maxtor Diamond Plus9 S-ATA150 hdd -450 Enermax PSU
October 27, 2003 3:52:47 AM

hmmm let UFO do it first cause i'll get too aggressive

120% nVidia Fanboy
October 27, 2003 5:06:58 AM

PNY is about the worst company, tech wise, that I've had to work with. My PNY Geforce 3 Ti-500 had TV out problems. It would only work with the drivers that shipped in the box. Any updated drivers would not work. However, it worked with Tvtool. I had a nice email battle with PNY trying to figure out why this was and they finally just ignored me. I fixed the problem eventually by flashing it with a Nvidia reference BIOS. It's always had little "ticks" in the graphics though. I'll be running at 150fps but it will still occasionally freeze just long enough to notice it. I was informed of their total horseshit warranty at the time. I can't believe there hasn't been a class action lawsuit yet. Neither I nor any of my customers will ever purchase PNY products again. (We won't even get into the RAM problems)

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2500+ @ 3200+/200, A7N8X Dlx, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, GF3 Ti-500, Audigy Platinum, 1/4 TB of storage, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled
October 27, 2003 3:03:25 PM

I've had a couple of PNY cards and they have worked fine, I have never had to contact them for anything though. Strange that they are listed as one of the BEST on the graphics card buying guide sticky post.....
October 27, 2003 3:22:16 PM

Okay Coolsquirtle, here goes: PNY doesn't make <i>bad</i> cards but Coolsquirtle has had a very dissapointing, not to mention frustrating experience in dealing with the PNY Customer Support staff. His card became glitchy and he sent it back to PNY, even thought the "Technicians" could not find "any fault whatsoever" with the card, they insisted on sending him the glitchy card back toly CS and even though CS was clearly having problems with the card's functionality. SO when he received the card back, guess what? It STILL failed, those idiot techs probably tested the Windows Desktop Environment with it, maybe clicked a couple icons like Microsoft Word or somehthing and probably did NOT run a series of tests with games, CS's primary purpose for owning the card. It took about more than 2 months, (maybe more than 3 months) to get the situation finally resolved and by that time, his dad had ordered a Radeon 9600 Pro card (which turned out to be Gigacube :frown: ). On top of all this, Coolsquirtle's Penitum 4 CPU that he was going to use for his Canterwood chipset motherboard arrived with <b><font color=red>BENT PINS</b></font color=red>!

</font color=red><A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new"><b><font color=red>BATTLE FOR JUSTICE - REPEAL SPUD'S BAN TODAY!</b></font color=red></A>
October 27, 2003 3:28:44 PM

I guess as long the product functions fine, we are all happy. When you have to actually deal with the company, that is what 'makes or breaks' them as a "GOOD" company.
October 27, 2003 9:50:28 PM

nods~~~ :D 

120% nVidia Fanboy
October 28, 2003 7:42:45 AM

I have a TI4200 that lasted only a year. It works, but does crash computer during gaming and benchmarks. I am loath to trust PNY after seeing many comments about them, but I will try.

I am sticking with PNY because ATI's don't seem happy with my Asus nvidia chipset MB. PNY cards install perfectly in the WIN98SE system.

I just got a FX5200. Benchmarks showed it a piece of s*it. Even my MW4 game don't like it much. So I am trying a FX5900 now. What a difference!!!! BUT........ this time I got the extended warranty from COMPUSA. Should have done that for the first one.
March 27, 2010 6:27:18 PM

Well after running a PNY 8800 GT for about 16 months it finally bit the dust. It wasn't immediately obvious, but I've had problems with this card for about 6 months before it finally failed completely. I used it primarily to play WoW. The first problems started showing up about 6 months ago when WoW would crash with fatal errors in some regions of the game, typically in the same region every time. I found that by reducing some of the graphics settings in game that this problem was suppressed, but never completely eliminated. I dealt with this problem on and off for about 5 months and then it became much worse, occurring more frequently and in more places. It then got so bad that it not only caused WoW itself to crash, but would lock up my entire computer system. Then I rebooted and my problem became more clear, the ASCII graphics at boot-up were polluted with vertical dashes from top to bottom. The graphics card was kaput, FUBAR. It would work okay on the Windows desktop, but as soon as it was taxed with any form of 3D acceleration it would lock up the entire computer.

I still had an older eVGA 7800 GTX sitting in my old computer, so I popped that bad boy in my current system and amazingly everything works fine again! That eVGA card is going on 3 years old now and works like new. The only thing I've never liked about it is that it runs very hot, but a running graphics card, no matter how hot, is better than a lemon card. I'll try to contact PNY for warrenty recovery, but based on what I've read I am not hopeful. I'll just remember to steer clear of PNY graphics cards from now on.
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2010 6:32:48 PM

Raligard said:
Well after running a PNY 8800 GT for about 16 months it finally bit the dust. It wasn't immediately obvious, but I've had problems with this card for about 6 months before it finally failed completely. I used it primarily to play WoW. The first problems started showing up about 6 months ago when WoW would crash with fatal errors in some regions of the game, typically in the same region every time. I found that by reducing some of the graphics settings in game that this problem was suppressed, but never completely eliminated. I dealt with this problem on and off for about 5 months and then it became much worse, occurring more frequently and in more places. It then got so bad that it not only caused WoW itself to crash, but would lock up my entire computer system. Then I rebooted and my problem became more clear, the ASCII graphics at boot-up were polluted with vertical dashes from top to bottom. The graphics card was kaput, FUBAR. It would work okay on the Windows desktop, but as soon as it was taxed with any form of 3D acceleration it would lock up the entire computer.

I still had an older eVGA 7800 GTX sitting in my old computer, so I popped that bad boy in my current system and amazingly everything works fine again! That eVGA card is going on 3 years old now and works like new. The only thing I've never liked about it is that it runs very hot, but a running graphics card, no matter how hot, is better than a lemon card. I'll try to contact PNY for warrenty recovery, but based on what I've read I am not hopeful. I'll just remember to steer clear of PNY graphics cards from now on.

... Just FYI this thread is almost over 7 years old....
10-28-2003 at 04:42:45 AM
March 3, 2012 5:10:55 PM

AsAnAtheist said:
... Just FYI this thread is almost over 7 years old....
10-28-2003 at 04:42:45 AM

good thing the internet is more than 7 years old... ;) 

i had the same problem with pny dual 9600 GT so 16 months must be their [pathetic, pre-programmed] shelf-life. boo on PNY!

I miss voodoo, they made good cards back in the day.
!