internet connection keeps droping

Mel

my internet connection keeps droping and coming back
after a few minutes. Also the status sometimes will show
I am disconnected when I in fact am connected and can
surf the net. What can I do to fix it?

You might check if you have 802.11x authentication enabled but are not using
WPA encryption. If you do, that will bounce you out, find the connection,
bounce you out, etc., every few minutes.
In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"mel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my internet connection keeps droping and coming back
> after a few minutes. Also the status sometimes will show
> I am disconnected when I in fact am connected and can
> surf the net. What can I do to fix it?

KJ

I'm having the same problem. Can you explain how to check
the properties you mention below and ohw to correct the
problem?
Thanks!

DUH! I first assumed you were on wireless. If that's correct, if you open
Network Connections so you see the icon representing your LAN, select
Properties with a right-click, and then go to the Wireless Networks tab,
highlight the name of your LAN in the little pane under the Preferred
networks listing, then select the Properties button.

You'll then see three tabs. Select the Authentication tab, and near the top
you'll see a line "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network."
Remove the check mark from the box, if there is one. OK your way out, and
then restart your system to make sure it takes effect.

"kj" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having the same problem. Can you explain how to check
> the properties you mention below and ohw to correct the
> problem?
> Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS