Asus N55SF - 2 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yana3ear

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Hi all,

My better half has a couple of issues with her Asus N55SF-S2213v but I'm a bit lost with a solution.. hopefully you can help out.

1. Screen (possible connection problem)

Problem first appeared on Sunday (8th April) upon start up and consisted of the screen being covered in flickering green pixels across certain colour ranges. If I moved the screen backwards and forwards, the problem would disappear temporarily, however it would reappear anywhere after a few seconds or a few minutes. Again, if I moved the screen once they reappeared, they would disappear again... repeating cycle. It has progressively got worse since then, sometimes it always there, sometimes it won't appear for 30 minutes or so before coming back.

I would guess that it's a connection problem between screen and motherboard, however being only 3 months old I'm not keen on opening it up to check. She has contact the retailer she bought it from (dabs.com) but they have said you need to contact Asus...? Seems a bit strange considering that the machine is only 3 months old. Thoughts?

2. Blu-ray drive won't play blu-ray films

This has been a problem since the day she got it. It'll play normal DVD's and read other CD's and games without a problem, however it refuse to accept any BD's at all. I have tried a couple of software packages (PowerDVD, K-lite etc) and the problem remains. Also tried to find newer drivers for the device but I can't find them anywhere.

Any ideas on what could be causing these issues?

Hello Yana3ear;

(2) Sounds unusual. Is there anything about the BluRay discs that might run afoul of Digital Rights Management (DRM) anti-piracy protection?
Background: DRM Measures in Blu-Rays

There is a remote chance that Asus didnt install a Blu-Ray player like they should have. You should be able to check the optical drive's make/model # printed on the drive to confirm it's not a standard DVD burner.

You should be able to run Device Manager and get that optical drives make and model number without having to open it up.
Use the search option at the bottom of the Start Menu and type in: device
Choose Device Manager from the options.

Look under the DVD/CD-Rom drives and I think you should see the Blu-Ray drives make and model #.

Hi :)

I own a lappy repair company...

1, You need a new screen...its NEVER the cable lol :) return it UNDER WARRANTY...you bought it from Dabs NOT Asus....return it to DABS....in the UK , thats the law...

2, Blue ray software... thats the problem.... you say you installed Power DVD ? WHICH version ?? as ONLY the latest will play BR`s....

All the best Brett :)

Yana3ear

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Thanks for the replies all.

1. Guess we'll be contacting Asus then regarding the screen.

2. v11 of PowerDVD, which to my knowledge supports Blu-ray? I see they have released v12 so we'll give that a go and see if that get's it going. The make and model of the drive is a HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT30P so it's definitely a BD drive.

Sergey Kim

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
Hi
I own asus n55sf for a two years and my waranty run out. Few days ago I started to have the same problems with a screen. Is it so doomed or I have a chance to fix it?

By the way I have another problem with the laptop, it is suddenly turns off on wireless mode without any warnings or sleep modes.

leftisthominid

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
My issue is unrelated, but I thought it would be a good idea to consult other N55SF owners

I have always noticed that when the laptop is completely off, it draws a marginal amount of power from the battery (it generally went from 100% to 97% overnight). Normally, I almost never run my laptop without the AC plugged in, and when my laptop is off either the battery is ejected or it is in the charger (when it is in the charger and off it never draws from the battery). Over winter break, however, I did it more times (about four times often letting it get down into the lower 80%s) than I did in all of the rest of 2014. Lately, it seems it is drawing more power when off, so it has become a bigger nuisance. I was wondering if any of you have the same issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.