I want to get rid of XP OEM and start fresh

I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that the 1
year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP Home
and get rid of the presinstalled version.

My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install the
upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM version
that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must purchase
the full version of XP Home.

Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can get
step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?

Thanks.

Lynne
32 answers Last reply
More about start fresh

    Lynne

    It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other than the
    fact that you will have an official Windows CD..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    >I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that the
    >1
    > year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP
    > and get rid of the presinstalled version.
    >
    > My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install the
    > upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM version
    > that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must
    > purchase
    > the full version of XP Home.
    >
    > Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can get
    > step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Lynne

    Be that as it may, it matters to me. I don't like the idea of having to
    "restore" to the original setup should something go wrong. Compaq saw fit to
    include a lot of stuff that I could care less about. It took me hours to get
    rid of all of it. Now, I'd like to simply start fresh with my own version,
    with my own disk.

    Lynne

    In news:HT41e.2541$Mt5.1488@fed1read01,
    Lynne <sophieaz@cox.invalid> respectfully replied ;-)
    > Be that as it may, it matters to me. I don't like the idea of having
    > to "restore" to the original setup should something go wrong. Compaq
    > saw fit to include a lot of stuff that I could care less about. It
    > took me hours to get rid of all of it. Now, I'd like to simply start
    > fresh with my own version, with my own disk.
    >
    > Lynne

    With the upgrade version you would still have to do that unless you have an
    unused qualifying Windows 95/98/Me to insert during XP setup. If you do not
    have qualifying media, you would need to restore from the HP restore disks,
    then > clean install.
    You boot from the CD and do a clean install.
    Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser address bar.
    How to clean install XP.
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com

    > "Mike Hall (MS- MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Lynne>>
    >> It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other
    >> than the fact that you will have an official Windows CD..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now
    >>> that the 1
    >>> year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version
    >>> of XP Home
    >>> and get rid of the presinstalled version.
    >>>
    >>> My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can
    >>> install the upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the
    >>> existing OEM version that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq
    >>> says NO, that I must purchase
    >>> the full version of XP Home.
    >>>
    >>> Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I
    >>> can get step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade
    >>> version?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Lynne

    An OEM version is not official? Please elaborate, as I thought any legally
    purchased versions of Windows are "official".

    > Lynne
    >
    > It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other than the
    > fact that you will have an official Windows CD..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    >>I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that the
    >>1
    >> year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP
    >> and get rid of the presinstalled version.
    >>
    >> My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install the
    >> upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM
    >> version
    >> that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must
    >> purchase
    >> the full version of XP Home.
    >>
    >> Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can get
    >> step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Lynne

    Do you have the OEM install disk (not a recovery disk)?

    "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    > Be that as it may, it matters to me. I don't like the idea of having to
    > "restore" to the original setup should something go wrong. Compaq saw fit
    > include a lot of stuff that I could care less about. It took me hours to
    > get
    > rid of all of it. Now, I'd like to simply start fresh with my own version,
    > with my own disk.
    >
    > Lynne
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Lynne
    >>
    >> It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other than the
    >> fact that you will have an official Windows CD..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    >> >I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that
    > the
    >> >1
    >> > year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP
    >> > and get rid of the presinstalled version.
    >> >
    >> > My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install
    >> > the
    >> > upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM
    > version
    >> > that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must
    >> > purchase
    >> > the full version of XP Home.
    >> >
    >> > Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can
    > get
    >> > step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> >
    >> > Lynne

    An OEM recovery CD maybe?.. as opposed to an OEM CD bought with a piece of
    hardware or retail version?

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > An OEM version is not official? Please elaborate, as I thought any legally
    > purchased versions of Windows are "official".
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Lynne
    >>
    >> It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other than the
    >> fact that you will have an official Windows CD..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    >>>I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that
    >>>the 1
    >>> year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP
    >>> and get rid of the presinstalled version.
    >>>
    >>> My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install the
    >>> upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM
    >>> version
    >>> that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must
    >>> purchase
    >>> the full version of XP Home.
    >>>
    >>> Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can
    >>> get
    >>> step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Lynne

    "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    >I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that the
    >1
    > year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP
    > and get rid of the presinstalled version.
    >
    > My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install the
    > upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM version
    > that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must
    > purchase
    > the full version of XP Home.
    >
    > Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can get
    > step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Lynne

    Lynne

    When installing the XP Home upgrade it looks for a qualifying product.
    Upgrading from XP Home OEM to XP Home Retail is not supported. See here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292607

    You could delete the partition and do a clean install, during the
    installation you will be asked to insert a qualifying media into a CD drive.
    At this point if you have a Windows 98/Me CD put it into the drive and the
    upgrade will proceed. If the 98/Me CD was from another computer this is
    against the terms of Microsoft's EULA. Whether it is illegal, immoral,
    unethical etc. is the subject of much debate.

    You could also try one of the procedures at the following link:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm They may not work in
    this case or they may end up doing a reinstall and you will have to
    reinstall all your programs.

    Please note doing a clean install will erase all your data. Back up any
    needed data before trying any of these suggestions.

    Kerry

    But, those are "official" versions right (as long as they come with the
    certifiable documentation, e.g. COA label, etc)?

    But I guess it needed to be pointed out that "qualifying" media is what she
    needs.

    > An OEM recovery CD maybe?.. as opposed to an OEM CD bought with a piece of
    > hardware or retail version?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >> An OEM version is not official? Please elaborate, as I thought any
    >> legally purchased versions of Windows are "official".
    >>

    >> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>> Lynne
    >>>
    >>> It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other than
    >>> the fact that you will have an official Windows CD..
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Hall
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>>
    >>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message

    Tom

    It means whatever you want it to mean.. I am not in the mood to split hairs
    with anybody right about now.. perhaps you might want to ask the OP directly
    as to whether she understood what point I was making.. whatever makes you
    happy..

    --

    > But, those are "official" versions right (as long as they come with the
    > certifiable documentation, e.g. COA label, etc)?
    >
    > But I guess it needed to be pointed out that "qualifying" media is what
    > she needs.
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> An OEM recovery CD maybe?.. as opposed to an OEM CD bought with a piece
    >> of hardware or retail version?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >>> An OEM version is not official? Please elaborate, as I thought any
    >>> legally purchased versions of Windows are "official".
    >>>

    >>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    *Mike Hall MS-MVP, Hmm, gets testy, and refuses to explain what "Official"
    versions mean to him*

    Bottom line, whether you lack patience or not (wonder why you post here if
    you possess those attributes), anything sold by MS to OEMs is "Official",
    and in this context does not mean qualifying as I ask simply ask you what
    "Official" was (too bad you cannot answer the question). Did I split your
    last hair Mikey?

    > Tom
    >
    > It means whatever you want it to mean.. I am not in the mood to split
    > hairs with anybody right about now.. perhaps you might want to ask the OP
    > directly as to whether she understood what point I was making.. whatever
    > makes you happy..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >> But, those are "official" versions right (as long as they come with the
    >> certifiable documentation, e.g. COA label, etc)?
    >>
    >> But I guess it needed to be pointed out that "qualifying" media is what
    >> she needs.
    >>
    >> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>> An OEM recovery CD maybe?.. as opposed to an OEM CD bought with a piece
    >>> of hardware or retail version?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Hall
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>>
    >>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

    Tom

    If I didn't have patience, your name and ID would be in a message rule.. I
    know that you consider yourself smart by questioning almost everything that
    I or other MVPs say, but I consider behaviour like yours to be 'compulsive',
    as probably will many other people..

    And no, I am not going to explain anything to you just so that your ego can
    take a boost.. if you are happy for the world and his dog to see you as a
    'nitpicking' troll, then you are doing an excellent job..

    For the record, you don't get me down at all.. your posts amuse me.. keep up
    the good work.. as long as you keep making yourself look bad, the rest of us
    can bask in your wake..

    --

    > *Mike Hall MS-MVP, Hmm, gets testy, and refuses to explain what "Official"
    > versions mean to him*
    >
    > Bottom line, whether you lack patience or not (wonder why you post here if
    > you possess those attributes), anything sold by MS to OEMs is "Official",
    > and in this context does not mean qualifying as I ask simply ask you what
    > "Official" was (too bad you cannot answer the question). Did I split your
    > last hair Mikey?
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Tom
    >>
    >> It means whatever you want it to mean.. I am not in the mood to split
    >> hairs with anybody right about now.. perhaps you might want to ask the OP
    >> directly as to whether she understood what point I was making.. whatever
    >> makes you happy..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >>> But, those are "official" versions right (as long as they come with the
    >>> certifiable documentation, e.g. COA label, etc)?
    >>>
    >>> But I guess it needed to be pointed out that "qualifying" media is what
    >>> she needs.
    >>>
    >>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Lynne" wrote:
    > (snip) My question, posed to Compaq tech support,
    > was whether I can install the upgrade, not full,
    > retail version of XP Home over the existing
    > OEM version that came preinstalled on the
    > computer. Compaq says NO, that I must purchase
    > the full version of XP Home.
    >
    > Is this correct? (snip)

    Very likely. The OEM version, preinstalled on computers by Compaq and most
    other manufacturers, was purchased at a huge volume discount with some
    limits built in. One of those limits is that it is not a full commercial
    version that can be upgraded to newer operating systems (such as Win98 to
    XP) using upgrade disks. Instead, those wanting to upgrade to new operating
    systems must do so at their own expense by purchasing the full commercial
    version of the newer operating system. With that in mind, I wonder why you
    would want to do this anyway (install XP Home over the OEM version of XP
    Home you already have). I just don't see any significant benefit from doing
    so.

    Stewart
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    No, all I have is a partition on my hard drive that contains the OEM
    installation. I have no disk other than the recovery disks I made when I
    first set the system up.

    > Do you have the OEM install disk (not a recovery disk)?
    >
    > "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Be that as it may, it matters to me. I don't like the idea of having to
    > > "restore" to the original setup should something go wrong. Compaq saw
    fit
    > > include a lot of stuff that I could care less about. It took me hours to
    > > get
    > > rid of all of it. Now, I'd like to simply start fresh with my own
    version,
    > > with my own disk.
    > >
    > > Lynne
    > >
    > > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > >> Lynne
    > >>
    > >> It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other than
    the
    > >> fact that you will have an official Windows CD..
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Mike Hall
    > >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    > >>
    > >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >>

    > >> "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    > > the
    XP

    > > version

    > > get

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I failed to include several pieces of information in my original post.
    Compaq gave me a flat no, that I have to purchase the full retail version of
    XP home, that the upgrade retail version won't work, that it is not possible
    to install the upgrade version, which makes no sense to me. Before I called
    and spoke to Compaq, my game plan was to format my C drive (the one that has
    OEM XP home on it), pop in the XP home (upgrade version) disk, insert the
    Win9x cd when prompted for proof of ownership of a prior version of Windows.
    But Compaq told me "no way, no how" so I posted to this group. I have legit,
    no longer used copies of Windows 95 and 98. To an earlier responder to my
    original post: no, I do not have an OEM XP disk - XP is preinstalled on a
    separate partition on my hard drive. That's what I would have to restore
    from should something happen. As to someone's post asking why I didn't buy a
    copy of XP Pro, I've already purchased WinXP home ed., upgrade, retail
    version - I got it two weeks ago at Best Buy - it will cost me $39.99 after
    the rebate. I thought that was a pretty good deal. It looks like the post
    from Kerry Brown has the information I was looking for - verifying that I
    can format and do an clean installation from that point. That's what I was
    trying to find out. Again, it just didn't make sense that Compaq would tell
    me that there is no way I can install an upgrade version. Compaq made no
    mention of formatting, having a prior version, etc. Their response led me to
    post here, for verification, one way or the other on how to do what I want
    to do. Thanks so much. Lynne

    "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
    > "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    > >I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that
    the
    > >1
    > > year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP
    > > and get rid of the presinstalled version.
    > >
    > > My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install the
    > > upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM
    version
    > > that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must
    > > purchase
    > > the full version of XP Home.
    > >
    > > Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can
    get
    > > step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Lynne
    > >

    > Lynne
    >
    > When installing the XP Home upgrade it looks for a qualifying product.
    > Upgrading from XP Home OEM to XP Home Retail is not supported. See here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292607
    >
    > You could delete the partition and do a clean install, during the
    > installation you will be asked to insert a qualifying media into a CD
    drive.
    > At this point if you have a Windows 98/Me CD put it into the drive and the
    > upgrade will proceed. If the 98/Me CD was from another computer this is
    > against the terms of Microsoft's EULA. Whether it is illegal, immoral,
    > unethical etc. is the subject of much debate.
    >
    > You could also try one of the procedures at the following link:
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm They may not work in
    > this case or they may end up doing a reinstall and you will have to
    > reinstall all your programs.
    >
    > Please note doing a clean install will erase all your data. Back up any
    > needed data before trying any of these suggestions.
    >
    > Kerry

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > I failed to include several pieces of information in my original post.
    > Compaq gave me a flat no, that I have to purchase the full retail version
    > of
    > XP home, that the upgrade retail version won't work, that it is not
    > possible
    > to install the upgrade version, which makes no sense to me. Before I
    > called
    > and spoke to Compaq, my game plan was to format my C drive (the one that
    > has
    > OEM XP home on it), pop in the XP home (upgrade version) disk, insert the
    > Win9x cd when prompted for proof of ownership of a prior version of
    > Windows.
    > But Compaq told me "no way, no how" so I posted to this group. I have
    > legit,
    > no longer used copies of Windows 95 and 98. To an earlier responder to my
    > original post: no, I do not have an OEM XP disk - XP is preinstalled on a
    > separate partition on my hard drive. That's what I would have to restore
    > from should something happen. As to someone's post asking why I didn't buy
    > copy of XP Pro, I've already purchased WinXP home ed., upgrade, retail
    > version - I got it two weeks ago at Best Buy - it will cost me $39.99
    > after
    > the rebate. I thought that was a pretty good deal. It looks like the post
    > from Kerry Brown has the information I was looking for - verifying that I
    > can format and do an clean installation from that point. That's what I was
    > trying to find out. Again, it just didn't make sense that Compaq would
    > tell
    > me that there is no way I can install an upgrade version. Compaq made no
    > mention of formatting, having a prior version, etc. Their response led me
    > post here, for verification, one way or the other on how to do what I want
    > to do. Thanks so much. Lynne

    One of my friend's daughters used to work at a call centre that did Compaq
    support. They have a binder with answers to questions. They are not allowed
    to deviate from the scripts they are given. If your question doesn't fit any
    of the pre-existing scenarios they are told to say no, you must run the
    system restore to solve your problem. Their overriding concern was how long
    the support person was on the phone. Solving the problem didn't enter into
    the equation.

    Kerry
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Lynne wrote:

    > I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that the 1
    > year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of XP Home
    > and get rid of the presinstalled version.
    >
    > My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install the
    > upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM version
    > that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must purchase
    > the full version of XP Home.
    >
    > Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can get
    > step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Lynne

    You need an actual MS OS CD as qualifying media to install an upgrade
    version of XP. Compaq's hard drive partition (or restore CD) won't do.
    If you could talk Compaq into an OEM copy that would qualify but obviate
    the need of an upgrade so don't hold your breath. You could look into a
    discounted generic OEM XP CD purchased along with a case screw, mouse
    pad or tube of heat sink goo. Or if you have a legit W98, W2K or NT4 CD
    you could slick the drive and install that first then upgrade with XP.
    In the end its business as usual: Caveat emptor.

    John
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I wondered why he just kept repeating himself, rather than actually
    responding to my question. This was online, with both of us typing, so it
    got a little redundant. I kept asking and he kept giving me the same answer.
    When I told him I doubted I was the only person on the planet that wanted
    to do this, I got a "I've given you the correct answer, deal with it" type
    of response. Now, I'm mulling over the wisdom of buying a brand new hard
    drive (as a 2nd drive - set as the master) and starting from that point,
    keeping my current drive (with everything I've accumulated for the past year
    intact) as a 2nd drive. I think I read somewhere that I can transfer old
    files and settings from old drive to new during the installation. I'll do
    some more research. Anyone have any advice on trying this avenue or am I
    making a simple process even more complicated? Lynne

    > "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    > > I failed to include several pieces of information in my original post.
    > > Compaq gave me a flat no, that I have to purchase the full retail
    version
    > > of
    > > XP home, that the upgrade retail version won't work, that it is not
    > > possible
    > > to install the upgrade version, which makes no sense to me. Before I
    > > called
    > > and spoke to Compaq, my game plan was to format my C drive (the one that
    > > has
    > > OEM XP home on it), pop in the XP home (upgrade version) disk, insert
    the
    > > Win9x cd when prompted for proof of ownership of a prior version of
    > > Windows.
    > > But Compaq told me "no way, no how" so I posted to this group. I have
    > > legit,
    > > no longer used copies of Windows 95 and 98. To an earlier responder to
    my
    > > original post: no, I do not have an OEM XP disk - XP is preinstalled on
    > > separate partition on my hard drive. That's what I would have to restore
    > > from should something happen. As to someone's post asking why I didn't
    buy
    > > copy of XP Pro, I've already purchased WinXP home ed., upgrade, retail
    > > version - I got it two weeks ago at Best Buy - it will cost me $39.99
    > > after
    > > the rebate. I thought that was a pretty good deal. It looks like the
    post
    > > from Kerry Brown has the information I was looking for - verifying that
    > > can format and do an clean installation from that point. That's what I
    was
    > > trying to find out. Again, it just didn't make sense that Compaq would
    > > tell
    > > me that there is no way I can install an upgrade version. Compaq made no
    > > mention of formatting, having a prior version, etc. Their response led
    me
    > > post here, for verification, one way or the other on how to do what I
    want
    > > to do. Thanks so much. Lynne
    > >

    > One of my friend's daughters used to work at a call centre that did Compaq
    > support. They have a binder with answers to questions. They are not
    allowed
    > to deviate from the scripts they are given. If your question doesn't fit
    any
    > of the pre-existing scenarios they are told to say no, you must run the
    > system restore to solve your problem. Their overriding concern was how
    long
    > the support person was on the phone. Solving the problem didn't enter into
    > the equation.
    >
    > Kerry

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    >I wondered why he just kept repeating himself, rather than actually
    > responding to my question. This was online, with both of us typing, so it
    > got a little redundant. I kept asking and he kept giving me the same
    > answer.
    > When I told him I doubted I was the only person on the planet that wanted
    > to do this, I got a "I've given you the correct answer, deal with it" type
    > of response. Now, I'm mulling over the wisdom of buying a brand new hard
    > drive (as a 2nd drive - set as the master) and starting from that point,
    > keeping my current drive (with everything I've accumulated for the past
    > year
    > intact) as a 2nd drive. I think I read somewhere that I can transfer old
    > files and settings from old drive to new during the installation. I'll do
    > some more research. Anyone have any advice on trying this avenue or am I
    > making a simple process even more complicated? Lynne

    Having a second drive can be a nice option. You can store backups on the
    second drive. Before going any further, have you made backup CD/DVD's of the
    restore partition? I would do this before proceeding. Then in the worst case
    scenario or if you want to sell the computer in the future you can restore
    it to the factory settings. Once you have a verified CD/DVD backup make a
    second copy. Then you can delete the restore partition and do whatever you
    want regarding hard drives, partitioning etc.

    You can transfer some program settings and all of your data files to a new
    install from a second hard drive. In most cases you can't transfer the
    actual programs. They will need to be reinstalled. If you use any of the
    original Compaq supplied programs this isn't possible without restoring the
    whole setup. It's a catch-22 with most brand name PC's. It is possible using
    the installation software supplied with some hard drives or programs like
    Norton Ghost to make a clone of your old hard drive to the new one and
    proceed from there. You would still run into the original upgrade problem of
    OEM to Retail possibly not working unless you format and do a clean install.
    At least you would still have your original setup on the old drive if
    needed. You may also have to disconnect the old drive while doing the
    install. Windows will see the OEM XP on the second drive and may not allow
    install. You would also have to take ownership of the files on the second
    drive after doing a clean install. The procedure is here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    Kerry
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Why look for Windows XP Home Edition when you could buy the
    Professional version cheaper? I bought the Windows XP Professional SP1
    bundled together with the Microsoft Office XP Professional SP2 for only
    $90. I cannot remember the site that I bought it from, but you can find
    lots of sites by typing "OEM Software" in your browser (include the quotes).

    However, it appears that what you really want is a good backup program.
    I never liked the "Recovery Solutions" CDs myself. I would recommend
    the Acronis True Image Backup program. It captures your drive as it is when
    you make your backup sector-by-sector and when you do a restore, it
    completely destroys your drive and then restores it to where it was when you
    made the backup. The drawback is that if you have made any important
    changes since then, you will lose it, so the best thing to do is to make
    sure to
    keep your backups current.

    "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    > Be that as it may, it matters to me. I don't like the idea of having to
    > "restore" to the original setup should something go wrong. Compaq saw fit
    > include a lot of stuff that I could care less about. It took me hours to
    get
    > rid of all of it. Now, I'd like to simply start fresh with my own version,
    > with my own disk.
    >
    > Lynne
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > Lynne
    > >
    > > It is not easy to see what you hope to gain by doing this, other than
    the
    > > fact that you will have an official Windows CD..
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mike Hall
    > > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    > >
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    > > >I have a Compaq Presario, with Win XP home, OEM preinstalled. Now that
    > the
    > > >1
    > > > year warranty is finally up, I want to install the retail version of
    XP
    > > > and get rid of the presinstalled version.
    > > >
    > > > My question, posed to Compaq tech support, was whether I can install
    the
    > > > upgrade, not full, retail version of XP Home over the existing OEM
    > version
    > > > that came preinstalled on the computer. Compaq says NO, that I must
    > > > purchase
    > > > the full version of XP Home.
    > > >
    > > > Is this correct? And, if it is NOT correct, is there some place I can
    > get
    > > > step-by-step instructions on how to install the upgrade version?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > Lynne

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Michael Stevens has it right for you in what to do in your situation.

    > No, all I have is a partition on my hard drive that contains the OEM
    > installation. I have no disk other than the recovery disks I made when I
    > first set the system up.
    >
    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >> Do you have the OEM install disk (not a recovery disk)?
    >>
    >> "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > Be that as it may, it matters to me. I don't like the idea of having to
    >> > "restore" to the original setup should something go wrong. Compaq saw
    > fit
    >> > include a lot of stuff that I could care less about. It took me hours
    >> > get
    >> > rid of all of it. Now, I'd like to simply start fresh with my own
    > version,
    >> > with my own disk.
    >> >
    >> > Lynne
    >> >
    >> > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    > the

    >> > the
    > XP

    >> > version

    >> > get

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I personally do not care if you had me in your message filters, killfiles
    are people who typically avoid seeing their words pointed out to them when
    they are wrong or inconclusive with their words (as MPT does to so many,
    when they point out to her, as she violates her own rules). I simply asked
    you a question, if you don't want to explain it, that is perfectly fine and
    I don't care; it shows your willingness to explain what this means to you as
    you get festered over it, as well as shows your level of an MVP, IMHO.

    Anyway, my second reponse was a legitmnate question, which was:

    You then get testy with the "I'm not in the mood for splitting hairs"
    thingie, LOL. Maybe you should give it up for a time, or take some strong
    muscle relaxers before doing newsgroup readings and replies.

    Note, my original questions were not nasty, nor were they posted to get a
    rise, I would have asked any other the very same thing, had they posted in
    the same manner.

    > Tom
    >
    > If I didn't have patience, your name and ID would be in a message rule.. I
    > know that you consider yourself smart by questioning almost everything
    > that I or other MVPs say, but I consider behaviour like yours to be
    > 'compulsive', as probably will many other people..
    >
    > And no, I am not going to explain anything to you just so that your ego
    > can take a boost.. if you are happy for the world and his dog to see you
    > as a 'nitpicking' troll, then you are doing an excellent job..
    >
    > For the record, you don't get me down at all.. your posts amuse me.. keep
    > up the good work.. as long as you keep making yourself look bad, the rest
    > of us can bask in your wake..
    >

    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >> *Mike Hall MS-MVP, Hmm, gets testy, and refuses to explain what
    >> "Official" versions mean to him*
    >>
    >> Bottom line, whether you lack patience or not (wonder why you post here
    >> if you possess those attributes), anything sold by MS to OEMs is
    >> "Official", and in this context does not mean qualifying as I ask simply
    >> ask you what "Official" was (too bad you cannot answer the question). Did
    >> I split your last hair Mikey?
    >>
    >> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>> Tom
    >>>
    >>> It means whatever you want it to mean.. I am not in the mood to split
    >>> hairs with anybody right about now.. perhaps you might want to ask the
    >>> OP directly as to whether she understood what point I was making..
    >>> whatever makes you happy..
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Hall
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>>
    >>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Yes, I made the restore/recovery disks that Compaq setup suggested. I guess
    that is the same thing as a backup of the restore partition. I didn't make a
    backup set, which is an excellent idea. I do have another question regarding
    transfering data files if I go the 2nd hard drive route (I have 2 on my
    other computer and it's a nice option). I use Outlook Express - will my
    e-mails transfer as well from old to new? OE would be installed w/IE, so,
    the program would be available in the new setup. I have Norton SystemWorks
    Premier (or whatever they call it - it has a full version of Ghost) - I'll
    read up on it, too. I agree, it would transfer all of the content intact,
    but the OEM OS would be a part of the process. I don't mind doing fresh
    installs of the other programs and hardware drivers, but I'm not crazy about
    the tweaking and customizing of Windows itself. But, I'll gladly do it so I
    can have my own version of XP rather than having to settle for what Compaq
    thinks I need. This computer is the first one I've ever bought from a
    retailer. It was too good a deal to pass up. We've always had ours custom
    built and then upgraded as we saw fit. This has been a whole new experience
    for me. I've been really happy with it and it's running great. I've just got
    this "bug" to get finally make it my own now that the warranty is up. I'll
    be installing a new video card as well. I play a lot of computer games
    (adventure, not action) and higher quality graphics is important. Again,
    thank you. I appreciate your input - Lynne

    > "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    > >I wondered why he just kept repeating himself, rather than actually
    > > responding to my question. This was online, with both of us typing, so
    it
    > > got a little redundant. I kept asking and he kept giving me the same
    > > answer.
    > > When I told him I doubted I was the only person on the planet that
    wanted
    > > to do this, I got a "I've given you the correct answer, deal with it"
    type
    > > of response. Now, I'm mulling over the wisdom of buying a brand new hard
    > > drive (as a 2nd drive - set as the master) and starting from that point,
    > > keeping my current drive (with everything I've accumulated for the past
    > > year
    > > intact) as a 2nd drive. I think I read somewhere that I can transfer old
    > > files and settings from old drive to new during the installation. I'll
    do
    > > some more research. Anyone have any advice on trying this avenue or am I
    > > making a simple process even more complicated? Lynne
    > >

    > Having a second drive can be a nice option. You can store backups on the
    > second drive. Before going any further, have you made backup CD/DVD's of
    the
    > restore partition? I would do this before proceeding. Then in the worst
    case
    > scenario or if you want to sell the computer in the future you can restore
    > it to the factory settings. Once you have a verified CD/DVD backup make a
    > second copy. Then you can delete the restore partition and do whatever you
    > want regarding hard drives, partitioning etc.
    >
    > You can transfer some program settings and all of your data files to a new
    > install from a second hard drive. In most cases you can't transfer the
    > actual programs. They will need to be reinstalled. If you use any of the
    > original Compaq supplied programs this isn't possible without restoring
    the
    > whole setup. It's a catch-22 with most brand name PC's. It is possible
    using
    > the installation software supplied with some hard drives or programs like
    > Norton Ghost to make a clone of your old hard drive to the new one and
    > proceed from there. You would still run into the original upgrade problem
    of
    > OEM to Retail possibly not working unless you format and do a clean
    install.
    > At least you would still have your original setup on the old drive if
    > needed. You may also have to disconnect the old drive while doing the
    > install. Windows will see the OEM XP on the second drive and may not allow
    > install. You would also have to take ownership of the files on the second
    > drive after doing a clean install. The procedure is here:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech
    >
    > Kerry

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > Yes, I made the restore/recovery disks that Compaq setup suggested. I
    > guess
    > that is the same thing as a backup of the restore partition. I didn't make
    > backup set, which is an excellent idea. I do have another question
    > regarding
    > transfering data files if I go the 2nd hard drive route (I have 2 on my
    > other computer and it's a nice option). I use Outlook Express - will my
    > e-mails transfer as well from old to new? OE would be installed w/IE, so,
    > the program would be available in the new setup. I have Norton SystemWorks
    > Premier (or whatever they call it - it has a full version of Ghost) - I'll
    > read up on it, too. I agree, it would transfer all of the content intact,
    > but the OEM OS would be a part of the process. I don't mind doing fresh
    > installs of the other programs and hardware drivers, but I'm not crazy
    > about
    > the tweaking and customizing of Windows itself. But, I'll gladly do it so
    > can have my own version of XP rather than having to settle for what Compaq
    > thinks I need. This computer is the first one I've ever bought from a
    > retailer. It was too good a deal to pass up. We've always had ours custom
    > built and then upgraded as we saw fit. This has been a whole new
    > experience
    > for me. I've been really happy with it and it's running great. I've just
    > got
    > this "bug" to get finally make it my own now that the warranty is up. I'll
    > be installing a new video card as well. I play a lot of computer games
    > (adventure, not action) and higher quality graphics is important. Again,
    > thank you. I appreciate your input - Lynne

    To import/export emails in Outlook Express

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257173

    From everything you've said so far I think the best option is to do a clean
    install on a new drive keeping your old drive intact. Copy over whatever
    data you need once the install is done. Keep the old drive as is for a few
    weeks to make sure you're not missing anything. Once you are sure you have
    everything you need format the old drive and use it for something else.

    Kerry
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I agree - that's what I did with my other computer - clean installation on
    the new disk, then reinstalled, etc. as I went along. I think I kept the old
    disk contents intact for a good month or so. Now, I use it for backup. I'd
    forgotten that this was what I'd done. Thanks for reminding me. Lynne
    > "Lynne" <sophieaz@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Yes, I made the restore/recovery disks that Compaq setup suggested. I
    > > guess
    > > that is the same thing as a backup of the restore partition. I didn't
    make
    > > backup set, which is an excellent idea. I do have another question
    > > regarding
    > > transfering data files if I go the 2nd hard drive route (I have 2 on my
    > > other computer and it's a nice option). I use Outlook Express - will my
    > > e-mails transfer as well from old to new? OE would be installed w/IE,
    so,
    > > the program would be available in the new setup. I have Norton
    SystemWorks
    > > Premier (or whatever they call it - it has a full version of Ghost) -
    I'll
    > > read up on it, too. I agree, it would transfer all of the content
    intact,
    > > but the OEM OS would be a part of the process. I don't mind doing fresh
    > > installs of the other programs and hardware drivers, but I'm not crazy
    > > about
    > > the tweaking and customizing of Windows itself. But, I'll gladly do it
    so
    > > can have my own version of XP rather than having to settle for what
    Compaq
    > > thinks I need. This computer is the first one I've ever bought from a
    > > retailer. It was too good a deal to pass up. We've always had ours
    custom
    > > built and then upgraded as we saw fit. This has been a whole new
    > > experience
    > > for me. I've been really happy with it and it's running great. I've just
    > > got
    > > this "bug" to get finally make it my own now that the warranty is up.
    I'll
    > > be installing a new video card as well. I play a lot of computer games
    > > (adventure, not action) and higher quality graphics is important.
    Again,
    > > thank you. I appreciate your input - Lynne
    > >

    > To import/export emails in Outlook Express
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257173
    >
    > From everything you've said so far I think the best option is to do a
    clean
    > install on a new drive keeping your old drive intact. Copy over whatever
    > data you need once the install is done. Keep the old drive as is for a few
    > weeks to make sure you're not missing anything. Once you are sure you have
    > everything you need format the old drive and use it for something else.
    >
    > Kerry

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Tom

    I have seen your posts in other newsgroups, as well you know.. you have a
    tendency to want to criticize others, especially if they are using terms
    other than what you feel they should.. good for you..

    Re. my status as an MVP, if Microsoft feel that my standard of support no
    longer qualifies for the status, I will lose it.. MVP is not a lifetime
    award.. it has to be earned yearly..

    You are going to have to wait until 2006 to see the outcome.. either that or
    complain to the MVP organisation about my performance.. e-mail me, and I
    will send you the IDs of people to whom you can forward complaints.. maybe
    you could get me struck of before 2006.. would that make you feel better?..
    your call..

    --

    >I personally do not care if you had me in your message filters, killfiles
    >are people who typically avoid seeing their words pointed out to them when
    >they are wrong or inconclusive with their words (as MPT does to so many,
    >when they point out to her, as she violates her own rules). I simply asked
    >you a question, if you don't want to explain it, that is perfectly fine and
    >I don't care; it shows your willingness to explain what this means to you
    >as you get festered over it, as well as shows your level of an MVP, IMHO.
    >
    > Anyway, my second reponse was a legitmnate question, which was:

    > You then get testy with the "I'm not in the mood for splitting hairs"
    > thingie, LOL. Maybe you should give it up for a time, or take some strong
    > muscle relaxers before doing newsgroup readings and replies.
    >
    > Note, my original questions were not nasty, nor were they posted to get a
    > rise, I would have asked any other the very same thing, had they posted in
    > the same manner.
    >
    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Tom
    >>
    >> If I didn't have patience, your name and ID would be in a message rule..
    >> I know that you consider yourself smart by questioning almost everything
    >> that I or other MVPs say, but I consider behaviour like yours to be
    >> 'compulsive', as probably will many other people..
    >>
    >> And no, I am not going to explain anything to you just so that your ego
    >> can take a boost.. if you are happy for the world and his dog to see you
    >> as a 'nitpicking' troll, then you are doing an excellent job..
    >>
    >> For the record, you don't get me down at all.. your posts amuse me.. keep
    >> up the good work.. as long as you keep making yourself look bad, the rest
    >> of us can bask in your wake..
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >>> *Mike Hall MS-MVP, Hmm, gets testy, and refuses to explain what
    >>> "Official" versions mean to him*
    >>>
    >>> Bottom line, whether you lack patience or not (wonder why you post here
    >>> if you possess those attributes), anything sold by MS to OEMs is
    >>> "Official", and in this context does not mean qualifying as I ask simply
    >>> ask you what "Official" was (too bad you cannot answer the question).
    >>> Did I split your last hair Mikey?
    >>>
    >>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    No, not my goal to complain about your lack of patience or virtues thereof
    of an MVP. I don't care that you really have those initials, they only mean
    as much as the person who wants to represent those letters. I criticize when
    I feel it is needed, and it is something I don't do with some kind of
    pleasure. As such, I also take criticism, and find fault in myself when it
    is pointed out to me, I have no problem with that as well.

    You simply got bent over simple question, somehow tying it to your personal
    vision of what my persona is to you, that I am not really asking the
    question that I did, if for some ulterior motives; that is your problem,
    not mine. I take words for what they are in these forums, without placing
    some personality that I may or may not know exist, to those those words. I
    also do not make words mean something else, that isn't standard, hence why I
    asked you straight up what you meant, though such a request seemed a bit
    more than you could handle.

    Time to move on now!

    > Tom
    >
    > I have seen your posts in other newsgroups, as well you know.. you have a
    > tendency to want to criticize others, especially if they are using terms
    > other than what you feel they should.. good for you..
    >
    > Re. my status as an MVP, if Microsoft feel that my standard of support no
    > longer qualifies for the status, I will lose it.. MVP is not a lifetime
    > award.. it has to be earned yearly..
    >
    > You are going to have to wait until 2006 to see the outcome.. either that
    > or complain to the MVP organisation about my performance.. e-mail me, and
    > I will send you the IDs of people to whom you can forward complaints..
    > maybe you could get me struck of before 2006.. would that make you feel
    > better?.. your call..
    >

    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >>I personally do not care if you had me in your message filters, killfiles
    >>are people who typically avoid seeing their words pointed out to them when
    >>they are wrong or inconclusive with their words (as MPT does to so many,
    >>when they point out to her, as she violates her own rules). I simply asked
    >>you a question, if you don't want to explain it, that is perfectly fine
    >>and I don't care; it shows your willingness to explain what this means to
    >>you as you get festered over it, as well as shows your level of an MVP,
    >>IMHO.
    >>
    >> Anyway, my second reponse was a legitmnate question, which was:

    >> You then get testy with the "I'm not in the mood for splitting hairs"
    >> thingie, LOL. Maybe you should give it up for a time, or take some strong
    >> muscle relaxers before doing newsgroup readings and replies.
    >>
    >> Note, my original questions were not nasty, nor were they posted to get a
    >> rise, I would have asked any other the very same thing, had they posted
    >> in the same manner.
    >>
    >> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>> Tom
    >>>
    >>> If I didn't have patience, your name and ID would be in a message rule..
    >>> I know that you consider yourself smart by questioning almost everything
    >>> that I or other MVPs say, but I consider behaviour like yours to be
    >>> 'compulsive', as probably will many other people..
    >>>
    >>> And no, I am not going to explain anything to you just so that your ego
    >>> can take a boost.. if you are happy for the world and his dog to see you
    >>> as a 'nitpicking' troll, then you are doing an excellent job..
    >>>
    >>> For the record, you don't get me down at all.. your posts amuse me..
    >>> keep up the good work.. as long as you keep making yourself look bad,
    >>> the rest of us can bask in your wake..
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Mike Hall
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>>
    >>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Tom

    When your answers to people are beyond reproach and correct in every way,
    then you have a case to criticize others.. presently, you are a long way off
    of the mark and you know it..

    I took task with you originally because your contributions do little to help
    OPs, and your criticisms of those that do try to help also have little
    value.. I assume that you will strive to improve as you expect others so to
    do..

    See you around the newsgroups..

    --

> [...]
    >>>are people who typically avoid seeing their words pointed out to them
    >>>when they are wrong or inconclusive with their words (as MPT does to so
    >>>many, when they point out to her, as she violates her own rules). I
    >>>simply asked you a question, if you don't want to explain it, that is
    >>>perfectly fine and I don't care; it shows your willingness to explain
    >>>what this means to you as you get festered over it, as well as shows your
    >>>level of an MVP, IMHO.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, my second reponse was a legitmnate question, which was:

    >>> You then get testy with the "I'm not in the mood for splitting hairs"
    >>> thingie, LOL. Maybe you should give it up for a time, or take some
    >>> strong muscle relaxers before doing newsgroup readings and replies.
    >>>
    >>> Note, my original questions were not nasty, nor were they posted to get
    >>> a rise, I would have asked any other the very same thing, had they

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Whatever, you obviously pick and choose what I post to see what help I don't
    give for your own defense, and I give answers here that are of help quite
    often. I have read your posts also, and you complain about something I do,
    then violate that by doing it also. If you want "Official" to mean something
    to you, then that is fine, you have shown already that words mean something
    to you other than mainstream meanings. Considering what I first approached
    you on about your use of words, the OP has an Official install of XP on her
    PC. I asked you a question regarding your term, and again as usual, your
    penchant for looking into things more than I do, is your problem, not mine.

    Keep in mind your comment regarding what help one offers around here, then
    we'll see how much you give, and how you criticize, or not criticize others
    that give almost no help here, and belittle others).

    > Tom
    >
    > When your answers to people are beyond reproach and correct in every way,
    > then you have a case to criticize others.. presently, you are a long way
    > off of the mark and you know it..
    >
    > I took task with you originally because your contributions do little to
    > help OPs, and your criticisms of those that do try to help also have
    > little value.. I assume that you will strive to improve as you expect
    > others so to do..
    >
    > See you around the newsgroups..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >> No, not my goal to complain about your lack of patience or virtues
    >> thereof of an MVP. I don't care that you really have those initials, they
    >> only mean as much as the person who wants to represent those letters. I
    >> criticize when I feel it is needed, and it is something I don't do with
    >> some kind of pleasure. As such, I also take criticism, and find fault in
    >> myself when it is pointed out to me, I have no problem with that as well.
    >>
    >> You simply got bent over simple question, somehow tying it to your
    >> personal vision of what my persona is to you, that I am not really asking
    >> the question that I did, if for some ulterior motives; that is your
    >> problem, not mine. I take words for what they are in these forums,
    >> without placing some personality that I may or may not know exist, to
    >> those those words. I also do not make words mean something else, that
    >> isn't standard, hence why I asked you straight up what you meant, though
    >> such a request seemed a bit more than you could handle.
    >>
    >> Time to move on now!
    >>
    >> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>> Tom
    >>>
    >>> I have seen your posts in other newsgroups, as well you know.. you have
    >>> a tendency to want to criticize others, especially if they are using
    >>> terms other than what you feel they should.. good for you..
    >>>
    >>> Re. my status as an MVP, if Microsoft feel that my standard of support
    >>> no longer qualifies for the status, I will lose it.. MVP is not a
    >>> lifetime award.. it has to be earned yearly..
    >>>
    >>> You are going to have to wait until 2006 to see the outcome.. either
    >>> that or complain to the MVP organisation about my performance.. e-mail
    >>> me, and I will send you the IDs of people to whom you can forward
    >>> complaints.. maybe you could get me struck of before 2006.. would that
    >>> make you feel better?.. your call..
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Mike Hall
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>>
    >>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>>

    >>> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Tom

    You do to others what you do to me.. none of us care particularly, and you
    just get seen for the supercilious nitpicking idiot that you are..

    From this date on, I will no longer reply to you as long threads like this
    one do not help the people who have problems.. you are unwilling to share
    your e-mail ID with me, so I can only assume that your purpose in life is
    attempting to humiliate others in public.. good for you..

    --

    > Whatever, you obviously pick and choose what I post to see what help I
    > don't give for your own defense, and I give answers here that are of help
    > quite often. I have read your posts also, and you complain about
    > something I do, then violate that by doing it also. If you want "Official"
    > to mean something to you, then that is fine, you have shown already that
    > words mean something to you other than mainstream meanings. Considering
    > what I first approached you on about your use of words, the OP has an
    > Official install of XP on her PC. I asked you a question regarding your
    > term, and again as usual, your penchant for looking into things more than
    > I do, is your problem, not mine.
    >
    > Keep in mind your comment regarding what help one offers around here, then
    > we'll see how much you give, and how you criticize, or not criticize
    > others that give almost no help here, and belittle others).
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Tom
    >>
    >> When your answers to people are beyond reproach and correct in every way,
    >> then you have a case to criticize others.. presently, you are a long way
    >> off of the mark and you know it..
    >>
    >> I took task with you originally because your contributions do little to
    >> help OPs, and your criticisms of those that do try to help also have
    >> little value.. I assume that you will strive to improve as you expect
    >> others so to do..
    >>
    >> See you around the newsgroups..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >>> No, not my goal to complain about your lack of patience or virtues
    >>> thereof of an MVP. I don't care that you really have those initials,
    >>> they only mean as much as the person who wants to represent those
    >>> letters. I criticize when I feel it is needed, and it is something I
    >>> don't do with some kind of pleasure. As such, I also take criticism, and
    >>> find fault in myself when it is pointed out to me, I have no problem
    >>> with that as well.
    >>>
    >>> You simply got bent over simple question, somehow tying it to your
    >>> personal vision of what my persona is to you, that I am not really
    >>> asking the question that I did, if for some ulterior motives; that is
    >>> your problem, not mine. I take words for what they are in these forums,
    >>> without placing some personality that I may or may not know exist, to
    >>> those those words. I also do not make words mean something else, that
    >>> isn't standard, hence why I asked you straight up what you meant, though
    >>> such a request seemed a bit more than you could handle.
    >>>
    >>> Time to move on now!
    >>>
    >>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In news:%23mNd3p4MFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Tom <noway@nothere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    > Whatever, you obviously pick and choose what I post to see what help
    > I don't give for your own defense, and I give answers here that are
    > of help quite often. I have read your posts also, and you complain about
    > something I do, then violate that by doing it also. If you want
    > "Official" to mean something to you, then that is fine, you have
    > shown already that words mean something to you other than mainstream
    > meanings. Considering what I first approached you on about your use
    > of words, the OP has an Official install of XP on her PC. I asked you
    > a question regarding your term, and again as usual, your penchant for
    > looking into things more than I do, is your problem, not mine.
    > Keep in mind your comment regarding what help one offers around here,
    > then we'll see how much you give, and how you criticize, or not
    > criticize others that give almost no help here, and belittle others).
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Tom
    >>
    >> When your answers to people are beyond reproach and correct in every
    >> way, then you have a case to criticize others.. presently, you are a
    >> long way off of the mark and you know it..
    >>
    >> I took task with you originally because your contributions do little
    >> to help OPs, and your criticisms of those that do try to help also
    >> have little value.. I assume that you will strive to improve as you
    >> expect others so to do..
    >>
    >> See you around the newsgroups..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >>> No, not my goal to complain about your lack of patience or virtues
    >>> thereof of an MVP. I don't care that you really have those
    >>> initials, they only mean as much as the person who wants to
    >>> represent those letters. I criticize when I feel it is needed, and
    >>> it is something I don't do with some kind of pleasure. As such, I
    >>> also take criticism, and find fault in myself when it is pointed
    >>> out to me, I have no problem with that as well. You simply got bent over
    >>> simple question, somehow tying it to your
    >>> personal vision of what my persona is to you, that I am not really
    >>> asking the question that I did, if for some ulterior motives; that
    >>> is your problem, not mine. I take words for what they are in these
    >>> forums, without placing some personality that I may or may not know
    >>> exist, to those those words. I also do not make words mean
    >>> something else, that isn't standard, hence why I asked you straight
    >>> up what you meant, though such a request seemed a bit more than you
    >>> could handle. Time to move on now!
    >>>
    >>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    Bottom line Tom, you didn't want to accept that you WERE actually splitting
    hairs and Mike didn't think it was necessary for what ever reason [he does
    have a real life BTW] to look at both sides of the split. Mike explained
    what he meant. So instead of accepting that both of you were actually in
    agreement but just stating it differently you chose to insult Mike and make
    a big deal out of nothing. Then you escalate it until it becomes a personal
    vendetta. This a pattern you use and is not necessary or productive to peer
    support newsgroups.
    Tom feedback is good from all sides of the equation, but try to keep it
    productive instead of confrontational. Think, would I say this the same way
    face to face?
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in

    > but try to keep it productive instead of confrontational.

    What a unique idea! But wouldn't that destroy the Usenet we've all
    come to know and love over the years? <G>
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In news:Xns9628D654866E3xs11eyahoocom@207.46.248.16,
    XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    > "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in
    >
    >> but try to keep it productive instead of confrontational.
    >
    > What a unique idea! But wouldn't that destroy the Usenet we've all
    > come to know and love over the years? <G>

    Of course it would, but for these particular newsgroups, it would not make a
    difference because of the legitimate volume of posts that need real replies
    with real help. When posts become a piXXing match, nobody wins or benefits.
    Tom has a pattern of nitpicking a reply and escalating the nitpicking to the
    ridiculous. It is not necessary to deride a person to make a point.
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com