I want to get rid of XP OEM and start fresh

Lynne

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that the 1
year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP Home
and get rid of the presinstalled version.

My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install the
upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM version
that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must purchase
the full version of XP Home.

Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can get
step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?

Thanks.

Lynne

Lynne

It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other than the
fact that you will have an official Windows CD..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
>I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that the
>1
> year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP
> and get rid of the presinstalled version.
>
> My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install the
> upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM version
> that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must
> purchase
> the full version of XP Home.
>
> Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can get
> step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lynne

Lynne

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Be that as it may, it matters to me. I don't like the idea of having to
"restore" to the original setup should something go wrong. Compaq saw fit to
include a lot of stuff that I could care less about. It took me hours to get
rid of all of it. Now, I'd like to simply start fresh with my own version,
with my own disk.

Lynne

In news:HT41e.2541$Mt5.1488@fed1read01,
Lynne <sophieaz@cox.invalid> respectfully replied ;-)
> Be that as it may, it matters to me. I don't like the idea of having
> to "restore" to the original setup should something go wrong. Compaq
> saw fit to include a lot of stuff that I could care less about. It
> took me hours to get rid of all of it. Now, I'd like to simply start
> fresh with my own version, with my own disk.
>
> Lynne

With the upgrade version you would still have to do that unless you have an
unused qualifying Windows 95/98/Me to insert during XP setup. If you do not
have qualifying media, you would need to restore from the HP restore disks,
then > clean install.
You boot from the CD and do a clean install.
Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser address bar.
How to clean install XP.
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

> "Mike Hall (MS- MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Lynne>>
>> It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other
>> than the fact that you will have an official Windows CD..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
>>> I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now
>>> that the 1
>>> year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version
>>> of XP Home
>>> and get rid of the presinstalled version.
>>>
>>> My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can
>>> install the upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the
>>> existing OEM version that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq
>>> says NO, that I must purchase
>>> the full version of XP Home.
>>>
>>> Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I
>>> can get step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade
>>> version?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Lynne

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

An OEM version is not official? Please elaborate, as I thought any legally
purchased versions of Windows are "official".

> Lynne
>
> It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other than the
> fact that you will have an official Windows CD..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
>>I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that the
>>1
>> year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP
>> and get rid of the presinstalled version.
>>
>> My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install the
>> upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM
>> version
>> that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must
>> purchase
>> the full version of XP Home.
>>
>> Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can get
>> step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Lynne

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Do you have the OEM install disk (not a recovery disk)?

"Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
> Be that as it may, it matters to me. I don't like the idea of having to
> "restore" to the original setup should something go wrong. Compaq saw fit
> include a lot of stuff that I could care less about. It took me hours to
> get
> rid of all of it. Now, I'd like to simply start fresh with my own version,
> with my own disk.
>
> Lynne
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Lynne
>>
>> It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other than the
>> fact that you will have an official Windows CD..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
>> >I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that
> the
>> >1
>> > year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP
>> > and get rid of the presinstalled version.
>> >
>> > My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install
>> > the
>> > upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM
> version
>> > that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must
>> > purchase
>> > the full version of XP Home.
>> >
>> > Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can
> get
>> > step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Lynne

An OEM recovery CD maybe?.. as opposed to an OEM CD bought with a piece of
hardware or retail version?

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> An OEM version is not official? Please elaborate, as I thought any legally
> purchased versions of Windows are "official".
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> Lynne
>>
>> It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other than the
>> fact that you will have an official Windows CD..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
>>>I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that
>>>the 1
>>> year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP
>>> and get rid of the presinstalled version.
>>>
>>> My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install the
>>> upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM
>>> version
>>> that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must
>>> purchase
>>> the full version of XP Home.
>>>
>>> Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can
>>> get
>>> step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Lynne

"Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
>I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that the
>1
> year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP
> and get rid of the presinstalled version.
>
> My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install the
> upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM version
> that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must
> purchase
> the full version of XP Home.
>
> Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can get
> step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lynne

Lynne

When installing the XP Home upgrade it looks for a qualifying product.
Upgrading from XP Home OEM to XP Home Retail is not supported. See here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292607

You could delete the partition and do a clean install, during the
installation you will be asked to insert a qualifying media into a CD drive.
At this point if you have a Windows 98/Me CD put it into the drive and the
upgrade will proceed. If the 98/Me CD was from another computer this is
against the terms of Microsoft's EULA. Whether it is illegal, immoral,
unethical etc. is the subject of much debate.

You could also try one of the procedures at the following link:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm They may not work in
this case or they may end up doing a reinstall and you will have to
reinstall all your programs.

Please note doing a clean install will erase all your data. Back up any
needed data before trying any of these suggestions.

Kerry

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

But, those are "official" versions right (as long as they come with the
certifiable documentation, e.g. COA label, etc)?

But I guess it needed to be pointed out that "qualifying" media is what she
needs.

> An OEM recovery CD maybe?.. as opposed to an OEM CD bought with a piece of
> hardware or retail version?
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>> An OEM version is not official? Please elaborate, as I thought any
>> legally purchased versions of Windows are "official".
>>

>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Lynne
>>>
>>> It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other than
>>> the fact that you will have an official Windows CD..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>>
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>

>>> "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message

Tom

It means whatever you want it to mean.. I am not in the mood to split hairs
with anybody right about now.. perhaps you might want to ask the OP directly
as to whether she understood what point I was making.. whatever makes you
happy..

--

> But, those are "official" versions right (as long as they come with the
> certifiable documentation, e.g. COA label, etc)?
>
> But I guess it needed to be pointed out that "qualifying" media is what
> she needs.
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> An OEM recovery CD maybe?.. as opposed to an OEM CD bought with a piece
>> of hardware or retail version?
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>>> An OEM version is not official? Please elaborate, as I thought any
>>> legally purchased versions of Windows are "official".
>>>

>>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

*Mike Hall MS-MVP, Hmm, gets testy, and refuses to explain what "Official"
versions mean to him*

Bottom line, whether you lack patience or not (wonder why you post here if
you possess those attributes), anything sold by MS to OEMs is "Official",
and in this context does not mean qualifying as I ask simply ask you what
"Official" was (too bad you cannot answer the question). Did I split your
last hair Mikey?

> Tom
>
> It means whatever you want it to mean.. I am not in the mood to split
> hairs with anybody right about now.. perhaps you might want to ask the OP
> directly as to whether she understood what point I was making.. whatever
> makes you happy..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>> But, those are "official" versions right (as long as they come with the
>> certifiable documentation, e.g. COA label, etc)?
>>
>> But I guess it needed to be pointed out that "qualifying" media is what
>> she needs.
>>
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> An OEM recovery CD maybe?.. as opposed to an OEM CD bought with a piece
>>> of hardware or retail version?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>>
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>

>>> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

Tom

If I didn't have patience, your name and ID would be in a message rule.. I
know that you consider yourself smart by questioning almost everything that
I or other MVPs say, but I consider behaviour like yours to be 'compulsive',
as probably will many other people..

And no, I am not going to explain anything to you just so that your ego can
take a boost.. if you are happy for the world and his dog to see you as a
'nitpicking' troll, then you are doing an excellent job..

For the record, you don't get me down at all.. your posts amuse me.. keep up
the good work.. as long as you keep making yourself look bad, the rest of us
can bask in your wake..

--

"Lynne" wrote:
> (snip) My question, posed to Compaq tech support,
> was whether I can install the upgrade, not full,
> retail version of XP Home over the existing
> OEM version that came preinstalled on the
> computer. Compaq says NO, that I must purchase
> the full version of XP Home.
>
> Is this correct? (snip)

Very likely. The OEM version, preinstalled on computers by Compaq and most
other manufacturers, was purchased at a huge volume discount with some
limits built in. One of those limits is that it is not a full commercial
version that can be upgraded to newer operating systems (such as Win98 to
XP) using upgrade disks. Instead, those wanting to upgrade to new operating
systems must do so at their own expense by purchasing the full commercial
version of the newer operating system. With that in mind, I wonder why you
would want to do this anyway (install XP Home over the OEM version of XP
Home you already have). I just don't see any significant benefit from doing
so.

Stewart

Lynne

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

No, all I have is a partition on my hard drive that contains the OEM
installation. I have no disk other than the recovery disks I made when I
first set the system up.

> Do you have the OEM install disk (not a recovery disk)?
>
> "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
> > Be that as it may, it matters to me. I don't like the idea of having to
> > "restore" to the original setup should something go wrong. Compaq saw
fit
> > include a lot of stuff that I could care less about. It took me hours to
> > get
> > rid of all of it. Now, I'd like to simply start fresh with my own
version,
> > with my own disk.
> >
> > Lynne
> >
> > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> >> Lynne
> >>
> >> It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other than
the
> >> fact that you will have an official Windows CD..
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mike Hall
> >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
> >>
> >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >>

> >> "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
> > the
XP

> > version

> > get

Lynne

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

I failed to include several pieces of information in my original post.
Compaq gave me a flat no, that I have to purchase the full retail version of
XP home, that the upgrade retail version won't work, that it is not possible
to install the upgrade version, which makes no sense to me. Before I called
and spoke to Compaq, my game plan was to format my C drive (the one that has
OEM XP home on it), pop in the XP home (upgrade version) disk, insert the
Win9x cd when prompted for proof of ownership of a prior version of Windows.
But Compaq told me "no way, no how" so I posted to this group. I have legit,
no longer used copies of Windows 95 and 98. To an earlier responder to my
original post: no, I do not have an OEM XP disk - XP is preinstalled on a
separate partition on my hard drive. That's what I would have to restore
from should something happen. As to someone's post asking why I didn't buy a
copy of XP Pro, I've already purchased WinXP home ed., upgrade, retail
version - I got it two weeks ago at Best Buy - it will cost me $39.99 after
the rebate. I thought that was a pretty good deal. It looks like the post
from Kerry Brown has the information I was looking for - verifying that I
can format and do an clean installation from that point. That's what I was
trying to find out. Again, it just didn't make sense that Compaq would tell
me that there is no way I can install an upgrade version. Compaq made no
mention of formatting, having a prior version, etc. Their response led me to
post here, for verification, one way or the other on how to do what I want
to do. Thanks so much. Lynne

> I failed to include several pieces of information in my original post.
> Compaq gave me a flat no, that I have to purchase the full retail version
> of
> XP home, that the upgrade retail version won't work, that it is not
> possible
> to install the upgrade version, which makes no sense to me. Before I
> called
> and spoke to Compaq, my game plan was to format my C drive (the one that
> has
> OEM XP home on it), pop in the XP home (upgrade version) disk, insert the
> Win9x cd when prompted for proof of ownership of a prior version of
> Windows.
> But Compaq told me "no way, no how" so I posted to this group. I have
> legit,
> no longer used copies of Windows 95 and 98. To an earlier responder to my
> original post: no, I do not have an OEM XP disk - XP is preinstalled on a
> separate partition on my hard drive. That's what I would have to restore
> from should something happen. As to someone's post asking why I didn't buy
> copy of XP Pro, I've already purchased WinXP home ed., upgrade, retail
> version - I got it two weeks ago at Best Buy - it will cost me $39.99
> after
> the rebate. I thought that was a pretty good deal. It looks like the post
> from Kerry Brown has the information I was looking for - verifying that I
> can format and do an clean installation from that point. That's what I was
> trying to find out. Again, it just didn't make sense that Compaq would
> tell
> me that there is no way I can install an upgrade version. Compaq made no
> mention of formatting, having a prior version, etc. Their response led me
> post here, for verification, one way or the other on how to do what I want
> to do. Thanks so much. Lynne

One of my friend's daughters used to work at a call centre that did Compaq
support. They have a binder with answers to questions. They are not allowed
to deviate from the scripts they are given. If your question doesn't fit any
of the pre-existing scenarios they are told to say no, you must run the
system restore to solve your problem. Their overriding concern was how long
the support person was on the phone. Solving the problem didn't enter into
the equation.

Kerry

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Lynne wrote:

> I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that the 1
> year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP Home
> and get rid of the presinstalled version.
>
> My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install the
> upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM version
> that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must purchase
> the full version of XP Home.
>
> Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can get
> step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lynne

You need an actual MS OS CD as qualifying media to install an upgrade
version of XP. Compaq's hard drive partition (or restore CD) won't do.
If you could talk Compaq into an OEM copy that would qualify but obviate
the need of an upgrade so don't hold your breath. You could look into a
discounted generic OEM XP CD purchased along with a case screw, mouse
pad or tube of heat sink goo. Or if you have a legit W98, W2K or NT4 CD
you could slick the drive and install that first then upgrade with XP.
In the end its business as usual: Caveat emptor.

John

Lynne

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

I wondered why he just kept repeating himself, rather than actually
responding to my question. This was online, with both of us typing, so it
got a little redundant. I kept asking and he kept giving me the same answer.
When I told him I doubted I was the only person on the planet that wanted
to do this, I got a "I've given you the correct answer, deal with it" type
of response. Now, I'm mulling over the wisdom of buying a brand new hard
drive (as a 2nd drive - set as the master) and starting from that point,
keeping my current drive (with everything I've accumulated for the past year
intact) as a 2nd drive. I think I read somewhere that I can transfer old
files and settings from old drive to new during the installation. I'll do
some more research. Anyone have any advice on trying this avenue or am I
making a simple process even more complicated? Lynne

>I wondered why he just kept repeating himself, rather than actually
> responding to my question. This was online, with both of us typing, so it
> got a little redundant. I kept asking and he kept giving me the same
> answer.
> When I told him I doubted I was the only person on the planet that wanted
> to do this, I got a "I've given you the correct answer, deal with it" type
> of response. Now, I'm mulling over the wisdom of buying a brand new hard
> drive (as a 2nd drive - set as the master) and starting from that point,
> keeping my current drive (with everything I've accumulated for the past
> year
> intact) as a 2nd drive. I think I read somewhere that I can transfer old
> files and settings from old drive to new during the installation. I'll do
> some more research. Anyone have any advice on trying this avenue or am I
> making a simple process even more complicated? Lynne

Having a second drive can be a nice option. You can store backups on the
second drive. Before going any further, have you made backup CD/DVD's of the
restore partition? I would do this before proceeding. Then in the worst case
scenario or if you want to sell the computer in the future you can restore
it to the factory settings. Once you have a verified CD/DVD backup make a
second copy. Then you can delete the restore partition and do whatever you
want regarding hard drives, partitioning etc.

You can transfer some program settings and all of your data files to a new
install from a second hard drive. In most cases you can't transfer the
actual programs. They will need to be reinstalled. If you use any of the
original Compaq supplied programs this isn't possible without restoring the
whole setup. It's a catch-22 with most brand name PC's. It is possible using
the installation software supplied with some hard drives or programs like
Norton Ghost to make a clone of your old hard drive to the new one and
proceed from there. You would still run into the original upgrade problem of
OEM to Retail possibly not working unless you format and do a clean install.
At least you would still have your original setup on the old drive if
needed. You may also have to disconnect the old drive while doing the
install. Windows will see the OEM XP on the second drive and may not allow
install. You would also have to take ownership of the files on the second
drive after doing a clean install. The procedure is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

Kerry

Why look for Windows XP Home Edition when you could buy the
Professional version cheaper? I bought the Windows XP Professional SP1
bundled together with the Microsoft Office XP Professional SP2 for only
$90. I cannot remember the site that I bought it from, but you can find
lots of sites by typing "OEM Software" in your browser (include the quotes).

However, it appears that what you really want is a good backup program.
I never liked the "Recovery Solutions" CDs myself. I would recommend
the Acronis True Image Backup program. It captures your drive as it is when
you make your backup sector-by-sector and when you do a restore, it
completely destroys your drive and then restores it to where it was when you
made the backup. The drawback is that if you have made any important
changes since then, you will lose it, so the best thing to do is to make
sure to
keep your backups current.

"Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
> Be that as it may, it matters to me. I don't like the idea of having to
> "restore" to the original setup should something go wrong. Compaq saw fit
> include a lot of stuff that I could care less about. It took me hours to
get
> rid of all of it. Now, I'd like to simply start fresh with my own version,
> with my own disk.
>
> Lynne
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Lynne
> >
> > It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other than
the
> > fact that you will have an official Windows CD..
> >
> > --
> > Mike Hall
> > MVP - Windows Shell/user
> >
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
> > >I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that
> the
> > >1
> > > year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of
XP
> > > and get rid of the presinstalled version.
> > >
> > > My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install
the
> > > upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM
> version
> > > that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must
> > > purchase
> > > the full version of XP Home.
> > >
> > > Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can
> get
> > > step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Lynne

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Michael Stevens has it right for you in what to do in your situation.

> No, all I have is a partition on my hard drive that contains the OEM
> installation. I have no disk other than the recovery disks I made when I
> first set the system up.
>
> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>> Do you have the OEM install disk (not a recovery disk)?
>>
>> "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
>> > Be that as it may, it matters to me. I don't like the idea of having to
>> > "restore" to the original setup should something go wrong. Compaq saw
> fit
>> > include a lot of stuff that I could care less about. It took me hours
>> > get
>> > rid of all of it. Now, I'd like to simply start fresh with my own
> version,
>> > with my own disk.
>> >
>> > Lynne
>> >
>> > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> the

>> > the
> XP

>> > version

>> > get

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I personally do not care if you had me in your message filters, killfiles
are people who typically avoid seeing their words pointed out to them when
they are wrong or inconclusive with their words (as MPT does to so many,
when they point out to her, as she violates her own rules). I simply asked
you a question, if you don't want to explain it, that is perfectly fine and
I don't care; it shows your willingness to explain what this means to you as
you get festered over it, as well as shows your level of an MVP, IMHO.

Anyway, my second reponse was a legitmnate question, which was:

You then get testy with the "I'm not in the mood for splitting hairs"
thingie, LOL. Maybe you should give it up for a time, or take some strong
muscle relaxers before doing newsgroup readings and replies.

Note, my original questions were not nasty, nor were they posted to get a
rise, I would have asked any other the very same thing, had they posted in
the same manner.

> Tom
>
> If I didn't have patience, your name and ID would be in a message rule.. I
> know that you consider yourself smart by questioning almost everything
> that I or other MVPs say, but I consider behaviour like yours to be
> 'compulsive', as probably will many other people..
>
> And no, I am not going to explain anything to you just so that your ego
> can take a boost.. if you are happy for the world and his dog to see you
> as a 'nitpicking' troll, then you are doing an excellent job..
>
> For the record, you don't get me down at all.. your posts amuse me.. keep
> up the good work.. as long as you keep making yourself look bad, the rest
> of us can bask in your wake..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>> *Mike Hall MS-MVP, Hmm, gets testy, and refuses to explain what
>> "Official" versions mean to him*
>>
>> Bottom line, whether you lack patience or not (wonder why you post here
>> if you possess those attributes), anything sold by MS to OEMs is
>> "Official", and in this context does not mean qualifying as I ask simply
>> ask you what "Official" was (too bad you cannot answer the question). Did
>> I split your last hair Mikey?
>>
>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> Tom
>>>
>>> It means whatever you want it to mean.. I am not in the mood to split
>>> hairs with anybody right about now.. perhaps you might want to ask the
>>> OP directly as to whether she understood what point I was making..
>>> whatever makes you happy..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>>
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>

>>> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

Lynne

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Yes, I made the restore/recovery disks that Compaq setup suggested. I guess
that is the same thing as a backup of the restore partition. I didn't make a
backup set, which is an excellent idea. I do have another question regarding
transfering data files if I go the 2nd hard drive route (I have 2 on my
other computer and it's a nice option). I use Outlook Express - will my
e-mails transfer as well from old to new? OE would be installed w/IE, so,
the program would be available in the new setup. I have Norton SystemWorks
Premier (or whatever they call it - it has a full version of Ghost) - I'll
read up on it, too. I agree, it would transfer all of the content intact,
but the OEM OS would be a part of the process. I don't mind doing fresh
installs of the other programs and hardware drivers, but I'm not crazy about
the tweaking and customizing of Windows itself. But, I'll gladly do it so I
can have my own version of XP rather than having to settle for what Compaq
thinks I need. This computer is the first one I've ever bought from a
retailer. It was too good a deal to pass up. We've always had ours custom
built and then upgraded as we saw fit. This has been a whole new experience
for me. I've been really happy with it and it's running great. I've just got
this "bug" to get finally make it my own now that the warranty is up. I'll
be installing a new video card as well. I play a lot of computer games
(adventure, not action) and higher quality graphics is important. Again,
thank you. I appreciate your input - Lynne

> Yes, I made the restore/recovery disks that Compaq setup suggested. I
> guess
> that is the same thing as a backup of the restore partition. I didn't make
> backup set, which is an excellent idea. I do have another question
> regarding
> transfering data files if I go the 2nd hard drive route (I have 2 on my
> other computer and it's a nice option). I use Outlook Express - will my
> e-mails transfer as well from old to new? OE would be installed w/IE, so,
> the program would be available in the new setup. I have Norton SystemWorks
> Premier (or whatever they call it - it has a full version of Ghost) - I'll
> read up on it, too. I agree, it would transfer all of the content intact,
> but the OEM OS would be a part of the process. I don't mind doing fresh
> installs of the other programs and hardware drivers, but I'm not crazy
> about
> the tweaking and customizing of Windows itself. But, I'll gladly do it so
> can have my own version of XP rather than having to settle for what Compaq
> thinks I need. This computer is the first one I've ever bought from a
> retailer. It was too good a deal to pass up. We've always had ours custom
> built and then upgraded as we saw fit. This has been a whole new
> experience
> for me. I've been really happy with it and it's running great. I've just
> got
> this "bug" to get finally make it my own now that the warranty is up. I'll
> be installing a new video card as well. I play a lot of computer games
> (adventure, not action) and higher quality graphics is important. Again,
> thank you. I appreciate your input - Lynne

To import/export emails in Outlook Express

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257173

From everything you've said so far I think the best option is to do a clean
install on a new drive keeping your old drive intact. Copy over whatever
data you need once the install is done. Keep the old drive as is for a few
weeks to make sure you're not missing anything. Once you are sure you have
everything you need format the old drive and use it for something else.

Kerry

Lynne

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

I agree - that's what I did with my other computer - clean installation on
the new disk, then reinstalled, etc. as I went along. I think I kept the old
disk contents intact for a good month or so. Now, I use it for backup. I'd
forgotten that this was what I'd done. Thanks for reminding me. Lynne