Altec Lansing subwoofer died

Hi Folks

I have a Dimension 8250 which came with the Altec Lansing ADA995 subwoofer
and 5 speakers. Today, the subwoofer died with a big pop. Having a peek
inside, I see that there is a capacitor across the incoming power supply.
That has exploded :(

I'm trying to find out what I should use as a replacement. Does anyone have
any circuit diagrams or have any idea what I should use?
On the disc capacitor I can see that it says MDC Z271 75UL ... but I can't
work out what they mean

Thanks in advance!

Try posting your question in one or more of these groups:

rec.audio.misc

rec.audio.tech

alt.ham-radio.mods

These groups have some fine technical people in them who are always helpful
!! I would think that finding an answer to your question would be
pretty easy.

--James--

In article <355c0nF4elagcU1@individual.net>, NOgari.pSPAM@breathe.com
(Gari P) says...
> I have a Dimension 8250 which came with the Altec Lansing ADA995 subwoofer
> and 5 speakers. Today, the subwoofer died with a big pop. Having a peek
> inside, I see that there is a capacitor across the incoming power supply.
> That has exploded :(
>
> I'm trying to find out what I should use as a replacement. Does anyone have
> any circuit diagrams or have any idea what I should use?
> On the disc capacitor I can see that it says MDC Z271 75UL ... but I can't
> work out what they mean

Try asking Altec-Lansing.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Larry Caldwell wrote:

> In article <355c0nF4elagcU1@individual.net>, NOgari.pSPAM@breathe.com
> (Gari P) says...
>
>>I have a Dimension 8250 which came with the Altec Lansing ADA995 subwoofer
>>and 5 speakers. Today, the subwoofer died with a big pop. Having a peek
>>inside, I see that there is a capacitor across the incoming power supply.
>>That has exploded :(
>>
>>I'm trying to find out what I should use as a replacement. Does anyone have
>>any circuit diagrams or have any idea what I should use?
>>On the disc capacitor I can see that it says MDC Z271 75UL ... but I can't
>>work out what they mean
>

> Try asking Altec-Lansing.

Pah! Where's the fun in that?

:)

"Larry Caldwell" <larryc@teleport.com> wrote in message
> In article <355c0nF4elagcU1@individual.net>, NOgari.pSPAM@breathe.com
> (Gari P) says...
>> I have a Dimension 8250 which came with the Altec Lansing ADA995
>> subwoofer
>> and 5 speakers. Today, the subwoofer died with a big pop. Having a peek
>> inside, I see that there is a capacitor across the incoming power supply.
>> That has exploded :(
>>
>> I'm trying to find out what I should use as a replacement. Does anyone
>> have
>> any circuit diagrams or have any idea what I should use?
>> On the disc capacitor I can see that it says MDC Z271 75UL ... but I
>> can't
>> work out what they mean
>
> Try asking Altec-Lansing.

I doubt very much they would tell me .. or even know themselves. That sort
of detailed information isn't available to helpdesk / support staff. They
would just tell me to send it in for service... and I'd be financially
raped.

"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message
> Try posting your question in one or more of these groups:
>

> rec.audio.misc
>
> rec.audio.tech
>
> alt.ham-radio.mods
>

> These groups have some fine technical people in them who are always
> helpful
> !! I would think that finding an answer to your question would be
> pretty easy.

Thanks very much for your help James.

"Gari P" <NOgari.pSPAM@breathe.com> wrote in message
> "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message
>> Try posting your question in one or more of these groups:
>>

>> rec.audio.misc
>>
>> rec.audio.tech
>>
>> alt.ham-radio.mods
>>

>> These groups have some fine technical people in them who are always
>> helpful
>> !! I would think that finding an answer to your question would
>> be
>> pretty easy.
>
> Thanks very much for your help James.

Gari -

You could try nosing around some of your local audio or electronics shops
that do repair. Guessing that wouldn't be cheap, but is an option.

Secondly, Altec likely won't be much help as they don't support the
Dell-branded versions of their speakers. There may be retail versions of A/L
speakers that are a close match, but there are usually some significant
differences.

Lastly, you might not be interested but there are some available on ebay.
Might be an option after considering costs of the other options:

http://tinyurl.com/5xelh

Good luck.

Stew

the reason it blown was due to the fact they have no manual volume control on them so they are constantly pushing out 200 wats peak power and this is a BIG fire hazard that's the reason why it popped! This happend to me so i took the amplifier out and replaced it with another one with a varible volume control then it was fine..

I have a potentially damaged altec lansig 995 sub, does anyone think it easy modifyable to use it as a hifi sub on its own?

MDC Z271 75UL is not capacitor. It is the Varistor (with maximum operating AC voltage- 270 V).
It carries out a role of protection against an overvoltage. (It is the "Surge Arrestor").