Error when installing programs

March 24, 2005 5:12:14 PM

I'm running XP Pro and I am getting an error when I try to install just
about anything.
The installation usually starts but somewhere before completing will give
me the error:
internal error 2203. C:\WINDOWS\installer\xxxxxxxx.ipi -2447247035
Now, the xxxxxxxx.ipi file doesn't actually appear in that directory, and is
named uniquely for each installation attempt.
The '-2447247035' appears in all errors, regardless of the app being
installed.
I have no idea how to correct this and was hoping someone could help me out!

--ScareCrowe
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 8:42:40 AM

Hi ScareCrowe,

Thanks for your post.

You have indicated that you receive an error message when you try to
install different applications. If I have misunderstood your concern,
please feel free to let me know.

First, perform a Clean Boot to check if the issue is caused by some third
party applications.

1. Click Start, click Run, and then in the Open box, type "MSCONFIG"
(without the quotation marks). Click OK.

2. In the System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) window, click to select
the Selective Startup button.

3. Click to clear the check mark from the "Load startup items" below
Selective Startup.

4. Click the Services tab, click to check the "Hide All Microsoft Services"
box, and remove all the check marks from the remained Non-Microsoft
Services. *note that please make sure that you do not uncheck the Microsoft
services.

5. Click OK to close the MSConfig window. Click Yes when you are asked to
restart your computer in order to enable the changes.

6. After restarting, please check whether this issue will reoccur.

If this issue does NOT reoccur following the Selective Startup, please
continue these steps to find the exact cause:

1. Click Start, click Run, in the Open box type "MSCONFIG" (without the
quotation marks), and click OK.

2. In the System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) window, click the Startup
tab or the Services tab.

3. Add one check mark at a time to the entries under the Startup tab or the
Services tab, and then restart each time to see if the additional entry
reproduces the original problem.

Second, check in Safe Mode.

I suggest we restart the computer in the Safe Mode to see if the problem
also occurs in the mode which loads a minimal protected-mode configuration,
disabling Windows device drivers and using the standard VGA display
adapter.

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep press F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose the Safe Mode, and press Enter.

Note: In the Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and
perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

Third, let's test the issue in the new user account.

1. Click Start, and click Control Panel.
2. Double-click "User Accounts".
3. Click the "Create a new account" link.
4. Follow the instructions to create a new account with Administrator
rights.
5. Log off the current user account and then log on the new account.
6. Test whether or not the issue disappears.

If the issue disappears in the new user account, there may be a file
corruption in your old user profile. In my experience, there are many
causes of user profile corruption. Finding the culprit may be time
consuming. In order to resolve the issue more efficiently, let's transfer
data from the old account to the new one. You can delete the old account
after you confirm everything works well in the new account.

Step one: You need to be logged in under the old account.
a. Click Start, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click
"Files and Settings Transfer Wizard".
b. Click Next, click Old Computer, and then click Next.
c. Select OTHER and BROWSE to the Desktop and Make a New Folder on your
Desktop that we will transfer the files and settings to. Call the folder
"migration", and click OK, then click Next.

d. Select the appropriate option for the items that you want to transfer:
- "Settings only"
- "Files only"
- "Both files and settings" - (I recommend transfering files and settings)
- Customize
e. Click Next, click OK, and then click Finish. (be prepared this may take
awhile)

Step two: Please log in under the new account.
a. Click Start, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click
"Files and Settings Transfer Wizard".
b. Click Next, and then click New Computer.
c. Click to select the "I don't need the wizard disk I have already
collected my files and settings from my old computer" check box.

d. Select OTHER then BROWSE
~ browse through this path to retrieve your old files and settings: -> My
Computer -> Local Hard Drive (C) -> Documents and Settings -> "Old User
Profile" -> Desktop-> look for the "migration" folder we created and click
the file included in it.

e. Click OK
f. Click Next (This may take some time)
g. Click Finish.
h. Select YES or No to log off of the computer. The new settings do not
take effect until you log off.

If the issue persists, please help me to capture a screenshot of the error
message in order to see the issue clearly:

1. When the error message appears, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on
your
keyboard.
2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit menu, click Save under the File
menu, type
file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", and click Save.
4. Please send this file to the email account: v-amanwa@microsoft.com.

Please take your time in trying the suggestions above and let me know the
result at your earliest convenience.

If you need any further assistance or have any concerns, please feel free
to let me know, and I will be glad to help.

Thanks & Regards

Amanda Wang [MSFT]

Microsoft Online Partner Support

March 28, 2005 6:34:15 PM

Hello Amanda,
I was unsuccessful in correcting the issue using your suggestions. As
you requested, I'm sending you a capture of the error msg window (I thought
this would be easier than full screen). I would like to add that I do seem
to be able to install some programs, just not those which utilize the msi
service.
Thanks much for all your help!

--ScareCrowe
March 30, 2005 12:49:34 AM

Well I tried everything you recommended except deleting the files and
extracting from the disk. I did not want to try that because I have v3
(KB884016) of the MS Installer and wasn't sure if repairing it with v2 files
would mess it up. I did, however, enable verbose logging and have pasted the
last section of it below, which seemed the most relevant part of the log.
FYI, the program I am attempting to install is TiVo Desktop 2.0.2. If you
want the whole log lemme know, and I'll post it.

Thanks again for the help!
--ScareCrowe

<snip>

MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:51:518]: Doing action: WiseAltStartup
Action start 20:32:51: WiseAltStartup.
MSI (s) (7C:8C) [20:32:51:528]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL:
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI119.tmp, Entrypoint: AltStartup
MSI (s) (7C:90) [20:32:51:528]: Generating random cookie.
MSI (s) (7C:90) [20:32:51:538]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 760
(0x2F8).
MSI (s) (7C:E8) [20:32:51:568]: Running as a service.
MSI (s) (7C:E8) [20:32:51:568]: Hello, I'm your 32bit Impersonated custom
action server.
Action 20:32:51: AltStartup. Extracting properties...
AltStartup: ProductCode
AltStartup: ProductName
AltStartup: ProductVersion
AltStartup: Manufacturer
AltStartup: MOONLIGHTCODEC
AltStartup: ReinstallFileOlderVersion
AltStartup: ReinstallRepair
AltStartup: Help
AltStartup: TARGETDIR
AltStartup: USERNAME
AltStartup: InstallMode
AltStartup: ErrorDialog
AltStartup: Accept
AltStartup: DefaultUIFont
AltStartup: PrintHoodFolder
AltStartup: TRANSFERSERVICENAME
AltStartup: FontsFolder
AltStartup: ProductID
AltStartup: CommonFilesFolder
AltStartup: TiVo_Shared
AltStartup: TempFolder
AltStartup: StartMenuFolder
AltStartup: GAC
AltStartup: PASSWORD_ERROR
AltStartup: VALIDCODEC
AltStartup: FavoritesFolder
AltStartup: System16Folder
AltStartup: SecureCustomProperties
AltStartup: WiseInitSuffix
AltStartup: PrimaryVolumeSpaceRemaining
AltStartup: PrimaryVolumeSpaceRequired
AltStartup: PrimaryVolumeSpaceAvailable
AltStartup: OutOfNoRbDiskSpace
AltStartup: OutOfDiskSpace
AltStartup: DiskPrompt
AltStartup: ApplicationUsers
AltStartup: MyPicturesFolder
AltStartup: DesktopFolder
AltStartup: INSTALLDIR1
AltStartup: SendToFolder
AltStartup: NetHoodFolder
AltStartup: RecentFolder
AltStartup: CommonAppDataFolder
AltStartup: PersonalFolder
AltStartup: SystemFolder
AltStartup: TiVo_Desktop
AltStartup: TemplateFolder
AltStartup: AppDataFolder
AltStartup: WindowsFolder
AltStartup: StartupFolder
AltStartup: ProgramMenuFolder
AltStartup: UpgradeCode
AltStartup: CHOSENVIDEOSDIR
AltStartup: _WiseDebugMode
AltStartup: WiseInitExistError
AltStartup: WiseInitSpaceError
AltStartup: _WiseDialogTitleFontDefault
AltStartup: WiseCRLF
AltStartup: _WiseDialogFontDefault
AltStartup: PRIMARYFOLDER
AltStartup: INSTALLDIR
AltStartup: COMPANYNAME
AltStartup: CALYPSOPHOTOSDIR
AltStartup: VIDEOSDIR
AltStartup: WiseInitAdminError
AltStartup: PASSWORDSTATUS
AltStartup: ProductLanguage
AltStartup: WiseInitPrefix
AltStartup: CostingComplete
AltStartup: WinSxS
AltStartup: AdminToolsFolder
AltStartup: MaintenanceMode
AltStartup: LocalAppDataFolder
AltStartup: VersionNT
AltStartup: ARPNOMODIFY
AltStartup: PIDTemplate
AltStartup: _WiseDialogSuffix
AltStartup: INSTALLLEVEL
AltStartup: Preselected
AltStartup: UILevel
AltStartup: OriginalDatabase
AltStartup: DATABASE
AltStartup: Privileged
AltStartup: Date
AltStartup: Time
AltStartup: RedirectedDllSupport
AltStartup: MsiWin32AssemblySupport
AltStartup: TTCSupport
AltStartup: ColorBits
AltStartup: TextHeight
AltStartup: BorderSide
AltStartup: BorderTop
AltStartup: CaptionHeight
AltStartup: ScreenY
AltStartup: ScreenX
AltStartup: SystemLanguageID
AltStartup: ComputerName
AltStartup: UserLanguageID
AltStartup: UserSID
AltStartup: LogonUser
AltStartup: AdminUser
AltStartup: VirtualMemory
AltStartup: PhysicalMemory
AltStartup: Intel
AltStartup: ShellAdvtSupport
AltStartup: OLEAdvtSupport
AltStartup: GPTSupport
AltStartup: APPS_TEST
AltStartup: DESKTOPSHORTCUT
AltStartup: ProgramFilesFolder
AltStartup: RemoteAdminTS
AltStartup: ReinstallFileVersion
AltStartup: MAK_STATUS
AltStartup: HMOANSWER
AltStartup: ARPURLINFOABOUT
AltStartup: Beacon
AltStartup: WindowsVolume
AltStartup: MsiNTProductType
AltStartup: ServicePackLevelMinor
AltStartup: WiseInitLangDefault
AltStartup: INTERVIDEOCODEC
AltStartup: _WiseStatusMifSMSVer
AltStartup: ServicePackLevel
AltStartup: STARTTIVODESKTOP
AltStartup: WindowsBuild
AltStartup: VersionMsi
AltStartup: WWWROOT
AltStartup: ADDLOCAL
AltStartup: WISE_SETUP_EXE_PATH
AltStartup: CURRENTDIRECTORY
AltStartup: CLIENTUILEVEL
AltStartup: CLIENTPROCESSID
AltStartup: ACTION
AltStartup: ProfilesFolder
AltStartup: EXECUTEACTION
AltStartup: DirectShow
AltStartup: ROOTDRIVE
AltStartup: VersionDatabase
AltStartup: ALLUSERS
AltStartup: SECONDSEQUENCE
AltStartup: PackagecodeChanging
AltStartup: ProductState
AltStartup: CALYPSOMUSICDIR
AltStartup: TRANSFERSERVICEPRESENT
AltStartup: PackageCode
AltStartup: SYSTEMMUSICDIR
AltStartup: Transfer
AltStartup: SONICCODEC
AltStartup: images
AltStartup: css
AltStartup: CYBERLINKCODEC
AltStartup: _WiseStatusMifPDFVer
AltStartup: PrimaryVolumePath
Action 20:32:52: WiseAltStartup. Extracting directories...
WiseAltStartup: Help
WiseAltStartup: TARGETDIR
WiseAltStartup: PrintHoodFolder
WiseAltStartup: FontsFolder
WiseAltStartup: CommonFilesFolder
WiseAltStartup: TiVo_Shared
WiseAltStartup: TempFolder
WiseAltStartup: StartMenuFolder
WiseAltStartup: GAC
WiseAltStartup: FavoritesFolder
WiseAltStartup: System16Folder
WiseAltStartup: MyPicturesFolder
WiseAltStartup: DesktopFolder
WiseAltStartup: INSTALLDIR1
WiseAltStartup: SendToFolder
WiseAltStartup: NetHoodFolder
WiseAltStartup: RecentFolder
WiseAltStartup: CommonAppDataFolder
WiseAltStartup: PersonalFolder
WiseAltStartup: SystemFolder
WiseAltStartup: TiVo_Desktop
WiseAltStartup: TemplateFolder
WiseAltStartup: AppDataFolder
WiseAltStartup: WindowsFolder
WiseAltStartup: StartupFolder
WiseAltStartup: ProgramMenuFolder
WiseAltStartup: INSTALLDIR
WiseAltStartup: VIDEOSDIR
WiseAltStartup: WinSxS
WiseAltStartup: AdminToolsFolder
WiseAltStartup: LocalAppDataFolder
WiseAltStartup: ProgramFilesFolder
WiseAltStartup: Beacon
WiseAltStartup: WWWROOT
WiseAltStartup: ProfilesFolder
WiseAltStartup: DirectShow
WiseAltStartup: Transfer
WiseAltStartup: images
WiseAltStartup: css
Action ended 20:32:52: WiseAltStartup. Return value 1.
MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:580]: Doing action: InstallInitialize
Action start 20:32:52: InstallInitialize.
MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:580]: Machine policy value 'AlwaysInstallElevated'
is 0
MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:580]: User policy value 'AlwaysInstallElevated' is
0
MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:580]: BeginTransaction: Locking Server
MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:580]: Machine policy value
'LimitSystemRestoreCheckpointing' is 0
MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:580]: Note: 1: 1715 2: TiVo Desktop
MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:580]: Calling SRSetRestorePoint API.
dwRestorePtType: 0, dwEventType: 102, llSequenceNumber: 0, szDescription:
"Installed TiVo Desktop".
MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:590]: The call to SRSetRestorePoint API succeeded.
Returned status: 0, llSequenceNumber: 3.
MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:590]: Server not locked: locking for product
{4E839090-3B68-436A-B3CF-A2A08C38DD26}
MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:630]: Note: 1: 2203 2:
C:\WINDOWS\Installer\6575d2b.ipi 3: -2147287035
DEBUG: Error 2203: Database: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\6575d2b.ipi. Cannot open
database file. System error -2147287035
DEBUG: Error 2835: The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog
ErrorDialog
Internal Error 2835. ErrorIcon, ErrorDialog

</snip>
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:53:40 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Based on the current situation, I want to know if you can access the
C:\Windows\Installer\33c77.ipi files. If you can, please delete it to
Recycle bin and reinstall the TiVo Desktop 2.0.2 to check the issue again.

You have mentioned KB884016, I think you have tried to reinstall v3 again
but I don't think it is helpful. If the issue still persists after
checking these steps, please perform the following steps to repair the XP
system.

1. Place the Windows XP CD in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.

2. If the Windows CD displays the What would you like to do? menu, click
Exit.

3. Turn off your computer, wait ten seconds, and then turn your computer
back on.

4. If you are prompted to start your computer from the CD, do so.

5. After Windows XP Setup starts, press ENTER to continue the setup process.

6. Press ENTER to choose the option "To set up Windows XP now, press
ENTER". Do not choose the Recovery Console option.

7. Press F8 to accept the licensing agreement.

8. At this point, the Setup program will search for previous installations
of Windows XP.

- If Setup does not find a previous installation of Windows XP, then
you might have a hardware failure.

- If Setup does find a previous installation of Windows XP, then the
following message will appear:

If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, setup can
try to repair it. Use the up and down arrows to select an installation. To
repair the selected installation Press R. To continue without repairing,
Press Esc.

9. Choose the appropriate installation of Windows XP, and then press R to
attempt to repair it.

10. Follow the remaining directions on your screen.

Note: Some updates or drivers may need to be reinstalled after System
Repair.

For more detail about repair installation, please refer to link below:

KB315341: How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

Hope that helps. If you have any new findings or some other questions
regarding this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards

Amanda Wang[MSFT]

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/suppo...
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/suppo...

Support page: