9800 Pro or Fx 5900? Why can't I decide

bewshy

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
I can't decide on a 5900 Non-Ultra or a 9800 Pro. I've seen the 5900 for 220 and the 9800 128 MB pro for 300 OEM and 350 + 50 rebate for ATi Retail packaging. I returned my 5200 Ultra (due to posts from this board. thanks) and am wondering if it is worth it for the extra 100 bucks for the 9800 Pro. I have a 1 week old Barton 2500 w/ Kingston HyperX matched paid 2700 512MB (total) and an Aopen mobo nForce2 400 Ultra chipset. My HD is a maxtor 5200 ATA 100. The harddrive is being replaced within the next 1 - 2 months. I know that the ATI retail 9800 Pro comes with a cuepon for HL2.

I heard rumors that ATI cards had problems running with the

Thanks for any advice.

I heard rumors that ATI cards had problems running with the
If you could finish that sentence then we can advise.

As for the diff. Only YOU can decide whether it's worth the extra money. Are the fund in US dollars? I'd personally recommmend the R9800non-pro if you are worried about money concerns, they are availible for around the same price as the FX5900NU, Sapphire R9800 Atlantis $259 @ pricewatch.

The main thing is to look at the reviews and see which one plays the games YOU want to play best at the settings you like to play them. Also if you are insterested in playing HL2, then ATI may be your initial best choice dur to preliminary indications that the FX cards aren't as HL2 friendly (they will still play, but perhaps with some of the bells and whistles turned down/off).

They are both good cards in their own areas. The ATIs are more 'standard' IMO, but the FXs do have their performance points too.

Anywhoo, that's my two frames worth as usual.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

bewshy

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
My apologies for not finishing the sentence.

I heard that ATI cards had problems running with the nVidia chipsets on mobo's. I couldn't find any solid information re: this, so I'm assuming that it's someone "blabbing off" because they don't like nVidia or ATi. I could be wrong of course. Any clarification will be appreciated.

The funds will be US$. I'm leaning towards the 9800, due to the prelim HL2 benches and the fact that alot of the games I will be playing (according to in game benchmarks published on the web) will run better with the 9800. I've only owned Nvidia based cards since the original GeForce, but ATI is looking alot more appealing. From what I understand the 9800 Pro usually does alot better (in terms of fps) with FSAA or AF enabled. Also I'm looking for a card that will last a little longer (performance wise) as I am getting married and will not be able to upgrade for a while (1+ years).

Thanks again.

eb

as I am getting married and will not be able to upgrade for a while (1+ years).
Yeah I hear ya. You think it will only be about 1year. Hmm, I don't know, you may be starting your journey towards the household upgraditise ala 'we need new drapes, new need a new...' and don't forget college fund, etc. This may be the very last card you own! Do you take this woman to be your wife, foresaking all other diversions especially UT2K4, HL2, and D]|[? :evil:

Yeah the ATI w/ nV Mobo issue was a conspiracy rumour based on some early compatibility issues with the first ASUS A7N8X
mobos, heck there were even issues with the VIA KT400 based mobos and the R9700 version 1.0 - 1.4 cards. But that's mainly been solved and no different then compatibility issues with the nV hardware as well.

The R9800 is a pretty solid choice. And if you are interested in HL2 then yeah you will likely see some nice benifits/advantages.

Anywhoo, as you've done your research I'm sure you'll do well. Also rememebr that you may be able to overclock your R9800non-pro towards pro speeds, so you may get some nice performance increase down the line when you feel adventerous enough, but don't base your buying decision on potentially overclocking anything. It's just a nice bonus should you get it. And until the card is properly worn in/burned in, then I'd stay near stock speeds until you feel comfortable with risking an overclock.

Once again, just my two frames worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

bewshy

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
Thanks again for all of your help. I'm sucking it up and am going to purchase the 9800 Pro at Bestbuy for US$350 plus the $50 rebate. I figure if I have to return it, it'll be easier to do it there then online. Most of the cheap 9800 Pros I saw online for between 300-350 were OEM Sapphires or PowerColors.

Yeah I'm actually sneaking this purchase in under the radar. I told her that the 5200 Ultra was a used card I bought from a friend and now I sold it on ebay :) If she ever finds out the truth I'm a dead man.

IMO go with the Sapphires. The powercolors can come underclocked. Check this [H] article for what I"m talking about;

<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDgzLDI=" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDgzLDI=</A>

Pay particluar attention to the Overclocking segment where it says:

<i><b>Our PowerColor 9800 Pro video card was shipped with an oddity that hasn’t happened much around the bunker lately. The card was shipped severely underclocked. Default ATI 9800 Pro video card speeds are 380Mhz core and 340Mhz memory. The PowerColor 9800 Pro we received was clocked at 324Mhz core and 290Mhz memory. As you saw on the first page the labels and core do indicate that this card is indeed a 9800 Pro 128MB video card. Therefore all we can guess is that this was a fluke and the speed the card should operate at was incorrectly specified in the BIOS. </i></b>

Sapphire's pretty good for the most part. I'd rate them above most and below a few IMO.

Just thought you should be aware.

Good luck with your purchase.

shadowjack

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Novice here. But I did build an Asus MB desktop. Has nVidia chipset. I DID have problems installing an ATI, my first choice, when I built it. The PNY nVidia card (TI4200) went in smoothly. That card died. I tried a 5200, and Aquamark said it stank. I tried a 5900, and it is awesome.

twofruitz

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2003
thats like asking, if i had a million $$$ would i buy a light aeroplane or a concord.

the 9800pro is better in every way.

dont even consider the FX

---------
Intel PIV 2.4C @ 3.0G \
Asus P4C800 \
Corsair 2x512 3200LL memory \
Radeon 9600pro @ 500/700/1.35 \
SB Live 5.1 \
80G Seagate S-ATA150 \
430 Antec 1080AMG

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Ape is giving you solid information but I wanted to add that I use an Nforce2 and 9800Pro and no problems at all.
Usually thats novice user error when you get those complaints.

I was concerned about that issue also, thinking that ATI and/or NV put something in the drivers or even hardware to not work together.. but they wouldn't dare ruin their reputation by doing that.

Oh and I wanted to advise ya to NOT buy a built by ATI card (BBA), my 9800 was actually a Non-Pro card originally, I flashed the bios to a Pro.
So I've conversed with many 9800 owners of all brands and many I've came into contact with cannot clock as high when using BBA cards.

Probably a different voltage regulation.
Mines a Sapphire with Infineon (supposedly the bad memory) and I can not only hit Pro speeds, but the highest XT speeds without artifacts (of course I dont leave it there long).

I have tested about every bios out there on the internet for 9800s so if you find a good deal on a nonpro I can help you out. But I would suggest just getting a Pro to begin with.

Goodluck!

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>

bewshy

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
Last night I was asking some friends and the ones who had Sapphire cards seemed to be pretty happy with them. I'm picking up one on Thursday, because I've seen them around for 300-310 online.

Thanks everyone for your help.

spitoon

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?pid=7433&ad=pwatch" target="_new">http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?pid=7433&ad=pwatch</A>

Sapphire Radeon 9800 (np) 128MB for $259 and they claim "Free Ground Delivery"

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by spitoon on 10/28/03 01:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>