Windows won't boot with a second stick of RAM

fatboy

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2002

I recently reinstalled XP and SP2. Since I have done that windows will not
boot when I put my second stick of 512 RAM in. Before I had to reinstall both
sticks of RAM worked fine. I even put two brand new ram sticks in and
anything more than one stick of 512 causes XP not to boot. I have a Gigabyte
motherboard that supports up to 3gig of RAM. Any ideas?

"fatboy" <fatboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently reinstalled XP and SP2. Since I have done that windows
>will not
> boot when I put my second stick of 512 RAM in. Before I had to
> reinstall both
> sticks of RAM worked fine. I even put two brand new ram sticks in
> and
> anything more than one stick of 512 causes XP not to boot. I have a
> Gigabyte
> motherboard that supports up to 3gig of RAM. Any ideas?

Make sure the ram you are using is in fact compatible with your MB
Try resetting your Bios using the hardware jumper. Latches onto memory
settings and won't let go sometimes. I've had this exact same trouble
with the MB I am writing from using 2 brand new sticks of Mushkin ram.
If that doesn't work, then try "load safe defaults" in the Bios. That
will give you conservative settings in the Bios. If that does not work
try each stick separately and make sure each works and then try
installing them in a different order. Most people don't pay attention
to static but is in fact a real killer of electronic parts. When you
try booting with each stick individually make sure you run a mem
checking program on them.