hal.dll problem

syl

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004

I have a computer with winxp on. I just removed lots of spyware and kazaa. I
was able to restart a few times but then I got an error on startup about the
hal.dll file being corrupt. I will use the repair feature on the recovery
disc and see if I can fix the dll file. My question is if I have to reinstall
XP is there a way I can do it without losing all my files and programs? I
have searched the net and see most people say that the hal.dll error is not
easy to fix, has anyone ever got this error to go away? Thanks in advance for
any help.

Hi Syl,

You can do a repair install using your WinXP disc. Make sure you set the
boot order to CD first in the BIOS.
After you accept the EULA, choose the Repair option and not the setup fresh
copy of Windows.

Post back with results.
Newtechie

"Syl" <Syl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a computer with winxp on. I just removed lots of spyware and kazaa.
> was able to restart a few times but then I got an error on startup about
> the
> hal.dll file being corrupt. I will use the repair feature on the recovery
> disc and see if I can fix the dll file. My question is if I have to
> reinstall
> XP is there a way I can do it without losing all my files and programs? I
> have searched the net and see most people say that the hal.dll error is
> not
> easy to fix, has anyone ever got this error to go away? Thanks in advance
> for
> any help.

syl

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004

Is this a fix for the hal.dll or will this install XP again save all my data
and programs? Thanks for your help.

"Newtechie" wrote:

> Hi Syl,
>
> You can do a repair install using your WinXP disc. Make sure you set the
> boot order to CD first in the BIOS.
> After you accept the EULA, choose the Repair option and not the setup fresh
> copy of Windows.
>
> Post back with results.
> Newtechie
>
> "Syl" <Syl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a computer with winxp on. I just removed lots of spyware and kazaa.
> > was able to restart a few times but then I got an error on startup about
> > the
> > hal.dll file being corrupt. I will use the repair feature on the recovery
> > disc and see if I can fix the dll file. My question is if I have to
> > reinstall
> > XP is there a way I can do it without losing all my files and programs? I
> > have searched the net and see most people say that the hal.dll error is
> > not
> > easy to fix, has anyone ever got this error to go away? Thanks in advance
> > for
> > any help.

The repair install will reinstall XP but you'll still have your files and
programs.

> Is this a fix for the hal.dll or will this install XP again save all my
> data
> and programs? Thanks for your help.
>
> "Newtechie" wrote:
>
>> Hi Syl,
>>
>> You can do a repair install using your WinXP disc. Make sure you set the
>> boot order to CD first in the BIOS.
>> After you accept the EULA, choose the Repair option and not the setup
>> fresh
>> copy of Windows.
>>
>> Post back with results.
>> Newtechie
>>
>> "Syl" <Syl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a computer with winxp on. I just removed lots of spyware and
>> >kazaa.
>> > was able to restart a few times but then I got an error on startup
>> > about
>> > the
>> > hal.dll file being corrupt. I will use the repair feature on the
>> > recovery
>> > disc and see if I can fix the dll file. My question is if I have to
>> > reinstall
>> > XP is there a way I can do it without losing all my files and programs?
>> > have searched the net and see most people say that the hal.dll error is
>> > not
>> > easy to fix, has anyone ever got this error to go away? Thanks in
>> > advance
>> > for
>> > any help.

Hi

Please try the following link to Kelly's web page:

"HAL - Hardware Abstraction Layer"
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Syl" <Syl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is this a fix for the hal.dll or will this install XP again save all my
> data
> and programs? Thanks for your help.
>
> "Newtechie" wrote:
>
>> Hi Syl,
>>
>> You can do a repair install using your WinXP disc. Make sure you set the
>> boot order to CD first in the BIOS.
>> After you accept the EULA, choose the Repair option and not the setup
>> fresh
>> copy of Windows.
>>
>> Post back with results.
>> Newtechie
>>
>> "Syl" <Syl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a computer with winxp on. I just removed lots of spyware and
>> >kazaa.
>> > was able to restart a few times but then I got an error on startup
>> > about
>> > the
>> > hal.dll file being corrupt. I will use the repair feature on the
>> > recovery
>> > disc and see if I can fix the dll file. My question is if I have to
>> > reinstall
>> > XP is there a way I can do it without losing all my files and programs?
>> > have searched the net and see most people say that the hal.dll error is
>> > not
>> > easy to fix, has anyone ever got this error to go away? Thanks in
>> > advance
>> > for
>> > any help.

syl

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004

Thanks for all your help. I Hope this works when I do the repair feature one.