a7n8x deluxe n2

mbaby

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
hey just wondering if it would be better for me to get a nvidia fx card or an ati card. Not sure if having the nvidia 2 chipset on my mobo would work better with the nvidia cards? thinking of either a ati 9800np or a gfx 5600 or something like that. thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
9800np is a far better card than the 5600.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I am using a Radeon 9500 Pro on the same mobo you have for the past 8 months. No problems whatsoever. Go for the 9800np .. it's cleary a better choice and there is not even the slightest possibility to be incompatible with your nvidia mobo.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I have the same exact mobo. I am temporarily using a 9500 Pro and I haven't had any real problems. I think that the Catalyst drivers are still a little inferior to Detonators, but I haven't had any stability issues (I still have a slight grudge against ATi). The nForce2 chipset doesn't have any vendor-specific bias- ATi and nVidia will both perform fine. If you really want to buy a graphics card right now then the 9800NP is one of the best values out there, but new ones are becoming difficult to find. I am still not convinced that there is any reason to buy such a powerful graphics card at this time- with Half-Life 2 being delayed possibly for months (nobody really knows yet) and Doom 3 in April at the earliest, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of ground-breaking titles. Deus EX 2 looks pretty badass. I dunno. I'm rambling at this point. Good luck with your search.

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
9800NP, definitely. It will blow-away the 5600.

I bought one a few weeks ago at Circuit City when it was on sale, and it is great! It really is awesome in Halo. Hopefully it will also kick ass on upcoming DX9 games. It should.

I think the NP is one of the best buys out there right now, but they're going to be in short supply soon with ATI pushing the XTs.

Just make sure your PSU is up to the task, it uses a lot of juice.

"I'm a man armed with a fork in a land of soup."

mbaby

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
cool, thanks for the info. sure seems the ati card takes it hands down and that only confirms my thoughts. i'm running a thermaltake 360 psu which should be fine for either of those cards i believe. now it's a matter of budgeting for the new card :p thanks again