Two operating systems

I have a second xp pro OS installed on my D drive and would like to remove
it. The OS that I use is on my C drive. How do I remove the second OS? Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about operating systems

    TJ,

    Is this another physical drive, or another partition on one drive?

    In either case, you should be able to just reformat the drive and that'll
    get rid of it.

    Newtechie

    TJ wrote:
    > I have a second xp pro OS installed on my D drive and would like to remove
    > it. The OS that I use is on my C drive. How do I remove the second OS? Thanks

    I just went through all of this, and finally accomplished it. Search
    for the thread in this Newsgroup which starts with "Dual Boot" and you
    will get a full discussion.

    In my case, I was able to positively identify the OS folders and files
    on the D: \ drive -- see the other thread. I first used Norton Ghost to
    backup both the C:\ and the D: \ drives. Then I deleted the identified
    folders and files.

    The next step is to modify the boot.ini file on the C:\ drive to remove
    the dual boot option. It seems that if you do not do this, you will get
    a lot of weird results on startup -- see the other thread. The given
    advice to use msconfig to modify this file did not work for me, and I
    eventually found my own solution. However, this link may give a better
    way to go about it:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022#Task6

    Note that this procedure takes you to a DOS screen -- Start
    Menu>Run>cmd. Typing bootcfg /? in the DOS screen gives you first
    level instructions. Typing bootcfg /delete /? gives you delete
    instructions. Typing bootcfg /delete /ID2 would delete the reference to
    the path to the second operating instruction, which is probably the one
    you want to get rid of. It might be good to do this before manually
    removing the second OS from the D:\ drive, that way the computer will
    not be looking for an OS on the second drive on restart. BUT, backup
    the boot.ini file before you modify it. Also, this delete procedure
    will not let you delete the path to the active operating system.

    --
    Cheers! OliverS
    When replying personally, remove "_nospam_"

    "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of
    the human race." HG Wells

Systems Support Microsoft Windows XP