Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading from 9600pro to 9800pro?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 2, 2003 7:26:53 PM

Should I reinstall the catalyst drivers? I'm running v3.8.
November 2, 2003 8:16:32 PM

You must have money too spear. Send some my way.
November 2, 2003 8:50:41 PM

Quote:
Upgrading from 9600pro to 9800pro

[UFO rant]I don't see the logic behind such an upgrade honestly. I'm not trying to be rude, but a 9600 Pro card is better than what alot of people actually have and what alot of people in the "lower midrange" segment are opting for as a New upgrade. Heck, if need be, that card could quite possibly have lasted until Direct X 11 cards are fresh on the market, honestly. All you got was a mediocre bump in perfomance and essentially the same featureset of yur last card. When I upgrade I generally prefer my new card to pound the arse off my previous one, but that's just me. [/UFO rant]

"640k ought to be enough for everyone." - <b><font color=red>BILL GATE$</b></font color=red>
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2003 9:30:17 PM

Seriously guys relax. While I love my R9600P, who wouldn't want a few more frames in HALO (add about 5-6fps to bring the min out of the teens), or perhaps a little more AA/AF. For whatever the reason, it's not a BAD move (like moving from a GF4ti to an FX5200 or FX5600non-U), it just seems unnecessary/extravagant. So be it, I'd definitely wait and spend my money on the next gen card out in a few months time, but then again some people just want it now, and it's their money and thankfully not ours. :wink:

To <b>Karadell</b>; Wanna buy a watch !?!

But seriosuly, try running it straight out of the box if you think a re-install is too much work. But I would simply clean-up and start over. It's fairly easy to uninstall/reinstall. Make sure everything is clean first, and it may be a good time to update your mobo AGP drivers.
Write out a basic plan so you don't miss a step.

You could always try just slapping it in, which will more than likely work, but why cause yourself grief if it doesn't? The ast thing you want to do is have some overclocking tool or something 'stuck' somehwere which ramps your R9800P to 400+mhz on the core without your knowledge.
When in doubt always take the safest route. Just be sure to be very deliberate in your preparation/actions.

Anywho that's what I'd do.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
November 2, 2003 10:21:18 PM

Quote:
For whatever the reason, it's not a BAD move (like moving from a GF4ti to an FX5200 or FX5600non-U), it just seems unnecessary/extravagant.

That's definitely true, I was basically trying to emphasize the "unnecessary/extravagant" clause of your arguement. No doubt there will be some noticeable performance increase, but it just seems li ke the upgrade was very poorly planned with R420 & NV40 around the corner which will offer WAY better perfromance & hopefully a greatly enhanced featureset( I don't consider the differnence between 9700/9800 as a significant difference in featuresets).

"640k ought to be enough for everyone." - <b><font color=red>BILL GATE$</b></font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by UFO_WARVIPER on 11/02/03 07:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 3, 2003 2:02:10 AM

<jedi powers> you will give me $1000 dollars </jedi power>

hey GRAPE, Can i trade ur ugly green no bling bling Radeon 9600pro for mine pretty, red, bling bling, 9700pro style HSF Gigacube Radeon 9600pro. And for ur sake i'll white out the 3.3ns and write 2.86ns on it :D  COME ON U KNOW U WANT IT

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
bring it fanATics~~ nVidia PWNS all!
SCREW aBOX! LONG LIVE nBOX!!
November 3, 2003 2:49:12 AM

Ok guys, Im not crazy. I borrowed the 9600pro from work as a place holder. I just put a new machine together and my 9800pro didnt get here yet, so I needed something to put in there for the time being.

I figured I would need to to a fresh install, just wanted to make sure.

And no I'm not interested in any watches... or any cheap bridges you might be selling.
November 3, 2003 7:12:02 AM

It wouldn't be such a bad upgrade anyway as the 9600 range are way overpriced for the average performance they offer anyways. If you could get a good price for that 9600 thingy and find a bargain in a 9800 it would probably only cost a little to upgrade anyway, and just imagine no more slow ass jaggy edged freezing up framed crap slow 9600pro.

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!
November 3, 2003 12:27:11 PM

That's cool. We really shouldn't have jumped on your case like that. :evil:  I'm very glad to see that your not crazy. :eek: 

Since all the Radeon cards use a unified driver set called Catalyst, it may not be necessary to reinstall the drivers. However, to ensure that everything works out smoothly, the reinstallation will be sort of a "just-in-case" precaution. It wouldn't hurt to reinstall, and shouldn't really be any trouble at all.

"640k ought to be enough for everyone." - <b><font color=red>BILL GATE$</b></font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by UFO_WARVIPER on 11/03/03 09:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!