augustus108

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Could someone explain why is it that grahic on a gaming system, ie X-box or PS2 is better then on PC?
Is it possible to turn PC to a system like PS2, where by one could play game like Virtual Fighter 3, Tekken Tag?

System Integration...yeah right, thanks to marketing, more confusion

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
If the graphics on your game consoles are better then the graphics on your pc...then your pc is a piece of shiit.
Now get out of here and never come back.

<b>I help because you suck</b>

eden

Champion
Forgive the funny GW, he's a bit on PMS lately. He forgot to pick up the pills from me on his way home. :wink:

The main reason, is that TVs have low resolutions and with the blur created, you get the image your screen has very high polygons. Honestly any game on the PS2 can look phenomenal. Bring them to PC like THPS 3 and lo and behold, textures are horrible, polygons low, everything is pretty much sharpened till you can see the polygon holes! It's pretty screwed up, but the reality is console graphics are far weaker than PCs, however the TV's shortcomings turn that disadvantage into an illusionary advantage!

Hope this helps.

PS: Oh and you got emulators to play your console games on PC!

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
TVs only have to play games at around 512x240 resolution (I think that's about right), at 30 frames per second. Plug your console into a PC with TV-In and find out how bad the image looks on a high resolution monitor.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Pretty good, but not any better than if you set your video card's resolution at 640x480 and ran it though a dirty analog cable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RRAMJET

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
In theory games shouldn't be limited by resolution, look how good TV film is, there is no reason technology in the future games wont look like your average TV show. My point is there are and will be better ways to utilise TV resolution for gaming. This said , higher resolution will always have the advantage and thus we will see consoles utilise higher resolution as television tech improves

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!

twofruitz

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2003
xbox has the equivilent of about a ATI 9600 i think. it still cant outperform a pentium 486.

---------
Intel PIV 2.4C @ 3.0G \
Asus P4C800 \
Corsair 2x512 3200LL memory \
Radeon 9600pro @ 500/700/1.35 \
SB Live 5.1 \
80G Seagate S-ATA150 \
430 Antec 1080AMG

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
The Xbox chip is actually more like a Geforce 3.5. I forget the NV model number they gave it but it is definitely not a Ti200.

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :)

Thor1182

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2003
as an owner of an XBox, its more like a GF 3.5 than anything else. And it can do 1080i, 720P, 480i, and 480p. You need a HDTV and some component cables to do it, but it can be done. There are some games that look alot different with the HDTV stuff.

Halo looks beter on the xbox in my opinion, or at least for the amount of money you need to spend on hardware....

I'm a Computer Science and Electrical Engineering Student, not English, nor will I ever claim to be.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
YES!!! AWESOME!!! TOTALLY AWESOME!!

The GW I know and love has showed himself again!

That's exactly what I would have said to the bastard!

w00t!

SIGNATURE: Stop asking people "whats up" or "hows it goin", you know you don't give a sh*t. And noone cares how you're doing either.

"We are far less than we knew." - Bright Eyes

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Uh...Xbox and PS2 aren't even CLOSE to pc graphics if you are running a reasonably current machine.

When they debut they are better for sure, but once they're out for 6mo to a year pc's pass them up again. The reason they generally look better on equivilent hardware is the level of optimization that goes into them because developers don't have to hit a moving target as far as hardware goes... it's always consistant and remains the same.

Shadus

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
Get a card with video-out, put your PC where your TV is, buy a wireless gamepad, and voila! you have 'console quality' graphics on you PC!

<font color=blue>
The farce is ended; draw the curtain </font color=blue>

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
to be perfectly honest, I think consoles have pretty good graphics considering the technology is 3 years old.

<b>nVidia cheated on me so I left her for ATi. ATi's hotter anyway...</b>

eden

Champion
Again, the low resolution blur effect is always apparent and lets the image look far beyond even DOOM III!

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
I never said they didn't. I just said it doesn't compare to pc.

On equiv hardware, console is definetly better, because like I said above, console developers are aiming at a non-moving hardware target, they can program in alot of opts and not worry about them working for a few million different varieties of hardware and software combinations. They aim at one very very small set of hardware and software.

Shadus

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I agree - console graphics look better (initially) because of the relatively low resolution and the static/universal hardware parameters; console games can be great fun too, if you can manage to shrug off yer stupid PC snobbery...

PS. resolution matters because the GPU has to render more pixels with each resolution increases. If the output consisted of nothing but vectors, then resolution wouldn't matter; however, everything else has to be calculated on a per pixel basis. More pixels = more work = less frames per second.

"Some mice have two buttons. Macintosh has one. So it's extremely difficult to push the wrong button." - Apple ad. circa 1984.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
console games can be great fun too, if you can manage to shrug off yer stupid PC snobbery...
Yup - they can indeed... I'm still waiting for a PC Driving game that comes <i>close</i> to Gran Turismo 3...
And joypads are much better for some types of games anyway. (e.g. fighting games) Although I still get confused by anyone who thinks that a joypad is <i>remotely</i> suitable for an FPS (when compared to mouse/keyb combo that is) Can't stand it - I end up looking like I'm having a fit on screen or something.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Is it possible to turn PC to a system like PS2, where by one could play game like Virtual Fighter 3, Tekken Tag?
You can download an Emulator. PS2 discs are just DVD Roms, so you'd need a DVD ROM to run them.

I have no idea what PS2 emulators are like these days, but be aware that AFAIK it's copyright infringement if you don't actually own a PS2 and a legal copy of the game you're playing.

I have a pretty decent N64 Emulator (can't remember what it's called ATM)

I'm certain you wouldn't find anyone in a nice forum like this that would condone any sort of pirate activity[/sarcasm]

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I like your sig. Lets have sex.

SIGNATURE: Stop asking people "whats up" or "hows it goin", you know you don't give a sh*t. And noone cares how you're doing either.

"We are far less than we knew." - Bright Eyes

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
OOO! you've made me go all red...

<pre>Your place or mine?</pre><p>
---

eden

Champion
Willy wants sex now?
Wow!

--

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Hey, It's just the effect I have on people...

---