Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How do you clean LCD screens

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
January 19, 2005 9:07:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
it in case I scratch it. TIA
ricardo

More about : clean lcd screens

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:07:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, ricardo wrote:

>Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
>it in case I scratch it.

I use lint-free cloth moistened with diluted washing-up liquid. I don't
know if you call it the same in Oz, but if not, get photographic wetting
agent. Then repeat with clean water.

Whatever you do, don't use a dry kitchen towel (to wipe anything for
that matter).
--
Nigel M
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:07:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
news:AGnHd.143$g05.4447@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
> Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean Dell
> LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe it in
> case I scratch it. TIA
> ricardo


Look for a 3M "Scotch Brite High Performance Cleaning Cloth" at your local
retailer. Lightly dampened or dry, they're safe to do what you want.
They're also good for cleaning CRTs and even reading glasses.

http://tinyurl.com/4uzar


Stew
Related resources
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:07:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:

>Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
>Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
>it in case I scratch it. TIA
>ricardo
I use rubbing alcohol, be sure it does not contain oil. Use a cotton
ball to wipe the screen.
--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
January 19, 2005 9:07:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Luke warm water and a 100% cotton cloth. I also use lens cleaner from a eye
glass maker. Make sure your cloth is 100% cotton. If you have doubts then
tear off a piece and light it with a cig. lighter. If you see blue sparks or
discolorations when the cloth is burning then you have a rag with some type
of metal or bi-products incorporated in it.


"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
news:AGnHd.143$g05.4447@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
> Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean Dell
> LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe it in
> case I scratch it. TIA
> ricardo
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:07:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

With LCD screen cleaners ;)  seriously, you can buy tubs of 100 pre-moistened
tissues at Rymans in the UK

g

"Nigel M" <reply@thegroup.com> wrote in message
news:tiasu0dv8hmblhkr3r474338jj9dkf7g16@4ax.com...
> In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, ricardo wrote:
>
>>Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
>>it in case I scratch it.
>
> I use lint-free cloth moistened with diluted washing-up liquid. I don't
> know if you call it the same in Oz, but if not, get photographic wetting
> agent. Then repeat with clean water.
>
> Whatever you do, don't use a dry kitchen towel (to wipe anything for
> that matter).
> --
> Nigel M
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:07:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, no_one@example.net wrote:

>--
>A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
>Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
>A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

ROFL!


--
Nigel M
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 4:41:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Kimberley-Clark's Kimwipes are fine, too. They come in industrial and small
sizes. My wife cleans her glasses with with them. I also use a commercial CRT
cleaner applied very lightly to remove the food spatters and other evidence of
careless use from clients' computers including LCD screens... Ben Myers

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:54:57 -0600, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>
>"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
>news:AGnHd.143$g05.4447@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
>> Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean Dell
>> LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe it in
>> case I scratch it. TIA
>> ricardo
>
>
>Look for a 3M "Scotch Brite High Performance Cleaning Cloth" at your local
>retailer. Lightly dampened or dry, they're safe to do what you want.
>They're also good for cleaning CRTs and even reading glasses.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4uzar
>
>
>Stew
>
>
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:52:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:
>Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
>Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
>it in case I scratch it. TIA

I use a paper towel or lint-free cloth sprayed (the cloth, not the
screen) with any random glass cleaner (Windex, etc). They are hard to
scratch...
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 2:52:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

William, P.N., Smith wrote:
>
> ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:
> >Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
> >Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
> >it in case I scratch it. TIA
>
> I use a paper towel or lint-free cloth sprayed (the cloth, not the
> screen) with any random glass cleaner (Windex, etc). They are hard to
> scratch...

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use anything with ammonia in it (e.g., Windex)!

And, as far as being "hard to scratch," are you on drugs?

Notan
January 20, 2005 8:02:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
news:AGnHd.143$g05.4447@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
> Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean Dell
> LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe it in
> case I scratch it. TIA
> ricardo

Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html

Craig
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:09:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote in message
news:p TVHd.30580$Tf5.26552@lakeread03...
>
> "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
> news:AGnHd.143$g05.4447@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
>> Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
>> Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
>> it in case I scratch it. TIA
>> ricardo
>
> Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
> http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html
>
> Craig
>


"Die, evil thread die."

Horse + beating = death


Stew
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:14:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Notan wrote:

>Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use anything with ammonia in it (e.g., Windex)!

If it has ammonia in it, then no way!

We can't get Windex in the UK AFAIK. Isn't that the stuff that fixes
everything, and gets rid of zits? ;-) (What film was that?)

Anyone know what it is called elsewhere?

--
Nigel M
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:14:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Nigel M wrote:
>
> In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Notan wrote:
>
> >Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use anything with ammonia in it (e.g., Windex)!
>
> If it has ammonia in it, then no way!
>
> We can't get Windex in the UK AFAIK. Isn't that the stuff that fixes
> everything, and gets rid of zits? ;-) (What film was that?)

No, that's WD-40. <g>

Notan
January 20, 2005 11:26:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:52:46 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, William P.N.
Smith wrote:

>ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:
>>Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
>>Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
>>it in case I scratch it. TIA
>
>I use a paper towel or lint-free cloth sprayed (the cloth, not the
>screen) with any random glass cleaner (Windex, etc). They are hard to
>scratch...

Shudder...

1. Do NOT use glass or window cleaners, such as Windex: those have ammonia
or other cleansers in them that can damage the anti-reflection coating on
CRTs and flat panels.

Also avoid any other cleaners or solvents that aren't specifically intended
for CRTs and flat panel displays (or suggested in the monitor's
documentation), for the same reason.

2. Do NOT use paper towels, paper napkins, etc.: those can scratch the
surface. If you think about what paper is made of, the reason for that
should be pretty obvious.

A soft 100% cotton cloth with plain water is safe and should handle routine
cleaning just fine. Wipes and cleaning fluids specifically meant for CRTs
and flat panels are also fine. Or check the documentation for the monitor
to see what the manufacturer suggests.

If the screen is gritty or has a lot of dust built up on it, try to gently
blow or brush (with something very soft) most of it off before wiping the
screen, so there's less chance of grinding any coarse particles into the
screen and scratching it.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.
January 21, 2005 12:20:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:0JXHd.7289$8W4.5769@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
>
> "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote in message
> news:p TVHd.30580$Tf5.26552@lakeread03...
>>
>> "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
>> news:AGnHd.143$g05.4447@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
>>> Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
>>> Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
>>> it in case I scratch it. TIA
>>> ricardo
>>
>> Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
>> http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html
>>
>> Craig
>>
>
>
> "Die, evil thread die."
>
> Horse + beating = death
>
>
> Stew
>

Since when have you been the self appointed newsgroup monitor?

<plonk>

Craig
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:08:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Nope. Cures warts, hives, and gout. I wish that Windex would cure Windows, but
nobody has come out with a Windows cure yet... Ben Myers

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:14:56 GMT, Nigel M <reply@thegroup.com> wrote:

>In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Notan wrote:
>
>>Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use anything with ammonia in it (e.g., Windex)!
>
>If it has ammonia in it, then no way!
>
>We can't get Windex in the UK AFAIK. Isn't that the stuff that fixes
>everything, and gets rid of zits? ;-) (What film was that?)
>
>Anyone know what it is called elsewhere?
>
>--
>Nigel M
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:08:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Ben Myers wrote:
>
> Nope. Cures warts, hives, and gout. I wish that Windex would cure Windows, but
> nobody has come out with a Windows cure yet... Ben Myers

Some would say "Linux," but, personally, I'm not gonna open
*that* can of worms! <g>

Notan
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 4:48:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

At the risk of being flamed & certainly ridiculed this seems a safe
enough place to reveal a wild cure:
A friend recently revealed that a VERY bad knee is temporarily cured
for several months with a good coating of WD-40. It drier fairly
quickly & at any rate its only once every few months.
He came upon this solution from his dad who said that mechanics that
used WD-40 rarely had arthritis in their hands.
I hesitate to pass on untested info, so you're on your own.
BTW this fellow is VERY heavy.

Good luck

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:41:14 -0700, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>Nigel M wrote:
>>
>> In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Notan wrote:
>>
>> >Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use anything with ammonia in it (e.g., Windex)!
>>
>> If it has ammonia in it, then no way!
>>
>> We can't get Windex in the UK AFAIK. Isn't that the stuff that fixes
>> everything, and gets rid of zits? ;-) (What film was that?)
>
>No, that's WD-40. <g>
>
>Notan
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 4:48:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

gg wrote:
>
> At the risk of being flamed & certainly ridiculed this seems a safe
> enough place to reveal a wild cure:
> A friend recently revealed that a VERY bad knee is temporarily cured
> for several months with a good coating of WD-40. It drier fairly
> quickly & at any rate its only once every few months.
> He came upon this solution from his dad who said that mechanics that
> used WD-40 rarely had arthritis in their hands.
> I hesitate to pass on untested info, so you're on your own.
> BTW this fellow is VERY heavy.

Did he topically apply it or inhale it? <g>

Notan
January 21, 2005 12:11:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

gg wrote:
> At the risk of being flamed & certainly ridiculed this seems a safe
> enough place to reveal a wild cure:

You're right - flame & ridicule to you.

;) 
January 21, 2005 12:56:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
news:5932v0t09hep42gutgskqeqrqtvoobbqff@4ax.com...
> "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
>>Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
>>http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html
>
> Countercite from a manufacturer:
> http://www.caltronind.com/faq/faq.html
>
>

Caltronind??? =Generic???

I have heard NEC and Mitsubishi

My counter site form a "Known" manufacturer NEC-Mitsubishi

http://www.necmitsubishi.com/support/techsupport/howtog...

Craig
January 21, 2005 10:48:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Craig wrote:

> <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> news:5932v0t09hep42gutgskqeqrqtvoobbqff@4ax.com...
>
>>"Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
>>>http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html
>>
>>Countercite from a manufacturer:
>>http://www.caltronind.com/faq/faq.html
>>
>>
>
>
> Caltronind??? =Generic???
>
> I have heard NEC and Mitsubishi
>
> My counter site form a "Known" manufacturer NEC-Mitsubishi
>
> http://www.necmitsubishi.com/support/techsupport/howtog...


So it seems steel wool & Boraxo is right out.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:04:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
>http://www.planar.com/Advantages/WhitePapers/docs/an821...

Doesn't mention the mythical "Ammonia Prohibition" which I've been
trying to find a decent cite for.

I'm not giving you a hard time, BTW, I'm honestly trying to find out
if Windex (for instance) is bad for LCDs and if so why. Your last
URL, from an actual manufacturer, merely prohibits Isopropyl in high
concentrations because it might remove date code and other printed
information.
January 22, 2005 12:09:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
news:3493v0l1d72m5lddljknl49ibnn7jchhep@4ax.com...
> "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
>>http://www.planar.com/Advantages/WhitePapers/docs/an821...
>
> Doesn't mention the mythical "Ammonia Prohibition" which I've been
> trying to find a decent cite for.
>
> I'm not giving you a hard time, BTW, I'm honestly trying to find out
> if Windex (for instance) is bad for LCDs and if so why. Your last
> URL, from an actual manufacturer, merely prohibits Isopropyl in high
> concentrations because it might remove date code and other printed
> information.

DELL Support information from DELL http://lnk.nu/support.dell.com/12j

It's real simple if you by the Windex that has ammonia in it, it's bad for
the LCD, in time the ammonia can discolor the screen.

Craig
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 12:09:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

William, P.N., Smith wrote:
>
> "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
> >http://www.planar.com/Advantages/WhitePapers/docs/an821...
>
> Doesn't mention the mythical "Ammonia Prohibition" which I've been
> trying to find a decent cite for.
>
> I'm not giving you a hard time, BTW, I'm honestly trying to find out
> if Windex (for instance) is bad for LCDs and if so why. Your last
> URL, from an actual manufacturer, merely prohibits Isopropyl in high
> concentrations because it might remove date code and other printed
> information.

Here you go, straight from Dell:

http://terfaltz.notlong.com

Or, try Googling "ammonia lcd" for thousands of hits.

Notan
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 5:55:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

In summary, ANY fairly serious solvent can do damage to an LCD screen or a
coated CRT screen. Alcohols and products with ammonia are fairly serious
solvents. Look what either one can do to you if drunk in excess. :) 

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:09:39 -0500, "Craig"
<124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:

>
><William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
>news:3493v0l1d72m5lddljknl49ibnn7jchhep@4ax.com...
>> "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
>>>http://www.planar.com/Advantages/WhitePapers/docs/an821...
>>
>> Doesn't mention the mythical "Ammonia Prohibition" which I've been
>> trying to find a decent cite for.
>>
>> I'm not giving you a hard time, BTW, I'm honestly trying to find out
>> if Windex (for instance) is bad for LCDs and if so why. Your last
>> URL, from an actual manufacturer, merely prohibits Isopropyl in high
>> concentrations because it might remove date code and other printed
>> information.
>
>DELL Support information from DELL http://lnk.nu/support.dell.com/12j
>
>It's real simple if you by the Windex that has ammonia in it, it's bad for
>the LCD, in time the ammonia can discolor the screen.
>
>Craig
>
>
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 3:24:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

clearly jou can put in dishwasher. they are dishwasher safe. it says so in
manual. trust me. i'm in dell tech support in bagaloser inja. tank juo
and have day good!

"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
news:AGnHd.143$g05.4447@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
> Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
> Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
> it in case I scratch it. TIA
> ricardo
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 4:27:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

i have drunk alcohol in excess many times and i can attest that the lcd is
burrier and blurrier the more i drink. spilling martinis on the keyboard
and mice also is not a good thing. please join People Against Drunk Surfing
(PADS) and help save a mouse and keyboard you know... buuuuurrrrppppp

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:41f1bd38.8726273@nntp.charter.net...
> In summary, ANY fairly serious solvent can do damage to an LCD screen or a
> coated CRT screen. Alcohols and products with ammonia are fairly serious
> solvents. Look what either one can do to you if drunk in excess. :) 
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:09:39 -0500, "Craig"
> <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
>
> >
> ><William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> >news:3493v0l1d72m5lddljknl49ibnn7jchhep@4ax.com...
> >> "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
> >>>http://www.planar.com/Advantages/WhitePapers/docs/an821...
> >>
> >> Doesn't mention the mythical "Ammonia Prohibition" which I've been
> >> trying to find a decent cite for.
> >>
> >> I'm not giving you a hard time, BTW, I'm honestly trying to find out
> >> if Windex (for instance) is bad for LCDs and if so why. Your last
> >> URL, from an actual manufacturer, merely prohibits Isopropyl in high
> >> concentrations because it might remove date code and other printed
> >> information.
> >
> >DELL Support information from DELL http://lnk.nu/support.dell.com/12j
> >
> >It's real simple if you by the Windex that has ammonia in it, it's bad
for
> >the LCD, in time the ammonia can discolor the screen.
> >
> >Craig
> >
> >
>
January 22, 2005 7:36:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:04:15 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, William P.N.
Smith wrote:

>"Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
>>http://www.planar.com/Advantages/WhitePapers/docs/an821...
>
>Doesn't mention the mythical "Ammonia Prohibition" which I've been
>trying to find a decent cite for.
>
>I'm not giving you a hard time, BTW, I'm honestly trying to find out
>if Windex (for instance) is bad for LCDs and if so why. Your last
>URL, from an actual manufacturer, merely prohibits Isopropyl in high
>concentrations because it might remove date code and other printed
>information.

Well, the first time I heard about the ammonia (and other solvents) problem
was back in my pre-Windows/Intel days: a Commodore tech support person
mentioned people wrecking the anti-reflection coating on their CRT monitors
because they used Windex or other cleansers with ammonia to clean them; the
ammonia would actually dissolve the coating.

And I know I've seen warnings to avoid cleaners with ammonia and other
solvents in the manuals (yes, I'm one of the weirdoes who actually reads
manuals :)  ) for various monitors I've owned over the years.

Glass is fairly resistant to a lot of chemicals, but plastics and other
materials often aren't.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 11:39:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
>in time the ammonia can discolor the screen.

Ah, maybe it's the "in time" thing. I probably clean my screens
quarterly (if that), but I'll look for a non-ammonia cleaner for the
future.

Thanks!
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 4:53:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

>On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:04:15 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, William P.N.
>Smith wrote:
>>Doesn't mention the mythical "Ammonia Prohibition" which I've been
>>trying to find a decent cite for.

In case you missed the pointer the other day, here's what Dell support
has to say on the site at
<http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.
aspx/support/kb/en/document?
c=us&cs=19&DN=1011125&l=en&opt=true&s=dhs&~mode=popup>

<quoting>
NOTICE: Do not use any of the following chemicals or any solutions
that contain them: Acetone, ethyl alcohol, toluene, ethyl acid,
ammonia, or methyl chloride. If you have a different chemical or
solution and are not sure whether it is suitable, do not use it. Using
any of the chemicals in the previous list may cause permanent damage
to the LCD or flat panel screen. Some commercial window cleaners
contain ammonia and are therefore unacceptable.
</quoting>

>>I'm not giving you a hard time, BTW, I'm honestly trying to find out
>>if Windex (for instance) is bad for LCDs and if so why. Your last
>>URL, from an actual manufacturer, merely prohibits Isopropyl in high
>>concentrations because it might remove date code and other printed
>>information.

The Dell site goes on to say:
<quoting>
There are many cleaning solutions sold specifically as LCD cleaners.
You can use these to clean LCD screens on Dell notebooks. Alternately,
you may use a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and water mixture.
Microfiber cloths such as those used to clean eyeglasses are excellent
for use with LCDs.
</quoting>

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID
!