Hi,

I am running XP SP2 (latest patches).

Recently, Cleartype keeps setting, by itself. I have no idea why. My
system is virus free and spyware free.

Could someone (MVP) throw some light on this please.

Many thanks,

Neil

Open up the settings wizard for cleartype,and/or go to the cleartype web
page,download the software or use the on-line interface to adjust.

"N J Jelley" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running XP SP2 (latest patches).
>
> Recently, Cleartype keeps setting, by itself. I have no idea why. My
> system is virus free and spyware free.
>
> Could someone (MVP) throw some light on this please.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Neil

This just tells me how to use it.

My pc has a fault, and sets cleartype randomly by itself. That is the
problem.

Neil

I've just formatted the HD and WinXP Pro still does it.

Some advice would be great.

Thanks.

Neil

frodo

control panel | display | apperance | effects | uncheck 2nd line, "use
following method..."

are you saying that this setting is spontainiously getting checked on for
you?? If so, when? At startup? Always, or just sometimes? Sounds like
some "thing" is trying to be "helpful", double check all your startup
items. Do you have any LCD display software installed (like pivot
software) - it may be forcing CT on "for you".

BTW, Adobe Reader uses its own form of cleartype, controlled from its
internal options menu. It should not be affecting the master setting
tho...

-------------

if worse comes to worst, you can get the cleartype tuner and set
cleartype to its lowest setting, which is pretty much equivalent to
having it turned off. There are two tuners these days, the original and
there is now a MS PowerToy version too. Google for 'em.

Thanks for your advice.

I've discovered what it is, but don't know why.

It is Webroot's Window Washer version 6. The first time I click on the
desktop after running that program is when Cleartype is set. I don't even
have to run a wash, just start the program, and it happens - every time.

Regards,

Neil

It transpires to be a known bug...

Neil