I have a work station that has take on a new trick:
when you bring up the Search Results part that works fine but as soon as you
put some thing to search for on the workstation the darn thing HANGS up .
Looking at the task manager all it says that Search Results Not Responding.
There fore not getting it to work at all. If anyone has a FIX I sure would
like to hear. Formatting is not a option.

Show the hidden files and folders Rightclick C:\Windows\Inf\srchasst.inf Click install. The required file is in ../I386 folder on
the XP CD

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Dennis WebdeZ" <Dennis@webdeZign.net> wrote in message news:0A8741C4-51D8-4306-9D69-DD06B876660F@microsoft.com...
>I have a work station that has take on a new trick:
> when you bring up the Search Results part that works fine but as soon as you
> put some thing to search for on the workstation the darn thing HANGS up .
> Looking at the task manager all it says that Search Results Not Responding.
> There fore not getting it to work at all. If anyone has a FIX I sure would
> like to hear. Formatting is not a option.

that did not work. it still hangs after you give it something to searh for..

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Show the hidden files and folders Rightclick C:\Windows\Inf\srchasst.inf Click install. The required file is in ../I386 folder on
> the XP CD
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "Dennis WebdeZ" <Dennis@webdeZign.net> wrote in message news:0A8741C4-51D8-4306-9D69-DD06B876660F@microsoft.com...
> >I have a work station that has take on a new trick:
> > when you bring up the Search Results part that works fine but as soon as you
> > put some thing to search for on the workstation the darn thing HANGS up .
> > Looking at the task manager all it says that Search Results Not Responding.
> > There fore not getting it to work at all. If anyone has a FIX I sure would
> > like to hear. Formatting is not a option.

go to start/run, and type: chkdsk C: /f

--

"Dennis WebdeZ" <Dennis@webdeZign.net> wrote in message news:DDB2B730-07D2-4D5B-B3D0-9332A3671DAC@microsoft.com...
> that did not work. it still hangs after you give it something to searh for..
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> Show the hidden files and folders Rightclick C:\Windows\Inf\srchasst.inf Click install. The required file is in ../I386 folder on
>> the XP CD
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> ..
>> "Dennis WebdeZ" <Dennis@webdeZign.net> wrote in message news:0A8741C4-51D8-4306-9D69-DD06B876660F@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a work station that has take on a new trick:
>> > when you bring up the Search Results part that works fine but as soon as you
>> > put some thing to search for on the workstation the darn thing HANGS up .
>> > Looking at the task manager all it says that Search Results Not Responding.
>> > There fore not getting it to work at all. If anyone has a FIX I sure would
>> > like to hear. Formatting is not a option.

no that did not do a thing at all..

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> go to start/run, and type: chkdsk C: /f
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "Dennis WebdeZ" <Dennis@webdeZign.net> wrote in message news:DDB2B730-07D2-4D5B-B3D0-9332A3671DAC@microsoft.com...
> > that did not work. it still hangs after you give it something to searh for..
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> Show the hidden files and folders Rightclick C:\Windows\Inf\srchasst.inf Click install. The required file is in ../I386 folder on
> >> the XP CD
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> >> ..

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--

"Dennis WebdeZ" <Dennis@webdeZign.net> wrote in message news:9C5D694C-3475-4E21-88FF-9F720140709B@microsoft.com...
> no that did not do a thing at all..
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> go to start/run, and type: chkdsk C: /f
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> ..
>> "Dennis WebdeZ" <Dennis@webdeZign.net> wrote in message news:DDB2B730-07D2-4D5B-B3D0-9332A3671DAC@microsoft.com...
>> > that did not work. it still hangs after you give it something to searh for..

No still doing the same sorry

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
> 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> ..
> "Dennis WebdeZ" <Dennis@webdeZign.net> wrote in message news:9C5D694C-3475-4E21-88FF-9F720140709B@microsoft.com...
> > no that did not do a thing at all..
> >
> > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
> >
> >> go to start/run, and type: chkdsk C: /f
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> >> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> >> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> >> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> >> ..

I would suspect some malware is installed. I suggest using the 'Advanced Tools" offered by the new MS Antispyware beta. It can
restore your browser to normal function.

Download MS anti-spyware beta :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

and read the FAQ - http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

--

"Dennis WebdeZ" <Dennis@webdeZign.net> wrote in message news:64962E07-847B-472A-B47A-AA29BF107AEA@microsoft.com...
> No still doing the same sorry
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows
>> Server
>> 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )
>>
>> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
>> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
>> marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
>> ..
>> "Dennis WebdeZ" <Dennis@webdeZign.net> wrote in message news:9C5D694C-3475-4E21-88FF-9F720140709B@microsoft.com...
>> > no that did not do a thing at all..

Here is what fixed the problem:
1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the
open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Indexing Service".

3. On the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Disabled". Then
please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

4. Click OK.

TRENDING THREADS