I managed to change a couple of GIF and JPEG files to PDD files and now am
unable to open them or figure out how to restore them to JPEG or GIF. Any
ideas?.

How did you managed to change them?

Did you use
PDD = Adobe PhotoDeluxe Image
PDD = Paint Shop Pro Bitmap graphics

If you used one of the above applications, you should be able to open the files in
the application and then save as JPG file etc.

If you simply renamed them, rename them back to what they were originally.

Perhaps a little more information on what you did may assist in further assistance
either from myself or someone else if I'm not online.