error message popup refers to a website

I just started up a refurbished computer with xp home ed and I'm getting
a variety of popups from SECURITY MONITOR to WINDOWS USER warning me of
a buffer overflow in messenger service. they tell me to go to
www.updatenow.org and download a patch. Another window with a similar
message also popsup periodically and refers me to another web site. Not
being famiar with windowsxp, I don't know if this is a trojan or some
popup ad or maybe I really do have some problem and need to go to the
site. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about error message popup refers website

    Hi garyw,

    If the popups are appearing in a window titled "Messenger Service", then
    have a look here:

    Disabling Messenger Service in Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/stopspam.mspx

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "garyw" <garygrantham@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > I just started up a refurbished computer with xp home ed and I'm getting
    > a variety of popups from SECURITY MONITOR to WINDOWS USER warning me of
    > a buffer overflow in messenger service. they tell me to go to
    > www.updatenow.org and download a patch. Another window with a similar
    > message also popsup periodically and refers me to another web site. Not
    > being famiar with windowsxp, I don't know if this is a trojan or some
    > popup ad or maybe I really do have some problem and need to go to the
    > site. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks.

    You've got spyware on your computer. Don't go to that website...BIG
    trouble. Download, install, run Lavasoft's Adaware, Spybot search and
    Destroy. Run them in safe mode.

    "Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in

    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/stopspam.m
    > px