FTP Thru the MN-700 and XP-SP2 Firewall

Last response: in Networking
April 16, 2005 3:24:37 AM

Hi! Need some help configuring an MN-700 wireless router to accept a
passive FTP connection. I have the router set to allow persistent port
forwarding from external port 21 to internal port 21, and external ports
2000 to 2010 to internal ports 2000 to 2010 on the gateway machine
(192.168.0.XXX). I also have ports 21, and 2000-2010 open on the XP
Firewall.

Active connections come through fine, but passive ones hang. I'm pretty
sure I have the FTP server configured properly, as I can make a passive
connection locally. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing on either the
router or the firewall?

Thanks!

More about : ftp 700 sp2 firewall

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 6:43:20 AM

You need to tell the FTP server software that your WAN ip should be the ip
used for passive mode (otherwise, the FTP server will assume that the LAN ip
assigned to that computer is to be used, and people connecting from outside
your network - ie the internet, will not be able to access that LAN ip since
it is non-routable).

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"DeNunzio" <denunzio@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi! Need some help configuring an MN-700 wireless router to accept a
> passive FTP connection. I have the router set to allow persistent port
> forwarding from external port 21 to internal port 21, and external ports
> 2000 to 2010 to internal ports 2000 to 2010 on the gateway machine
> (192.168.0.XXX). I also have ports 21, and 2000-2010 open on the XP
> Firewall.
>
> Active connections come through fine, but passive ones hang. I'm pretty
> sure I have the FTP server configured properly, as I can make a passive
> connection locally. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing on either the
> router or the firewall?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 7:25:35 PM

Thank, Jason. Had already done that. The software manufacturer said "leave
it blank" (as I have a dynamic IP), but that didn't make sense to me (nor
did it work). I also tried temporarily plugging in my assigned WAN IP, and
also tried putting in the domain name associated with the dynamic IP.
Neither of those worked either.

When I attempt to log on from a remote PC, the FTP client used returns
"error connecting to socket" in PASV mode, but connect fine in active. On
the server log, I can see that it has switched to passive mode, but hangs
there.

"Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> You need to tell the FTP server software that your WAN ip should be the ip
> used for passive mode (otherwise, the FTP server will assume that the LAN
> ip assigned to that computer is to be used, and people connecting from
> outside your network - ie the internet, will not be able to access that
> LAN ip since it is non-routable).
>
> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> "DeNunzio" <denunzio@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi! Need some help configuring an MN-700 wireless router to accept a
>> passive FTP connection. I have the router set to allow persistent port
>> forwarding from external port 21 to internal port 21, and external ports
>> 2000 to 2010 to internal ports 2000 to 2010 on the gateway machine
>> (192.168.0.XXX). I also have ports 21, and 2000-2010 open on the XP
>> Firewall.
>>
>> Active connections come through fine, but passive ones hang. I'm pretty
>> sure I have the FTP server configured properly, as I can make a passive
>> connection locally. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing on either the
>> router or the firewall?
>>
>> Thanks!

June 26, 2012 10:03:39 PM

The cost of running your own FTP server is very high: you need an always-on FTP server computer, then you need to install FTP server software. For this to be reliable, you need to take care of the security, which means you need to configure access permissions carefully and install OS patches periodically. Moreover, you need to backup the server and make sure you have redundant hardware. Then you need to have a good and reliable Internet connection.

The cost can be thousands of dollars, not including your time and efforts!

Now it can be much easier, and you can save a lot of cost on server hardware, software and bandwidth. DriveHQ.com is the first Cloud IT Solution provider, it is also one of the largest FTP hosting service providers. Our FTP server is more secure and reliable than your own FTP server, and we have virtually unlimited network bandwidth. The cost is dramatically lower, and with our web-based user administration tool, you don't need IT background to use our service. Our basic service is free, and premium service starts at only $1.99/month.

Jacky
www.DriveHQ.com
!