Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is windows 8 a good gaming operating program?

Last response: in Windows 8
August 12, 2012 9:40:00 PM

should i use 8,or stick with 7?

Best solution

August 12, 2012 10:06:04 PM

Windows 8 has only preliminary benchmarks for beta versions of the software, unless you are a glutton for punishment or have a touch based system i would avoid windows 8 completely. The 15 dollar upgrade wouldn't even entice me to upgrade, they would have to pay me to upgrade to windows 8 and even then i wouldn't take less than 100. I would then downgrade back to 7 and buy 100 dollars of beer and weed, get completely trashed while wearing iron weights on my arms to simulate the windows 8 experience.
August 12, 2012 11:28:19 PM

thx.i will take that into account.
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2012 11:29:38 PM

scorpion5000 said:
should i use 8,or stick with 7?

I would stick with 7 my friend. :non: 

We all just need to batten down the hatches and wait for this Windows 8 BS to fail and pass.

My biggest fear is that Microsoft is going to release a new version of DirectX and only make it available to Windows 8 users so that gamers like you and me will be enticed into switching. They did it with Vista and they will do it again

Windows 7 was such a massive success, truly a fantastic OS, and now they want to throw it all away to compete with Apple. :pt1cable: 

Microsoft knows Window 8 is crap, they have to. Why else would they offer it for 15 bucks?

m
l
August 12, 2012 11:38:50 PM

Since WDDM 1.2 is present in Win 8 and not Vista and 7, it can be expected that DirectX 12 will be Win 8 only...

The question is... will the game studios go that path ? Or say to MS: "Screw You, We're going OpenGL".

Anyway, right now there's absolutely no reason to upgrade.
m
l
August 12, 2012 11:44:17 PM

thx every1.i dont have 2 waste money now :D 
m
l
August 12, 2012 11:49:02 PM

wavetrex said:
Since WDDM 1.2 is present in Win 8 and not Vista and 7, it can be expected that DirectX 12 will be Win 8 only...

The question is... will the game studios go that path ? Or say to MS: "Screw You, We're going OpenGL".

Anyway, right now there's absolutely no reason to upgrade.

The following took place after reading your response.

7:40pm - Reads thread
7:41pm - Closes web browser
7:41pm - Shuts down computer
7:42pm - Walks outside in the rain
7:43pm - Removes shirt
7:43pm - Raises fists to the sky
7:43pm - Screams: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"
7:45pm - Put shirt back on and comes back inside
7:46pm - Turns computer back on
7:47pm - Informs everyone on TomsHardware what just happened
m
l
August 12, 2012 11:59:11 PM

The problem with Windows 8 right now is the lack of stable video drivers. You cannot use Windows 7 video drivers on Windows 8. Only a few graphics cards have Windows 8 drivers and the ones that I have tried are very buggy, so until they get their act together I would avoid Windows 8 for gaming.
m
l
August 15, 2012 1:04:16 PM

halfblazed said:
7:46pm - Turns computer back on
7:47pm - Informs everyone on TomsHardware what just happened

dang you got a nice PC to boot and get on to toms within 1 minute and post that :p 

as for between 7 and 8, stick with 7 for now, they have stable drivers and its not in BETA. I do currently us 8 as my main OS and games, no issues thus far, some compatibility issues but just worked around them.

everything runs pretty much the same with games, so i would recommend just stick it out with 7 for now and if you want just try out 8 when you have spare time or wait until its released and stable
m
l
August 16, 2012 12:12:59 AM

i was one of the first to try windows 8 when it first become avalable before even the beta test and the main developer preview i saw a very early developer version thanks to microsoft and i have to say its just useless for games and all apps i mean as they are already talking of releasing windows blue in 2014 to replace it its not going to one the shelves for more than 12 months so there just is no point in it full stop and it only works well o awesome pcs with touch compatible hardware. you cant beat win 7 at the mo for games or any app but i agree that direct x 12 will probably be win 8 only
m
l
August 16, 2012 12:29:08 AM

let's put it this way.

high majority of PC gamers are on win7.
All games will be designed to support Win7 as that is where their customers are.

Wait until your killer game that you must play come out that say "optimized" for win8, then maybe consider switching over.
m
l
August 16, 2012 12:54:24 AM

Ok let’s say dx12 is exclusive to win8. What will the next consoles be using? I’m assuming not as advanced but I could be surprised.

Despite win7 /dx11 being prominent in the next year or two, perhaps next gen consoles could be a blessing in disguise. Not only graphic improvements, but also for limiting developers from alienating Win7 users too.

Surely M$ seen that coming unless someone’s getting a good kick out of it if dx12 was worth upgrading for pc exclusives and next gen consoles were also dx12.

m
l
August 16, 2012 12:55:27 AM

With all the King Pins in the gaming industry dubbing Windows 8 a catastrophe I dare say it will go openGL or they will stay with 7 until we see what 9 looks like
m
l
August 17, 2012 11:31:18 PM

axleh93 said:
With all the King Pins in the gaming industry dubbing Windows 8 a catastrophe I dare say it will go openGL or they will stay with 7 until we see what 9 looks like

The real King Pins are Ubisoft, EA and Activision, and they will:

a) Not be releasing games that don't work on Windows 8. In fact they'll probably use support for it as a selling point. Releasing a new title that doesn't support the current version of Windows is a ludicrous idea.
b) Not be switching to OpenGL. Does anybody really think that a major developer/publisher (other than perhaps Valve) is seriously considering OpenGL?
m
l
August 18, 2012 1:00:50 PM

Don't bother upgrading until something like SP1 comes out or they fix it up eg task bar.

NOTE: Windows 8 I believe dramatically helps the AMD Bulldozer range, speed wise; this seems to be the case on most cpus though.
m
l
August 19, 2012 1:43:36 PM

randomizer said:

a) Not be releasing games that don't work on Windows 8. In fact they'll probably use support for it as a selling point. Releasing a new title that doesn't support the current version of Windows is a ludicrous idea.
b) Not be switching to OpenGL. Does anybody really think that a major developer/publisher (other than perhaps Valve) is seriously considering OpenGL?

i totally agree

it would be in their worst interest not ot make them for windows 8 and advertise as such since a lot of people are going to have windows 8 on all their new systems that roll out for people who don't build their own.

as well being directX is the norm of game development and what just about every major game company uses, it would be very costly to switch or port everything to another programming language and also hire people that are well versed in OpenGL along side DirectX.

"talking of releasing windows blue in 2014"

havent heard of that yet... might be something i will look in to today
m
l
August 19, 2012 4:09:52 PM

digitljedi327 said:
. you cant beat win 7 at the mo for games or any app but i agree that direct x 12 will probably be win 8 only
Microsoft will probably only release for DX12 for Winhate but eventually someone will hack it for Win7/Vista.
m
l
August 21, 2012 2:06:53 AM

I'm not at all sure about hard core "gaming" stuff, but I can tell you that the Solitaire game on Windows 8 kinda sucks. I also think that Mahjong is slow and unresponsive.

Just sayin...
m
l
August 22, 2012 11:24:27 PM

From all the videos I've seen on Windows 8, it looks like a disaster. Not something I want on my gaming rig. I'm so glad I bought my new PC now....with Windows 7. I'm going to keep it as long as I can. I don't know what Microsoft was thinking with Windows 8, but they really screwed things up. :pfff: 
m
l
August 24, 2012 12:55:42 PM

randomizer said:

Blizzard has said they don't use directX as they have their own libraries because of their cross platform development with OSX. I imagine Ubisoft and EA have similar libraries to allow development on PS3 and WII. I doubt any of them would have trouble avoiding directX if they had to. Independent developpers are the ones most heavily dependent on DirectX.

Will directX 12 be a incremental change, or add specific new features?
m
l
August 25, 2012 11:32:14 AM

kfitzenreiter said:
I'm not at all sure about hard core "gaming" stuff, but I can tell you that the Solitaire game on Windows 8 kinda sucks. I also think that Mahjong is slow and unresponsive.

Just sayin...

thx 4 that im 'not to addicted at all' to minecraft...lol
m
l
August 28, 2012 1:11:19 PM

silvermink said:
Blizzard has said they don't use directX as they have their own libraries because of their cross platform development with OSX.

They do use DirectX for their Windows version of games. you can set which directX you want to use in WoW?
they just port it to use another graphical language on MAC
m
l
August 28, 2012 1:25:07 PM

Stick with Windows 7
m
l
August 30, 2012 2:24:19 PM

Lots of Windows 8 hate.

I use both OSes, 7 on my main rig and 8 on the laptop, so I could become familiar with it if I end up getting a Windows 8 tablet.

Honestly, once you get past the shock of dealing with the metro ui, it really isn't bad, just different (read: steep initial learning curve).
I run Steam on Windows 8 all the time, and other than installing a Windows Live workaround for Dark Souls (because it is a new OS) I haven't had any problems at all.
Sure the start button is gone, but by pressing Windows key + Q (instead of just Windows key) the same functionally is right there.

For those stating that it must be terrible because Win 9 is in development, that isn't an indication of anything on Windows 8.
R&D is a constant, haphard cycle; for example, development on Windows 7 started in 2000 as as successor to XP.
Vista was interjected as an interim OS, and unfortunately it showed. (see the following for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Windows_7)
However, that resulted in a much cleaner and better implementation of Windows 7.

In short, Win 7 and 8 are both solid OSes, the practical different being Windows 7 requires little adaption and has the benefit of several years of third-party / multiple vendor support.
There aren't any enticing reaons to use Windows 8 now, particularly with a lack of third-party support, but time will tell whether Windows Live integration and other factors make it a worthwhile transition.

Ultimately, I wouldn't recommend changing OSes if you're comfortable with Win 7--other than familiarity, there's no real gain by switching to Win 8 now--but it isn't some horror show to be avoided like Vista was; it's just a matter of preference, and some compatibility issues that'll improve with time.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
August 30, 2012 3:03:21 PM

halfblazed said:
I We all just need to batten down the hatches and wait for this Windows 8 BS to fail and pass.

I'm gonna watch Son-of-Vista step on buildings in Tokyo and eat several Japanese people on my 4k resolution Sony TV whilst hitting the button on my windows remote to the winXP HTPC for the USB popcorn machine to make me a bowl of movie-style pseudo-butter.
m
l
August 30, 2012 4:49:38 PM

I would say stay with win7 like many ppl said above, no big difference really except in the interface. Most interesting benefit in win8 though is that it works on tablets, so you can use all your apps that you use on the desktop on the tablet as well, unlike say Ipad...one draw back is that they removed the start button in win8 which is kind of annoying if I might add.
m
l
August 30, 2012 5:47:19 PM

sscultima said:
They do use DirectX for their Windows version of games. you can set which directX you want to use in WoW?
they just port it to use another graphical language on MAC

For wow in linux you used to be able to set it to use OpenGl, but it looks like they have stopped support - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3657426477 . Now, as far as I know, people use direct X via WINE.
m
l
August 31, 2012 6:22:00 PM

I have tested windows 8 RTM on one of my friends laptop.(MSDN AA)
It feels much faster and smoother.
But the interface doesn't look like it will be a success for traditional PC.(Big tiles and plain colour which is boring)
You need time to get used to the interface.(A few days)
There is no start menu.(Uh...)
I prefer Windows aero than just plain colours that Windows 8 offers.
For Gaming I just don't see enough reason to upgrade yet.
Windows 8 is more like a tablet OS
For tablets=Yes
For Desktop=No
Stick with Windows 7 and be happy.
Just my opinion.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b * Windows 8
September 4, 2012 1:24:33 AM

I would personally stick with Win 7 especially when I recently upgraded from Win XP.
m
l
September 6, 2012 2:08:39 PM

I'm running 8 release preview right now, and, aside from some random bugs, it's a great OS! Guys are putting out some mods soon to give you an actual start menu, but metro itself is a decent feature (and the thing is that it doesn't get in the way if you don't want it to). Also, there are so many little upgrades that going back to Windows 7 hardly seems to be an option anymore.
m
l
September 7, 2012 8:12:15 PM

Would wait a little bit. It's not a full release yet, so public has to break it in a little more and point out any bugs. You're dealing with an adapted instruction set in terms of software implementation, and game makers are making games right now for 7. Full 8 support wont kick in until 8 actually launches, or shortly thereafter. So, while I like the OS, I would suggest waiting about a month after launch to make a decision on upgrade. I think there will be a benefit, but you should wait for more info and support.
m
l
!