Help, please! Lost Taskbar, start menu and other functions

I had the HSA and/or CWS trojan. I was able to eradicate with on-line help
from short-media.com, but after that I now have these issues:

1. no taskbar or start menu (I already checked auto-hide and always on top
settings and they look fine.) I also downloaded Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm, but can't run it.

2. machine seems to be running using 100% resources (something in background?)

3. links are disabled

4. cannot COPY, PASTE or MOVE files, folders or text

I also can't find system restore, as I thought I might use that to go to a
point before the virus struck.

I have XP Pro on a Dell machine and I am running McAfee virus scan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Ben
1 answer Last reply
More about help please lost taskbar start menu functions

    You need to find the name of the executable files you are trying to use
    and then do the CTRL+aLT+DeL to get task manager. Once you have it
    then go to file and run and navigate to your "program files" directory
    and start thos programs. If they don't fix your problem then you break
    out the xp cd and do a setup but work very slowly and read carefully
    every dialogue. You want to get it to do a full repair of your system.
    Once you get to the first screen select the fresh installation and
    when it asks you to do a quick repair then select this. Again read
    carefully the menu options because you can end up reinstqalling windows
    fresh destroying all your data so work slowly. If that doesn't work
    come back and post what you have done on the news group.

    I guess it goes without saying also goes without saying that you should
    call DELL if you can because they may either have better instructions
    or you might not have a full XP CD but whatevewr system restore stuff
    they ship on new systems.

    johnt

Taskbar Start Menu Windows XP