EXE Files that won't open !!!

Has anyone experienced this strange phenomenon. None of my control panel
icons will open. No downloaded exe files will open when prompted. No
program exe files will open from inside my programs folder. As you can
gather I am using the internet which is a bonus perhaps and my machine
will boot up but none of my Desktop shortcuts will open their
respective programmes. All my scans have removed all known adaware and
my maintenance programmes that do work assure me that my PC is virus
free. Anything I download to my Desktop will not open. I can't even use
system restore because that exe file won't open either. Help !!!! Any
suggestions glady received. Thanks
Siggy

--
siggy
1 answer Last reply

    Windows® XP File Association Fixes
    Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox

    CPL File Association Fix (Restore the default associations for CPL files)
    Control Panel

    EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)

    LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut Behavior)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:siggy.1mh3pm@pcbanter.net,
    siggy <siggy.1mh3pm@pcbanter.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Has anyone experienced this strange phenomenon. None of my control
    > panel icons will open. No downloaded exe files will open when
    > prompted. No program exe files will open from inside my programs
    > folder. As you can gather I am using the internet which is a bonus
    > perhaps and my machine will boot up but none of my Desktop shortcuts
    > will open their respective programmes. All my scans have removed all
    > known adaware and my maintenance programmes that do work assure me
    > that my PC is virus free. Anything I download to my Desktop will not
    > open. I can't even use system restore because that exe file won't
    > open either. Help !!!! Any suggestions glady received. Thanks
    > Siggy
    >

    > --
    > siggy

Windows XP