Sign in with
Your question

Laptop turns on but no picture? Help me diagnose

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
April 10, 2012 5:47:29 AM

I have an old laptop that I been laying aside for awhile. Mostly because I can't fix it and couldn't figure out what's wrong.

When I turn on the laptop, the power lights etc lights up. It has power but the screen has no picture. It doesn't even give me any respond not even a blank screen. Also I notice the fan(might be the CPU fan) doesn't spin as well. There are also no harddrive loading startup sound.

What could be wrong with it?

Is the harddrive dead? Or is the CPU dead? Or is it the lcd screen that died?

Can it still be fix? Or should I even bother?

Thank you in advance!
a c 572 D Laptop
April 10, 2012 10:13:05 AM

Hello smashhell;

Have you tried hooking up the laptop to an external monitor?

Hold the laptop screen next to a lamp or shine a flashlight on the screen.
Can you notice any faint text with the extra light?
m
l
a c 204 D Laptop
April 10, 2012 3:42:19 PM

What model laptop is it? There are several laptops that are known for this type of issue, some HP models especially. Basically, the motherboard and/or the video chip dies.
m
l
Related resources
April 13, 2012 6:04:27 PM

@WR2 yep nothing comes up when hooked up to another monitor. There isn't any power to the laptop screen as well.
@hang-the-9 There isn't a brand to this laptop. :/ 
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
April 13, 2012 6:43:54 PM

It's hard to troubleshoot a problem - when it seems everything isn't working.
Without having a cache of known good working parts (working hard drive for example) you're probably not going to be able to track down the root cause without some serious tech support at a repair shop.
m
l
September 17, 2012 5:12:28 PM

hang-the-9 said:
What model laptop is it? There are several laptops that are known for this type of issue, some HP models especially. Basically, the motherboard and/or the video chip dies.

I seem to have an issue similar to this. The laptop works fine with no issues when connected to an external monitor. The laptop screen powers up and will flash but the picture will not come up. I have checked that it is not set to external screen only. It's an HP Elitebook 6930p.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
m
l
!