New Laptop - Without all the proprietary software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnation

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Hi All,

I build all my own desktop PC's, but now I am looking at a laptop. I build my own pc's for many reasons, but among them is to avoid all the junk software manufacturers put on machines that slow it down and make it hard to work with. Windows 7 has all the features you need, I do not need Dell WIFI software or HP "Smart Assistant", I think you get where I am going.

The question is can you "build" you own laptop or must I buy from a manufacturer, if so who are the least invasive manufacturers or is my only bet to buy a laptop then blow it out and reinstall Windows and the software I want on my own?

I have found that these days the manufacturers give you a restore CD, but you must restore the hard drive to the "factory" settings, you cannot simply install Windows, you have to install everything.

Solution
right when you build a laptop from one of their websides it will come with blootware. the system reserved partition serves a purpose of windows cd (which they dont give you) if you want to restore your operating system

if i were you i would download drivers for the particular model you are buying and save them on a flash drive. use a windows installation disk and format the entire drive getting rid of the system reserved partition for restore and re use the serial from the sticker that will be placed on the bottom of the laptop. install all the drives you have downloaded to a flash drive once you have a clean installation of windows
right when you build a laptop from one of their websides it will come with blootware. the system reserved partition serves a purpose of windows cd (which they dont give you) if you want to restore your operating system

if i were you i would download drivers for the particular model you are buying and save them on a flash drive. use a windows installation disk and format the entire drive getting rid of the system reserved partition for restore and re use the serial from the sticker that will be placed on the bottom of the laptop. install all the drives you have downloaded to a flash drive once you have a clean installation of windows

Solution

zental

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2004
You can use a site like XoticPC.com to build a laptop that doesn't even come with an OS. How's that for no bloatware haha. But you can add an OS in their customize options. I'm about to buy my new laptop through that site.

Another advantage to using a boutique builder like http://www.xoticpc.com/ is the higher degree of customization you can get on many of their notebooks.
Glossy or anti-glare screens, etc. And you get to talk with the owner or builders if you have specialized requirements.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

You can order a laptop from most of the manufacturers without an os. Or, if you do what i did.....just find tha laptop you like, and spend a little more on a new version of windows 7. yes, you do spend more that way......... But, you end up with a laptop that only has Windows on it and no other proprietary software! I have been building my own computers now for about 20 years, for the same reasons that you listed. It's rediculous! You buy a new computer and all you see are programs that have been modified to display the manufacturers name........ i hate it! I hate it so much that I bought Windows 7. Re-partioned and formatted my laptop hdd, and loaded the new software. I would do it again. I've been extremely happy with my Sony Vaio laptop, and will gladly spend the extra dollars again next time to do the same thing.

mtnation

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Thanks for all the advice! I will look into Xotic and the option of just blowing the system out myself and see which is the less expensive option.

I end up being my entire families default PC guy because I build my own.

I wish they would sell laptop components, what is so hard about assembling it? All the same parts, just slimmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.