How do you clean LCD screens

Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
it in case I scratch it. TIA
ricardo
33 answers Last reply
More about clean screens

    In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, ricardo wrote:

    >Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
    >it in case I scratch it.

    I use lint-free cloth moistened with diluted washing-up liquid. I don't
    know if you call it the same in Oz, but if not, get photographic wetting
    agent. Then repeat with clean water.

    Whatever you do, don't use a dry kitchen towel (to wipe anything for
    that matter).
    --
    Nigel M

    "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean Dell
    > LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe it in
    > case I scratch it. TIA
    > ricardo

    Look for a 3M "Scotch Brite High Performance Cleaning Cloth" at your local
    retailer. Lightly dampened or dry, they're safe to do what you want.
    They're also good for cleaning CRTs and even reading glasses.

    http://tinyurl.com/4uzar

    Stew

    ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:

    >Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
    >Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
    >it in case I scratch it. TIA
    >ricardo
    I use rubbing alcohol, be sure it does not contain oil. Use a cotton
    ball to wipe the screen.
    --
    A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

    Luke warm water and a 100% cotton cloth. I also use lens cleaner from a eye
    glass maker. Make sure your cloth is 100% cotton. If you have doubts then
    tear off a piece and light it with a cig. lighter. If you see blue sparks or
    discolorations when the cloth is burning then you have a rag with some type
    of metal or bi-products incorporated in it.

    "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean Dell
    > LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe it in
    > case I scratch it. TIA
    > ricardo

    With LCD screen cleaners ;) seriously, you can buy tubs of 100 pre-moistened
    tissues at Rymans in the UK

    In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, no_one@example.net wrote:

    >--
    >A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
    >Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
    >A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    >Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    ROFL!

    --
    Nigel M

    Kimberley-Clark's Kimwipes are fine, too. They come in industrial and small
    sizes. My wife cleans her glasses with with them. I also use a commercial CRT
    cleaner applied very lightly to remove the food spatters and other evidence of
    careless use from clients' computers including LCD screens... Ben Myers

    ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:
    >Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
    >Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
    >it in case I scratch it. TIA

    I use a paper towel or lint-free cloth sprayed (the cloth, not the
    screen) with any random glass cleaner (Windex, etc). They are hard to
    scratch...

    William, P.N., Smith wrote:

    > ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:
    > >Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
    > >Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
    > >it in case I scratch it. TIA
    >
    > I use a paper towel or lint-free cloth sprayed (the cloth, not the
    > screen) with any random glass cleaner (Windex, etc). They are hard to
    > scratch...

    Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use anything with ammonia in it (e.g., Windex)!

    And, as far as being "hard to scratch," are you on drugs?

    Notan

    "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean Dell
    > LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe it in
    > case I scratch it. TIA
    > ricardo

    Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
    http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html

    Craig

    "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote in message

    > "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
    >> Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
    >> it in case I scratch it. TIA
    >> ricardo
    >
    > Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
    > http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html
    >
    > Craig

    "Die, evil thread die."

    Horse + beating = death

    Stew

    In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Notan wrote:

    >Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use anything with ammonia in it (e.g., Windex)!

    If it has ammonia in it, then no way!

    We can't get Windex in the UK AFAIK. Isn't that the stuff that fixes
    everything, and gets rid of zits? ;-) (What film was that?)

    Anyone know what it is called elsewhere?

    --
    Nigel M

    Nigel M wrote:

    > In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Notan wrote:
    >
    > >Do not, I repeat, DO NOT use anything with ammonia in it (e.g., Windex)!
    >
    > If it has ammonia in it, then no way!
    >
    > We can't get Windex in the UK AFAIK. Isn't that the stuff that fixes
    > everything, and gets rid of zits? ;-) (What film was that?)

    No, that's WD-40. <g>

    Notan

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:52:46 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, William P.N.
    Smith wrote:

    >ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:
    >>Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
    >>Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
    >>it in case I scratch it. TIA
    >
    >I use a paper towel or lint-free cloth sprayed (the cloth, not the
    >screen) with any random glass cleaner (Windex, etc). They are hard to
    >scratch...

    Shudder...

    1. Do NOT use glass or window cleaners, such as Windex: those have ammonia
    or other cleansers in them that can damage the anti-reflection coating on
    CRTs and flat panels.

    Also avoid any other cleaners or solvents that aren't specifically intended
    for CRTs and flat panel displays (or suggested in the monitor's
    documentation), for the same reason.

    2. Do NOT use paper towels, paper napkins, etc.: those can scratch the
    surface. If you think about what paper is made of, the reason for that
    should be pretty obvious.

    A soft 100% cotton cloth with plain water is safe and should handle routine
    cleaning just fine. Wipes and cleaning fluids specifically meant for CRTs
    and flat panels are also fine. Or check the documentation for the monitor
    to see what the manufacturer suggests.

    If the screen is gritty or has a lot of dust built up on it, try to gently
    blow or brush (with something very soft) most of it off before wiping the
    screen, so there's less chance of grinding any coarse particles into the
    screen and scratching it.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

    Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

    Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
    doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.

    > "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
    >>> Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
    >>> it in case I scratch it. TIA
    >>> ricardo
    >>
    >> Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
    >> http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html
    >>
    >> Craig
    >>

    > "Die, evil thread die."
    >
    > Horse + beating = death
    >

    > Stew

    Since when have you been the self appointed newsgroup monitor?

    <plonk>

    Craig

    Nope. Cures warts, hives, and gout. I wish that Windex would cure Windows, but
    nobody has come out with a Windows cure yet... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > Nope. Cures warts, hives, and gout. I wish that Windex would cure Windows, but
    > nobody has come out with a Windows cure yet... Ben Myers

    Some would say "Linux," but, personally, I'm not gonna open
    *that* can of worms! <g>

    Notan

    At the risk of being flamed & certainly ridiculed this seems a safe
    enough place to reveal a wild cure:
    A friend recently revealed that a VERY bad knee is temporarily cured
    for several months with a good coating of WD-40. It drier fairly
    quickly & at any rate its only once every few months.
    He came upon this solution from his dad who said that mechanics that
    used WD-40 rarely had arthritis in their hands.
    I hesitate to pass on untested info, so you're on your own.
    BTW this fellow is VERY heavy.

    Good luck

    gg wrote:

    > At the risk of being flamed & certainly ridiculed this seems a safe
    > enough place to reveal a wild cure:
    > A friend recently revealed that a VERY bad knee is temporarily cured
    > for several months with a good coating of WD-40. It drier fairly
    > quickly & at any rate its only once every few months.
    > He came upon this solution from his dad who said that mechanics that
    > used WD-40 rarely had arthritis in their hands.
    > I hesitate to pass on untested info, so you're on your own.
    > BTW this fellow is VERY heavy.

    Did he topically apply it or inhale it? <g>

    Notan

    gg wrote:
    > At the risk of being flamed & certainly ridiculed this seems a safe
    > enough place to reveal a wild cure:

    You're right - flame & ridicule to you.

    ;)

    "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
    >Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
    >http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html

    Countercite from a manufacturer:
    http://www.caltronind.com/faq/faq.html

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
    >>Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
    >>http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html
    >
    > Countercite from a manufacturer:
    > http://www.caltronind.com/faq/faq.html

    Caltronind??? =Generic???

    I have heard NEC and Mitsubishi

    My counter site form a "Known" manufacturer NEC-Mitsubishi

    http://www.necmitsubishi.com/support/techsupport/howtoguide/cleaning_your_monitor_lcd.htm

    Craig

    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
    >>Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
    >>http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html
    >
    > Countercite from a manufacturer:
    > http://www.caltronind.com/faq/faq.html

    Here is another
    http://www.planar.com/Advantages/WhitePapers/docs/an821-01.pdf

    From Planer

    Craig

    Craig wrote:

    > <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Good information on LCD monitor cleaning
    >>>http://isweb.fdu.edu/computing/lcd.html
    >>
    >>Countercite from a manufacturer:
    >>http://www.caltronind.com/faq/faq.html
    >>

    > Caltronind??? =Generic???
    >
    > I have heard NEC and Mitsubishi
    >
    > My counter site form a "Known" manufacturer NEC-Mitsubishi
    >
    > http://www.necmitsubishi.com/support/techsupport/howtoguide/cleaning_your_monitor_lcd.htm

    So it seems steel wool & Boraxo is right out.

    "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
    >http://www.planar.com/Advantages/WhitePapers/docs/an821-01.pdf

    Doesn't mention the mythical "Ammonia Prohibition" which I've been
    trying to find a decent cite for.

    I'm not giving you a hard time, BTW, I'm honestly trying to find out
    if Windex (for instance) is bad for LCDs and if so why. Your last
    URL, from an actual manufacturer, merely prohibits Isopropyl in high
    concentrations because it might remove date code and other printed
    information.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
    >>http://www.planar.com/Advantages/WhitePapers/docs/an821-01.pdf
    >
    > Doesn't mention the mythical "Ammonia Prohibition" which I've been
    > trying to find a decent cite for.
    >
    > I'm not giving you a hard time, BTW, I'm honestly trying to find out
    > if Windex (for instance) is bad for LCDs and if so why. Your last
    > URL, from an actual manufacturer, merely prohibits Isopropyl in high
    > concentrations because it might remove date code and other printed
    > information.

    DELL Support information from DELL http://lnk.nu/support.dell.com/12j

    It's real simple if you by the Windex that has ammonia in it, it's bad for
    the LCD, in time the ammonia can discolor the screen.

    Craig
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    William, P.N., Smith wrote:

    > "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
    > >http://www.planar.com/Advantages/WhitePapers/docs/an821-01.pdf
    >
    > Doesn't mention the mythical "Ammonia Prohibition" which I've been
    > trying to find a decent cite for.
    >
    > I'm not giving you a hard time, BTW, I'm honestly trying to find out
    > if Windex (for instance) is bad for LCDs and if so why. Your last
    > URL, from an actual manufacturer, merely prohibits Isopropyl in high
    > concentrations because it might remove date code and other printed
    > information.

    Here you go, straight from Dell:

    http://terfaltz.notlong.com

    Or, try Googling "ammonia lcd" for thousands of hits.

    Notan
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    In summary, ANY fairly serious solvent can do damage to an LCD screen or a
    coated CRT screen. Alcohols and products with ammonia are fairly serious
    solvents. Look what either one can do to you if drunk in excess. :)

    .... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:09:39 -0500, "Craig"
    <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:

    ><William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    >> "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
    >>>http://www.planar.com/Advantages/WhitePapers/docs/an821-01.pdf
    >>
    >> Doesn't mention the mythical "Ammonia Prohibition" which I've been
    >> trying to find a decent cite for.
    >>
    >> I'm not giving you a hard time, BTW, I'm honestly trying to find out
    >> if Windex (for instance) is bad for LCDs and if so why. Your last
    >> URL, from an actual manufacturer, merely prohibits Isopropyl in high
    >> concentrations because it might remove date code and other printed
    >> information.
    >
    >DELL Support information from DELL http://lnk.nu/support.dell.com/12j
    >
    >It's real simple if you by the Windex that has ammonia in it, it's bad for
    >the LCD, in time the ammonia can discolor the screen.
    >
    >Craig

  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    clearly jou can put in dishwasher. they are dishwasher safe. it says so in
    manual. trust me. i'm in dell tech support in bagaloser inja. tank juo
    and have day good!

    "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all, can anyone enlighten me on the best way to care for and clean
    > Dell LCD screens. Mine has become quite dusty and I am hesitant to wipe
    > it in case I scratch it. TIA
    > ricardo
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    i have drunk alcohol in excess many times and i can attest that the lcd is
    burrier and blurrier the more i drink. spilling martinis on the keyboard
    and mice also is not a good thing. please join People Against Drunk Surfing
    (PADS) and help save a mouse and keyboard you know... buuuuurrrrppppp

    > In summary, ANY fairly serious solvent can do damage to an LCD screen or a
    > coated CRT screen. Alcohols and products with ammonia are fairly serious
    > solvents. Look what either one can do to you if drunk in excess. :)
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 21:09:39 -0500, "Craig"
    > <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
    >

    > ><William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Doesn't mention the mythical "Ammonia Prohibition" which I've been
    > >> trying to find a decent cite for.
    > >>
    > >> I'm not giving you a hard time, BTW, I'm honestly trying to find out
    > >> if Windex (for instance) is bad for LCDs and if so why. Your last
    > >> URL, from an actual manufacturer, merely prohibits Isopropyl in high
    > >> concentrations because it might remove date code and other printed
    > >> information.
    > >
    > >DELL Support information from DELL http://lnk.nu/support.dell.com/12j
    > >
    > >It's real simple if you by the Windex that has ammonia in it, it's bad
    for
    > >the LCD, in time the ammonia can discolor the screen.
    > >
    > >Craig

  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:04:15 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, William P.N.
    Smith wrote:

    >"Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
    >>http://www.planar.com/Advantages/WhitePapers/docs/an821-01.pdf
    >
    >Doesn't mention the mythical "Ammonia Prohibition" which I've been
    >trying to find a decent cite for.
    >
    >I'm not giving you a hard time, BTW, I'm honestly trying to find out
    >if Windex (for instance) is bad for LCDs and if so why. Your last
    >URL, from an actual manufacturer, merely prohibits Isopropyl in high
    >concentrations because it might remove date code and other printed
    >information.

    Well, the first time I heard about the ammonia (and other solvents) problem
    was back in my pre-Windows/Intel days: a Commodore tech support person
    mentioned people wrecking the anti-reflection coating on their CRT monitors
    because they used Windex or other cleansers with ammonia to clean them; the
    ammonia would actually dissolve the coating.

    And I know I've seen warnings to avoid cleaners with ammonia and other
    solvents in the manuals (yes, I'm one of the weirdoes who actually reads
    manuals :) ) for various monitors I've owned over the years.

    Glass is fairly resistant to a lot of chemicals, but plastics and other
    materials often aren't.

    --
    Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Craig" <124365870910nospam@nospam.naspam.net> wrote:
    >in time the ammonia can discolor the screen.

    Ah, maybe it's the "in time" thing. I probably clean my screens
    quarterly (if that), but I'll look for a non-ammonia cleaner for the
    future.

    Thanks!
  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    >On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:04:15 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, William P.N.
    >Smith wrote:
    >>Doesn't mention the mythical "Ammonia Prohibition" which I've been
    >>trying to find a decent cite for.

    In case you missed the pointer the other day, here's what Dell support
    has to say on the site at
    <http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.
    aspx/support/kb/en/document?
    c=us&cs=19&DN=1011125&l=en&opt=true&s=dhs&~mode=popup>

    <quoting>
    NOTICE: Do not use any of the following chemicals or any solutions
    that contain them: Acetone, ethyl alcohol, toluene, ethyl acid,
    ammonia, or methyl chloride. If you have a different chemical or
    solution and are not sure whether it is suitable, do not use it. Using
    any of the chemicals in the previous list may cause permanent damage
    to the LCD or flat panel screen. Some commercial window cleaners
    contain ammonia and are therefore unacceptable.
    </quoting>

    >>I'm not giving you a hard time, BTW, I'm honestly trying to find out
    >>if Windex (for instance) is bad for LCDs and if so why. Your last
    >>URL, from an actual manufacturer, merely prohibits Isopropyl in high
    >>concentrations because it might remove date code and other printed
    >>information.

    The Dell site goes on to say:
    <quoting>
    There are many cleaning solutions sold specifically as LCD cleaners.
    You can use these to clean LCD screens on Dell notebooks. Alternately,
    you may use a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol (IPA) and water mixture.
    Microfiber cloths such as those used to clean eyeglasses are excellent
    for use with LCDs.
    </quoting>

    Cheers, Phred.

    --