password sign in box

Everytime we boot up the computer a gray box asks us for
our password for Microsort networking. We can cancel and
log in fine but it is a bother. How can we get rid of
it? thanks.

Are you sure it is within your LAN, and not your Internet Service Provider
where you're set to logon each time the machine is connected to the
Internet? There should be no "sign-in" on your LAN itself, and I suspect
you're probably on a connection which requires logging in before you get
access. What ISP do you have?
In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

"josey" <josey1137@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Everytime we boot up the computer a gray box asks us for
> our password for Microsort networking. We can cancel and
> log in fine but it is a bother. How can we get rid of
> it? thanks.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Internet log on. The
box appears whenever we boot up the computer and before
the desktop icons appear. We have to hit Internet
Explorer to get on the internet and that works fine
without a password sign in. The top of the gray box
says "Microsoft networking" Any ideas? It first started
appearing after my husband made an attempt to network with
a friend's laptop but he was unsuccessful. I just want to
get rid of the box. Thanks.
nichol.mspx
>In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol
>
>Chris H.
>Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>Associate Expert
>

>"josey" <josey1137@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Everytime we boot up the computer a gray box asks us for
>> our password for Microsort networking. We can cancel
and
>> log in fine but it is a bother. How can we get rid of
>> it? thanks.
>

>.

Something changed, Josey. I think the easy way out is to use a Restore
Point in System Restore to go to the "day before" your husband made whatever
changes he did. If you're not familiar with System Restore, take a look in
Help and Support for the information. You should be able to return your
system to where it worked (and undo your husband's changes). :cool:

"Josey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm sure it has nothing to do with Internet log on. The
> box appears whenever we boot up the computer and before
> the desktop icons appear. We have to hit Internet
> Explorer to get on the internet and that works fine
> without a password sign in. The top of the gray box
> says "Microsoft networking" Any ideas? It first started
> appearing after my husband made an attempt to network with
> a friend's laptop but he was unsuccessful. I just want to
> get rid of the box. Thanks.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It soounds like you are running Windows 98, not sure if
ME does this. After you set up Internet Connection
Sharing Win 98 will ask for a Microsoft Networking logon
password. TweakUI, part of microsoft power toys has a
setting that will auto log you onto the network. TweakUI
installs in the Control Panel.

TRENDING THREADS