Error message on startup

Hi
Wonder if anyone can help me with the error message I keep getting when I
startup XP.

C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsft Windows applications. Choose !Close! to terminate this
application

Hav no idea what this means but also getting it when i insert a CD and try
to run it

Any help would be very appriciated
Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about error message startup

    Seems to be an epidemic lately....

    This can be caused by a trojan.

    Get rid of the trojan.

    Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

    Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32.
    And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

    Read-only
    [[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
    changed or accidentally deleted.]]

    1. Right click the file.
    2. Properties.
    3. Select: ? Read-only.
    4. Click: Apply.
    5. Click: OK.

    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

    MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:7903BEB6-C2DA-41A7-B1D5-134C785D927D@microsoft.com,
    bubblehead <bubblehead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi
    > Wonder if anyone can help me with the error message I keep getting
    > when I startup XP.
    >
    > C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
    > running MS-DOS and Microsft Windows applications. Choose !Close! to
    > terminate this application
    >
    > Hav no idea what this means but also getting it when i insert a CD
    > and try to run it
    >
    > Any help would be very appriciated
    > Thanks

    WOW!!!

    Worked straight away many thanks

    bubblehead

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Seems to be an epidemic lately....
    >
    > This can be caused by a trojan.
    >
    > Get rid of the trojan.
    >
    > Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.
    >
    > Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32.
    > And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.
    >
    > Read-only
    > [[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
    > changed or accidentally deleted.]]
    >
    > 1. Right click the file.
    > 2. Properties.
    > 3. Select: Â? Read-only.
    > 4. Click: Apply.
    > 5. Click: OK.
    >
    > 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm
    >
    > MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
    >
    > Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    > program
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:7903BEB6-C2DA-41A7-B1D5-134C785D927D@microsoft.com,
    > bubblehead <bubblehead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Hi
    > > Wonder if anyone can help me with the error message I keep getting
    > > when I startup XP.
    > >
    > > C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
    > > running MS-DOS and Microsft Windows applications. Choose !Close! to
    > > terminate this application
    > >
    > > Hav no idea what this means but also getting it when i insert a CD
    > > and try to run it
    > >
    > > Any help would be very appriciated
    > > Thanks

    Glad to hear it. Keep having fun! :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:B3419285-1F7E-4001-8440-C19A406143C6@microsoft.com,
    bubblehead <bubblehead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > WOW!!!
    >
    > Worked straight away many thanks
    >
    > bubblehead
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Seems to be an epidemic lately....
    >>
    >> This can be caused by a trojan.
    >>
    >> Get rid of the trojan.
    >>
    >> Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.
    >>
    >> Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to
    >> C:\Windows\System32. And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.
    >>
    >> Read-only
    >> [[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it
    >> cannot be changed or accidentally deleted.]]
    >>
    >> 1. Right click the file.
    >> 2. Properties.
    >> 3. Select: Â? Read-only.
    >> 4. Click: Apply.
    >> 5. Click: OK.
    >>
    >> 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS
    >> application http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm
    >>
    >> MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit
    >>
    >> Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
    >> Windows-based program
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:7903BEB6-C2DA-41A7-B1D5-134C785D927D@microsoft.com,
    >> bubblehead <bubblehead@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hi
    >>> Wonder if anyone can help me with the error message I keep getting
    >>> when I startup XP.
    >>>
    >>> C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
    >>> running MS-DOS and Microsft Windows applications. Choose !Close! to
    >>> terminate this application
    >>>
    >>> Hav no idea what this means but also getting it when i insert a CD
    >>> and try to run it
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be very appriciated
    >>> Thanks

Error Message Windows XP