Resume after Hibernate or Standby fails. Power on after Sh..

Second-hand Laptop works fine after cleaning out old files except that after a hibernate or standby it will not resume
correctly.
An error (blue screen flashes up for about two seconds.) Impossible to read and then you get the DOS screen option to
retry or effectively abandon the saved files and reboot.. After the reboot there is about a twenty second wait before
getting an error message " The system has recovered from a serious error". After that continues to run correctly.
Shutdown and a subsequent Power up work correctly.
I've run SFC to correct system files but still have this problem..
Two or three year old Compaq Presario 700 with XP with SP2 and all latest updates.
Michael

I have had this problem for more than a year and have tried all the pèossible fixes found on the web, including microsoft patches, magic swear words and god knows what. Eventually, I stumble on the sollution by chance. This may not work all the time, but in my case (Windows XP, SP3) it did the trick:

1-right click on my computer
2-go to the hardware tab
3-click on device manager
4-Go into Universal Serial Bus Controler (by the bottom)
5-expand it into a list
this list should be littered (that was my case) with USB-something, often some left overs of badly installed USB devices.

6-remove them all, one by one, don't worry, they will re-install automatically when the dvice is reconnected (no need for the installation CD)

Normally your computer should then resume from hibernation.

Hope this tip saves as much time as I have lost,

Cedric

seangriffin

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
To anyone else still tearing out their hair trying to solve this (as was I), here is the solution. The problem is most likely rootkit malware attack.

To check and remove rootkits, download and run Kaspersky's TDSSKiller:

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.zip

I ran this. It found one infection, quaranteened the file, rebooted my computer, and hibernation now works.

After countless attempts to fix hibernation, this was the only solution that worked for me.

TRENDING THREADS