HORRIBLE D3D PERFORMANCE

CowMan

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
Ok, I've done a couple posts about this but haven't really gotten any helpful feedback yet. I've just noticed lately that whenever I run ANYTHING in Direct3D in 32-bit I get a major performance hit that never occured before. I don't know what date this changed but I know that I haven't changed my drivers or directX or anything. I'm running a Radeon 8500LE 128mb, with a Barton 2500+ and a Leadtek nForce2 mobo. I decided to check the performance on something I knew wouldn't stress my vid card too much so I started up counter-strike in 1024x768x32 in direct3D and found that my fps suffered HORRIBLY. If I was lucky, it would hit 60fps. I've always run counter-stike in OpenGl and get a contant 100fps, no matter what. It just doesn't make any sense that my system should suddenly hate direct3d and 32-bit mode. I didn't even think I'd have to run anything in D3D because OpenGl worked so well for everything else, now there aren't new games out there that even support it. A lot are even permanently set to 32 bit color, which screws me over completely.
I used to get a 10,000+ 3dmark 2K1SE score in 1024 and 32 bit mode, now I get 4,000. WTF? Also, there was only a minute change in performance when I ran it in 16 bit mode before (maybe 100marks) and now the difference is 4,000 in 32 bit and 9000 in 16 bit. It's like the performance hit from enabling 4xFSAA! I'm completely baffled on this one.

cleeve

Illustrious
Sounds like a smartgart malfunction.

Use the utility on the Ati site to remove Smartgart.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (hardmodded to PRO, o/c to 322/322)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (o/c to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
3dMark03: 4055

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
Reinstall DX9, then remove and reinstall the ATI drivers. Use the drivercleaner 2.0 from <A HREF="http://www.driverheaven.net/" target="_new">http://www.driverheaven.net/</A> and follow the directions on the site. Then give her a reinstall and go. It should work just fine after that.

----------
<b>Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebrau? </b> <i>Homer Simpson</i>

TKS

CowMan

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2003
That's the only problem, I would have updated the drivers or rolled them back if need be, but I have one of the .001% of monitors that isn't recognized by my vid card. Every time I wanted to update I'd have to use another monitor, save that setup, and FORCE my Radeon to still think I'm using the other monitor. I used to use the monitor from the other computer in the house, but now I'm in college and nobody has a monitor to spare. That and I'm too broke to buy a new monitor or vid card.

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
My monitor isn't recognized either....it doesn't seem to matter....I dunno why it would with yours. PM me if you want the screenshop of my un identified monitor

----------
<b>Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebrau? </b> <i>Homer Simpson</i>

TKS