Error when installing programs

I'm running XP Pro and I am getting an error when I try to install just
about anything.
The installation usually starts but somewhere before completing will give
me the error:
internal error 2203. C:\WINDOWS\installer\xxxxxxxx.ipi -2447247035
Now, the xxxxxxxx.ipi file doesn't actually appear in that directory, and is
named uniquely for each installation attempt.
The '-2447247035' appears in all errors, regardless of the app being
installed.
I have no idea how to correct this and was hoping someone could help me out!

--ScareCrowe
4 answers Last reply
More about error installing programs

    Hi ScareCrowe,

    Thanks for your post.

    You have indicated that you receive an error message when you try to
    install different applications. If I have misunderstood your concern,
    please feel free to let me know.

    First, perform a Clean Boot to check if the issue is caused by some third
    party applications.

    1. Click Start, click Run, and then in the Open box, type "MSCONFIG"
    (without the quotation marks). Click OK.

    2. In the System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) window, click to select
    the Selective Startup button.

    3. Click to clear the check mark from the "Load startup items" below
    Selective Startup.

    4. Click the Services tab, click to check the "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    box, and remove all the check marks from the remained Non-Microsoft
    Services. *note that please make sure that you do not uncheck the Microsoft
    services.

    5. Click OK to close the MSConfig window. Click Yes when you are asked to
    restart your computer in order to enable the changes.

    6. After restarting, please check whether this issue will reoccur.

    If this issue does NOT reoccur following the Selective Startup, please
    continue these steps to find the exact cause:

    1. Click Start, click Run, in the Open box type "MSCONFIG" (without the
    quotation marks), and click OK.

    2. In the System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) window, click the Startup
    tab or the Services tab.

    3. Add one check mark at a time to the entries under the Startup tab or the
    Services tab, and then restart each time to see if the additional entry
    reproduces the original problem.

    Second, check in Safe Mode.

    I suggest we restart the computer in the Safe Mode to see if the problem
    also occurs in the mode which loads a minimal protected-mode configuration,
    disabling Windows device drivers and using the standard VGA display
    adapter.

    1. Restart the computer.

    2. Keep press F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

    3. Choose the Safe Mode, and press Enter.

    Note: In the Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and
    perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

    Third, let's test the issue in the new user account.

    1. Click Start, and click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click "User Accounts".
    3. Click the "Create a new account" link.
    4. Follow the instructions to create a new account with Administrator
    rights.
    5. Log off the current user account and then log on the new account.
    6. Test whether or not the issue disappears.

    If the issue disappears in the new user account, there may be a file
    corruption in your old user profile. In my experience, there are many
    causes of user profile corruption. Finding the culprit may be time
    consuming. In order to resolve the issue more efficiently, let's transfer
    data from the old account to the new one. You can delete the old account
    after you confirm everything works well in the new account.

    Step one: You need to be logged in under the old account.
    a. Click Start, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click
    "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard".
    b. Click Next, click Old Computer, and then click Next.
    c. Select OTHER and BROWSE to the Desktop and Make a New Folder on your
    Desktop that we will transfer the files and settings to. Call the folder
    "migration", and click OK, then click Next.

    d. Select the appropriate option for the items that you want to transfer:
    - "Settings only"
    - "Files only"
    - "Both files and settings" - (I recommend transfering files and settings)
    - Customize
    e. Click Next, click OK, and then click Finish. (be prepared this may take
    awhile)

    Step two: Please log in under the new account.
    a. Click Start, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click
    "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard".
    b. Click Next, and then click New Computer.
    c. Click to select the "I don't need the wizard disk I have already
    collected my files and settings from my old computer" check box.

    d. Select OTHER then BROWSE
    ~ browse through this path to retrieve your old files and settings: -> My
    Computer -> Local Hard Drive (C) -> Documents and Settings -> "Old User
    Profile" -> Desktop-> look for the "migration" folder we created and click
    the file included in it.

    e. Click OK
    f. Click Next (This may take some time)
    g. Click Finish.
    h. Select YES or No to log off of the computer. The new settings do not
    take effect until you log off.

    If the issue persists, please help me to capture a screenshot of the error
    message in order to see the issue clearly:

    1. When the error message appears, press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on
    your
    keyboard.
    2. Click Start, click Run, type MSPAINT, and click OK.
    3. In Paint, click Paste under the Edit menu, click Save under the File
    menu, type
    file name for the snap shot, choose JPEG as "Save as type", and click Save.
    4. Please send this file to the email account: v-amanwa@microsoft.com.

    Please take your time in trying the suggestions above and let me know the
    result at your earliest convenience.

    If you need any further assistance or have any concerns, please feel free
    to let me know, and I will be glad to help.

    Thanks & Regards

    Amanda Wang [MSFT]

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Hello Amanda,
    I was unsuccessful in correcting the issue using your suggestions. As
    you requested, I'm sending you a capture of the error msg window (I thought
    this would be easier than full screen). I would like to add that I do seem
    to be able to install some programs, just not those which utilize the msi
    service.
    Thanks much for all your help!

    --ScareCrowe

    Well I tried everything you recommended except deleting the files and
    extracting from the disk. I did not want to try that because I have v3
    (KB884016) of the MS Installer and wasn't sure if repairing it with v2 files
    would mess it up. I did, however, enable verbose logging and have pasted the
    last section of it below, which seemed the most relevant part of the log.
    FYI, the program I am attempting to install is TiVo Desktop 2.0.2. If you
    want the whole log lemme know, and I'll post it.

    Thanks again for the help!
    --ScareCrowe

    <snip>

    MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:51:518]: Doing action: WiseAltStartup
    Action start 20:32:51: WiseAltStartup.
    MSI (s) (7C:8C) [20:32:51:528]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL:
    C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI119.tmp, Entrypoint: AltStartup
    MSI (s) (7C:90) [20:32:51:528]: Generating random cookie.
    MSI (s) (7C:90) [20:32:51:538]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 760
    (0x2F8).
    MSI (s) (7C:E8) [20:32:51:568]: Running as a service.
    MSI (s) (7C:E8) [20:32:51:568]: Hello, I'm your 32bit Impersonated custom
    action server.
    Action 20:32:51: AltStartup. Extracting properties...
    AltStartup: ProductCode
    AltStartup: ProductName
    AltStartup: ProductVersion
    AltStartup: Manufacturer
    AltStartup: MOONLIGHTCODEC
    AltStartup: ReinstallFileOlderVersion
    AltStartup: ReinstallRepair
    AltStartup: Help
    AltStartup: TARGETDIR
    AltStartup: USERNAME
    AltStartup: InstallMode
    AltStartup: ErrorDialog
    AltStartup: Accept
    AltStartup: DefaultUIFont
    AltStartup: PrintHoodFolder
    AltStartup: TRANSFERSERVICENAME
    AltStartup: FontsFolder
    AltStartup: ProductID
    AltStartup: CommonFilesFolder
    AltStartup: TiVo_Shared
    AltStartup: TempFolder
    AltStartup: StartMenuFolder
    AltStartup: GAC
    AltStartup: PASSWORD_ERROR
    AltStartup: VALIDCODEC
    AltStartup: FavoritesFolder
    AltStartup: System16Folder
    AltStartup: SecureCustomProperties
    AltStartup: WiseInitSuffix
    AltStartup: PrimaryVolumeSpaceRemaining
    AltStartup: PrimaryVolumeSpaceRequired
    AltStartup: PrimaryVolumeSpaceAvailable
    AltStartup: OutOfNoRbDiskSpace
    AltStartup: OutOfDiskSpace
    AltStartup: DiskPrompt
    AltStartup: ApplicationUsers
    AltStartup: MyPicturesFolder
    AltStartup: DesktopFolder
    AltStartup: INSTALLDIR1
    AltStartup: SendToFolder
    AltStartup: NetHoodFolder
    AltStartup: RecentFolder
    AltStartup: CommonAppDataFolder
    AltStartup: PersonalFolder
    AltStartup: SystemFolder
    AltStartup: TiVo_Desktop
    AltStartup: TemplateFolder
    AltStartup: AppDataFolder
    AltStartup: WindowsFolder
    AltStartup: StartupFolder
    AltStartup: ProgramMenuFolder
    AltStartup: UpgradeCode
    AltStartup: CHOSENVIDEOSDIR
    AltStartup: _WiseDebugMode
    AltStartup: WiseInitExistError
    AltStartup: WiseInitSpaceError
    AltStartup: _WiseDialogTitleFontDefault
    AltStartup: WiseCRLF
    AltStartup: _WiseDialogFontDefault
    AltStartup: PRIMARYFOLDER
    AltStartup: INSTALLDIR
    AltStartup: COMPANYNAME
    AltStartup: CALYPSOPHOTOSDIR
    AltStartup: VIDEOSDIR
    AltStartup: WiseInitAdminError
    AltStartup: PASSWORDSTATUS
    AltStartup: ProductLanguage
    AltStartup: WiseInitPrefix
    AltStartup: CostingComplete
    AltStartup: WinSxS
    AltStartup: AdminToolsFolder
    AltStartup: MaintenanceMode
    AltStartup: LocalAppDataFolder
    AltStartup: VersionNT
    AltStartup: ARPNOMODIFY
    AltStartup: PIDTemplate
    AltStartup: _WiseDialogSuffix
    AltStartup: INSTALLLEVEL
    AltStartup: Preselected
    AltStartup: UILevel
    AltStartup: OriginalDatabase
    AltStartup: DATABASE
    AltStartup: Privileged
    AltStartup: Date
    AltStartup: Time
    AltStartup: RedirectedDllSupport
    AltStartup: MsiWin32AssemblySupport
    AltStartup: TTCSupport
    AltStartup: ColorBits
    AltStartup: TextHeight
    AltStartup: BorderSide
    AltStartup: BorderTop
    AltStartup: CaptionHeight
    AltStartup: ScreenY
    AltStartup: ScreenX
    AltStartup: SystemLanguageID
    AltStartup: ComputerName
    AltStartup: UserLanguageID
    AltStartup: UserSID
    AltStartup: LogonUser
    AltStartup: AdminUser
    AltStartup: VirtualMemory
    AltStartup: PhysicalMemory
    AltStartup: Intel
    AltStartup: ShellAdvtSupport
    AltStartup: OLEAdvtSupport
    AltStartup: GPTSupport
    AltStartup: APPS_TEST
    AltStartup: DESKTOPSHORTCUT
    AltStartup: ProgramFilesFolder
    AltStartup: RemoteAdminTS
    AltStartup: ReinstallFileVersion
    AltStartup: MAK_STATUS
    AltStartup: HMOANSWER
    AltStartup: ARPURLINFOABOUT
    AltStartup: Beacon
    AltStartup: WindowsVolume
    AltStartup: MsiNTProductType
    AltStartup: ServicePackLevelMinor
    AltStartup: WiseInitLangDefault
    AltStartup: INTERVIDEOCODEC
    AltStartup: _WiseStatusMifSMSVer
    AltStartup: ServicePackLevel
    AltStartup: STARTTIVODESKTOP
    AltStartup: WindowsBuild
    AltStartup: VersionMsi
    AltStartup: WWWROOT
    AltStartup: ADDLOCAL
    AltStartup: WISE_SETUP_EXE_PATH
    AltStartup: CURRENTDIRECTORY
    AltStartup: CLIENTUILEVEL
    AltStartup: CLIENTPROCESSID
    AltStartup: ACTION
    AltStartup: ProfilesFolder
    AltStartup: EXECUTEACTION
    AltStartup: DirectShow
    AltStartup: ROOTDRIVE
    AltStartup: VersionDatabase
    AltStartup: ALLUSERS
    AltStartup: SECONDSEQUENCE
    AltStartup: PackagecodeChanging
    AltStartup: ProductState
    AltStartup: CALYPSOMUSICDIR
    AltStartup: TRANSFERSERVICEPRESENT
    AltStartup: PackageCode
    AltStartup: SYSTEMMUSICDIR
    AltStartup: Transfer
    AltStartup: SONICCODEC
    AltStartup: images
    AltStartup: css
    AltStartup: CYBERLINKCODEC
    AltStartup: _WiseStatusMifPDFVer
    AltStartup: PrimaryVolumePath
    Action 20:32:52: WiseAltStartup. Extracting directories...
    WiseAltStartup: Help
    WiseAltStartup: TARGETDIR
    WiseAltStartup: PrintHoodFolder
    WiseAltStartup: FontsFolder
    WiseAltStartup: CommonFilesFolder
    WiseAltStartup: TiVo_Shared
    WiseAltStartup: TempFolder
    WiseAltStartup: StartMenuFolder
    WiseAltStartup: GAC
    WiseAltStartup: FavoritesFolder
    WiseAltStartup: System16Folder
    WiseAltStartup: MyPicturesFolder
    WiseAltStartup: DesktopFolder
    WiseAltStartup: INSTALLDIR1
    WiseAltStartup: SendToFolder
    WiseAltStartup: NetHoodFolder
    WiseAltStartup: RecentFolder
    WiseAltStartup: CommonAppDataFolder
    WiseAltStartup: PersonalFolder
    WiseAltStartup: SystemFolder
    WiseAltStartup: TiVo_Desktop
    WiseAltStartup: TemplateFolder
    WiseAltStartup: AppDataFolder
    WiseAltStartup: WindowsFolder
    WiseAltStartup: StartupFolder
    WiseAltStartup: ProgramMenuFolder
    WiseAltStartup: INSTALLDIR
    WiseAltStartup: VIDEOSDIR
    WiseAltStartup: WinSxS
    WiseAltStartup: AdminToolsFolder
    WiseAltStartup: LocalAppDataFolder
    WiseAltStartup: ProgramFilesFolder
    WiseAltStartup: Beacon
    WiseAltStartup: WWWROOT
    WiseAltStartup: ProfilesFolder
    WiseAltStartup: DirectShow
    WiseAltStartup: Transfer
    WiseAltStartup: images
    WiseAltStartup: css
    Action ended 20:32:52: WiseAltStartup. Return value 1.
    MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:580]: Doing action: InstallInitialize
    Action start 20:32:52: InstallInitialize.
    MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:580]: Machine policy value 'AlwaysInstallElevated'
    is 0
    MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:580]: User policy value 'AlwaysInstallElevated' is
    0
    MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:580]: BeginTransaction: Locking Server
    MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:580]: Machine policy value
    'LimitSystemRestoreCheckpointing' is 0
    MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:580]: Note: 1: 1715 2: TiVo Desktop
    MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:580]: Calling SRSetRestorePoint API.
    dwRestorePtType: 0, dwEventType: 102, llSequenceNumber: 0, szDescription:
    "Installed TiVo Desktop".
    MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:590]: The call to SRSetRestorePoint API succeeded.
    Returned status: 0, llSequenceNumber: 3.
    MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:590]: Server not locked: locking for product
    {4E839090-3B68-436A-B3CF-A2A08C38DD26}
    MSI (s) (7C:30) [20:32:52:630]: Note: 1: 2203 2:
    C:\WINDOWS\Installer\6575d2b.ipi 3: -2147287035
    DEBUG: Error 2203: Database: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\6575d2b.ipi. Cannot open
    database file. System error -2147287035
    DEBUG: Error 2835: The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog
    ErrorDialog
    Internal Error 2835. ErrorIcon, ErrorDialog

    </snip>

    Hi,

    Thanks for your update.

    Based on the current situation, I want to know if you can access the
    C:\Windows\Installer\33c77.ipi files. If you can, please delete it to
    Recycle bin and reinstall the TiVo Desktop 2.0.2 to check the issue again.

    You have mentioned KB884016, I think you have tried to reinstall v3 again
    but I don't think it is helpful. If the issue still persists after
    checking these steps, please perform the following steps to repair the XP
    system.

    1. Place the Windows XP CD in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.

    2. If the Windows CD displays the What would you like to do? menu, click
    Exit.

    3. Turn off your computer, wait ten seconds, and then turn your computer
    back on.

    4. If you are prompted to start your computer from the CD, do so.

    5. After Windows XP Setup starts, press ENTER to continue the setup process.

    6. Press ENTER to choose the option "To set up Windows XP now, press
    ENTER". Do not choose the Recovery Console option.

    7. Press F8 to accept the licensing agreement.

    8. At this point, the Setup program will search for previous installations
    of Windows XP.

    - If Setup does not find a previous installation of Windows XP, then
    you might have a hardware failure.

    - If Setup does find a previous installation of Windows XP, then the
    following message will appear:

    If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, setup can
    try to repair it. Use the up and down arrows to select an installation. To
    repair the selected installation Press R. To continue without repairing,
    Press Esc.

    9. Choose the appropriate installation of Windows XP, and then press R to
    attempt to repair it.

    10. Follow the remaining directions on your screen.

    Note: Some updates or drivers may need to be reinstalled after System
    Repair.

    For more detail about repair installation, please refer to link below:

    KB315341: How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

    Hope that helps. If you have any new findings or some other questions
    regarding this issue, please feel free to let me know.

    Thanks & Regards

    Amanda Wang[MSFT]

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
    support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
    situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
    Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

    This and other support options are available here:
    BCPS:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
    Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

    Support page: