Error message on startup

March 25, 2005 4:29:02 AM

Hi
Wonder if anyone can help me with the error message I keep getting when I
startup XP.

C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsft Windows applications. Choose !Close! to terminate this
application

Hav no idea what this means but also getting it when i insert a CD and try
to run it

Any help would be very appriciated
Thanks

More about : error message startup

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 8:40:56 AM

Seems to be an epidemic lately....

This can be caused by a trojan.

Get rid of the trojan.

Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32.
And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

Read-only
[[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
changed or accidentally deleted.]]

1. Right click the file.
2. Properties.
3. Select: ? Read-only.
4. Click: Apply.
5. Click: OK.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:7903BEB6-C2DA-41A7-B1D5-134C785D927D@microsoft.com,
bubblehead <bubblehead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi
> Wonder if anyone can help me with the error message I keep getting
> when I startup XP.
>
> C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS and Microsft Windows applications. Choose !Close! to
> terminate this application
>
> Hav no idea what this means but also getting it when i insert a CD
> and try to run it
>
> Any help would be very appriciated
> Thanks
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 1:02:03 PM

WOW!!!

Worked straight away many thanks

bubblehead

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Seems to be an epidemic lately....
>
> This can be caused by a trojan.
>
> Get rid of the trojan.
>
> Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.
>
> Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32.
> And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.
>
> Read-only
> [[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
> changed or accidentally deleted.]]
>
> 1. Right click the file.
> 2. Properties.
> 3. Select: Â? Read-only.
> 4. Click: Apply.
> 5. Click: OK.
>
> 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm
>
> MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
>
> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
> program
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:7903BEB6-C2DA-41A7-B1D5-134C785D927D@microsoft.com,
> bubblehead <bubblehead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi
> > Wonder if anyone can help me with the error message I keep getting
> > when I startup XP.
> >
> > C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
> > running MS-DOS and Microsft Windows applications. Choose !Close! to
> > terminate this application
> >
> > Hav no idea what this means but also getting it when i insert a CD
> > and try to run it
> >
> > Any help would be very appriciated
> > Thanks

Anonymous