Gforce3 vs 9600 pro stability

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Well. I once had a geforce3 which NEVER kicked out of 3d games. I got out the 9600 pro, put it in, rebooted, installed the 9600 cat 3.8. Ran detonator destroyer to remove old driver pieces. Played for 5 minutes and then blue screened. Changed to cat 3.7's, same result. Changed to cat 5's same result. Lowered my memory timings to default, same result. lowered my processor clock to default, same result. Installed newest Nforce drivers for my Asus A7n8x Deluxe...worse results. Uninstalled Nforce drivers, updated MOBO bios, same result. Installed cat 3.8's again, same result. I don't know what else to try.
I'm running:
Asus A7N8x deluxe rev 1.4 bios 1007
athlon 2500 barton
Hyperx PC 3200 2x256
Antec Truepower 480
ATI 9600 Pro built by ATI Cat 3.8
Game is Starlancer
Tried looping 3dmark2003 and 2001se and it kicks out after about 3 loops.
Haven't tried other games

The computer seems to be fine running every other application except for 3d games. I encoded video for over an hour and it didn't kick out. Any ideas?

It's all Bush's fault...all of it...

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Yank the cover off the side of the case and put a box fan pointing inward... see if that 'fixes' it... if so you're having an overheating issue on either the card or your processor now for some reason (perhaps jarred the proc fan putting card in? or card is flat overheating.)

Shadus

cleeve

Illustrious
Does it do that with EVERY game?

Check to see if the card's fan is working...

------------------
Radeon 9500 (hardmodded to PRO, o/c to 322/322)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (o/c to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
3dMark03: 4055

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I don't think it could be a cooling issue. Its a 9600 pro, which is the coolest running card I've ever seen. The processor is running at 40 degrees full load. Doesn't seem hot enough to warrant a blue screen.

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
The only 3d game I have right now is starlancer (don't play a lot of games). I'm downloading the halflife demo to test with, but tis not finished yet (dialup *sigh*). It blows up on the two 3dmark applications as well, though.

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
3d cards generally only get *real* hot while they're doing 3d operations... what you are describing is classic overheat issues. It's either the CPU or the card... one or the other, I'd wager money on it.

Edit: Or associated cooling solutions.

Shadus<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by shadus on 11/03/03 03:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
running with the side off... in my old case my 9700pro would overheat & crash my system during gaming... took a extra fan and/or a better case with better airflow to get rid of this problem

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've had a weird experience with my AIW 9600 Pro, after installing it my CPU temp went up. Overclocking the card too far causes my CPU to overheat and stop the system! But had my CPU been closer to the edge to begin with I wouldn't even need to overclock the card to make it overheat the CPU.

I don't know what causes the card to stress the CPU like that, unless it's the extra data the CPU is processing. My old card was lame, like your old card, but lamer still.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

REDmosquito

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2003
I just went from a G3 Ti500 to a R9600 and it doesnt lock up that often(every 5 mins) but i get a lock up and a vpu recover message at least once a day. I am beginning to hate this card, the OpenGl performance is not nearly as fast as my old geforce, and its been pretty unstable.

Maybe try disabling acpi, I know My card was on the same irq as every other device in my box and due to acpi inherent in XP I could not change it. I disabled it and have all my devices on seperate IRQ's now but I am running a friends g4ti4200 so i cant say if the radeons' stability wouldve been improved.

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/triumph_mod" target="_new">The Game Club</A> <font color=red>is a hangout for gamers who play multiple titles and want a lenient community to discuss whatevers on their mind</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by REDmosquito on 11/04/03 02:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>