Windows XP services properties

I have recently installed Windows XP SP2 on
a new machine and by default whenever I start services.msc,
right-click on any service and select properties
the Display Name and Description fields are greyed out.
I login as the administrator, so I should have full
control over all the properties of a service. Strangely
enough I can start-stop-disable the service or change
the account under which it starts
but I cannot change something innocuous like the Description
field (even for services I installed myself). I have
another machine with Windows 2000 SP4 running and I
can change the description of every single service.
I have been unsuccessfully trying to fix this for several hours
(even using mmc to change the services permissions).
Can somebody help? I am getting a bit desperate!

Thank you

GG

Usually double clicking the service opens properties,but if you cant
adjust in that user account,try restart,or at computer start-up,tap the
F8 key,then select safe mode with networking,then enter xp as administrator,
reopen services,edit.

"GG" wrote:

> I have recently installed Windows XP SP2 on
> a new machine and by default whenever I start services.msc,
> right-click on any service and select properties
> the Display Name and Description fields are greyed out.
> I login as the administrator, so I should have full
> control over all the properties of a service. Strangely
> enough I can start-stop-disable the service or change
> the account under which it starts
> but I cannot change something innocuous like the Description
> field (even for services I installed myself). I have
> another machine with Windows 2000 SP4 running and I
> can change the description of every single service.
> I have been unsuccessfully trying to fix this for several hours
> (even using mmc to change the services permissions).
> Can somebody help? I am getting a bit desperate!
>
> Thank you
>
> GG

Well, I gave up trying to tweak the overly complicated
security settings of XP (if it was for me I wouldn't move from 2000
due to its sensible default settings).
Since I am the administrator I have full access to the registry
settings, so what I do (simpler than what you suggested) is
open regedit, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
and then change what I need in the services registry settings
(including Description and Display Name).
It is just plain stupid to stop the administrator from changing
the Description of a service in services.msc when in the registry
I could even change the execution string!
What I hate about XP is that the default security settings (even
for an administrator) are overly restrictive and complicated
to change (mmc is a typical example of what I am talking about).
It looks like they have been set for a network with
hundreds of users which clearly needs such security, I take care
of 7 machines and I really don't need such sophistication.

Thanks anyway

GG