gainward gf4 mx440se or gainward gf3 ti200

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
I am building a comp and the site I buy from is just out of gainward gf4 mx440 64mb for 60 dollars. My next choice is gainward gf4 ms440se 64mb for 57.89 or gainward gf3 ti200 64mb for 79.00. It's for a friends son. Out of the last two cards are there any known crashing or burnout problems...as well as graphic quality difference. Please help. Also, does anyone have any other suggestions for a decent, quiet, reliable card with good performance in the above price range.
thnx frew

<font color=red> "A PC in every room...conserves heating oil". </font color=red> :wink:

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
The Ti200 is the better choice. It has pixel and vertex shaders, and any games you play will look better. Stability is good with all nVidia cards, but that's just <b>my</b> opinion.

<b>I help because you suck</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All SE cards are horrible. The MX440SE is pretty much identicle to the MX420, which is also pretty much identicle to a GeForce2 MX. Not only is it a DirectX 7 card, it's a very SLOW DirectX 7 card. Go with the DX8 card, the Ti200, you'll be much happier.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

Captain Obvious also obviously recommends the Ti4200!

MX's are just too slow!

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
The cap'n's gotta point. Even though the Ti200 can dish out pretty decent performance these days, at the price of $80 a Ti4200 would definitely be the best option.

"640k ought to be enough for everyone." - <b><font color=red>BILL GATE$</b></font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Another vote for Ti200

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ouch.
Not exactly good choices.
The ti4 MX is just a zested up Ti2.
Definately avoid that like the plague.

the ti3-200 is ok... better than the MX, but not exactly fast by any modern standards.
2 generations behind at least.

are u positive you cant find a Ti4200 64mb card ANYWHERE online where you are?
it really the best choice you have... will far exceed the MX or the Ti200.

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
UFO...do you know where they are selling ti4200 64mb for 80.00 at this time? Does anyone? Thanx Frew

<font color=red> "A PC in every room...conserves heating oil". </font color=red> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by frewOFstew on 11/01/03 08:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Yup, I sure do

You can find one right <A HREF="http://www.gameve.com/store/gameve_viewitem.asp?idproduct=474" target="_new">HERE</A> for $80. It's a Gainward too, which means that it will probably be able to overclock really nicely.

"640k ought to be enough for everyone." - <b><font color=red>BILL GATE$</b></font color=red>

frewOFstew

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2001
have you done business with them....are they reliable ...is delivery fast...I only ask because I have a deadline on comp I'm building...thanx for patience. Frew

<font color=red> "A PC in every room...conserves heating oil". </font color=red> :wink:

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
I've done business with them and they are VERY reliable. If you need it really really soon, you can always select a different shipping meth, (but for added cost). They also have an "ASAP" option which doesn't cost very much to gain priority shipping.

Ozzit

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
Ti 200 is the best choise of those cards...
But it is not a good card, u can´t play new games with it.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
Ti 200 is the best choise of those cards...
But it is not a good card, u can´t play new games with it.

I object, you most certain <i>CAN</i> play new games with it, and at a decent graphics setting too. In fact games like HL2 and DOOM ]|[ should run great on this card (albeit a reduced but decently appealing setting of course).

Michaelius

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2003
I played Max Payne 2 on my g3ti200 at the 1280x1024 resolution plus medium details on everything and mirrors turned off and received stable performance of 40 fps (i had the fraps running while playing). Which is rather impresive for such an old card (and only slightly overclocked to 205/450). Battlefield, warcraft 3, c&c:generals all run great on it at 1024x768.

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
A Ti4200 was not in the list of cards available to him. Sometimes it doesnt hurt to adhere to the question presented to us.
I see what you mean, sometimes that's the case. In fact, in very urgent emergency situations, doing such is indeed definitely the absolute best plan of action. But usually, most posters have narrowed down the choices through their own analysis rather than by what's available to them. The only time I think its a good idea to rigidly adhere to a presented list is when someone needs a Graphics Card Solution practically immediately and their are very few options available locally. However, Graphics Cards sold through online merchants are available to practically everyone in a particular nation or region no matter where they live. The only disadvantage is a slight "delay" in receiving the product. Many posters are willing to shop online for a graphics card and wait a couple days to a week or so for their Graphics Card arrives. Such seems to be the case in this particular instance.

And CS, I don't see whatcha mean. :wink: