Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Desktop Link Icons don't work

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:17:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Certain desktop icons are not working. My Computer, Recycle Bin, My
Documents, and just about every other desktop icon that is a link does
absolutely nothing but produce an hourglass for abotu 10 seconds and then
nothing. I cannot even access My Documents from the Start Menu. Executable
shortcuts are working fine, just not the ones thast open folders.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:38:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
..
"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C542710C-B960-4E93-B251-27FD34A514D5@microsoft.com...
> Certain desktop icons are not working. My Computer, Recycle Bin, My
> Documents, and just about every other desktop icon that is a link does
> absolutely nothing but produce an hourglass for abotu 10 seconds and then
> nothing. I cannot even access My Documents from the Start Menu. Executable
> shortcuts are working fine, just not the ones thast open folders.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:38:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I tried this earlier with no effect. It requested my XP Professional CD and
cycled through all of ym DLL files. The problem still exists. Any other
suggestions.

Thanks.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
> 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> ..
> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C542710C-B960-4E93-B251-27FD34A514D5@microsoft.com...
> > Certain desktop icons are not working. My Computer, Recycle Bin, My
> > Documents, and just about every other desktop icon that is a link does
> > absolutely nothing but produce an hourglass for abotu 10 seconds and then
> > nothing. I cannot even access My Documents from the Start Menu. Executable
> > shortcuts are working fine, just not the ones thast open folders.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 5:34:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
..
"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7652351-7AA1-4C33-A019-0E18E6296FFB@microsoft.com...
>I tried this earlier with no effect. It requested my XP Professional CD and
> cycled through all of ym DLL files. The problem still exists. Any other
> suggestions.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows
>> Server
>> 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> ..
>> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C542710C-B960-4E93-B251-27FD34A514D5@microsoft.com...
>> > Certain desktop icons are not working. My Computer, Recycle Bin, My
>> > Documents, and just about every other desktop icon that is a link does
>> > absolutely nothing but produce an hourglass for abotu 10 seconds and then
>> > nothing. I cannot even access My Documents from the Start Menu. Executable
>> > shortcuts are working fine, just not the ones thast open folders.
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 5:34:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks for the help Mark. I have uninstalled SP2 and things appear to be
working, albeit somewhat slow. I do appreciate your timely assistance.

Kevin

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
> a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
> 875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
> Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> ..
> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7652351-7AA1-4C33-A019-0E18E6296FFB@microsoft.com...
> >I tried this earlier with no effect. It requested my XP Professional CD and
> > cycled through all of ym DLL files. The problem still exists. Any other
> > suggestions.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows
> >> Server
> >> 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> >> ..
> >> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C542710C-B960-4E93-B251-27FD34A514D5@microsoft.com...
> >> > Certain desktop icons are not working. My Computer, Recycle Bin, My
> >> > Documents, and just about every other desktop icon that is a link does
> >> > absolutely nothing but produce an hourglass for abotu 10 seconds and then
> >> > nothing. I cannot even access My Documents from the Start Menu. Executable
> >> > shortcuts are working fine, just not the ones thast open folders.
> >> >
> >> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
September 16, 2012 5:49:22 PM

I just accepted the offer to upgrade flash player. The upgrade went fine but, by default, I'd also carelessly accepted the Google home page and Google Chrome. Since I like to stay with my own, familiar search engine and home page, I subsequently deleted the Google programs via "Add & Remove" programs off control panel.
I then found that all non-program icons on my desk top no longer worked.
Since a "miffed" Google was a prime suspect, I opened Interner Explorer and under the Advanced section of "Internet Options", I reset all options to default.
After restarting IE, the icons all worked fine again....no bugs, no worms, no malware but just a sneaky Google mod.
Hope this works for you guys. :bounce: 
!