Mouse pointer movement causes HELP window to open

Hi all

If anyone out there can help me with this one, I'll be extreeeeeeeeemly
greatful!

My HP compaq laptop motherboard was recently replaced due to a failed
bios flash - and since then my previous problem was sorted out, but I
have a new one now!

I am running Win XP SP2, use Nod32 and MS AntiSpyware, firewall active,
the works, so I am pretty sure that I don't have a virus or spyware
lurking around. The HELP window of the application I'm working in at
the time keeps on opening by itself at random when I move the
mousepointer (using ps2 mouse or touchpad) - can you imagine this!

I am pulling my hair out, and it is not doing wonders for my otherwise
very decent vocabulary :(.

I have been advised by MS Support to follow a process of elimination
using MSCONFIG - deselecting processes, startup programs, etc - but
seeing that it sometimes takes a while before the problem starts, and
with varied interval, this will take me absolutely forever - and I have
far too much work to spend 2 days trying to find this problem.

Anyone out there who has had the same problem, or something similar?

Oh yes - this has happened in MS Outlook, HTML-Kit, Internet Explorer,
Image Viewer, even when I'm moving the pointer around on my desktop
(then the Help and Support Centre windows opens).

I am desperate!!
Thanx
Jolio
3 answers Last reply
More about mouse pointer movement window open

    YES! at last someone with the same problem! I have tried re-building the
    laptop with fresh xp but it still does it! Ill be using a programme and then
    the help and support centre will open or the help dialouge box will open
    asking me if i want advice on how to use the programme. Then the mouse
    pointer will go berzerk! Anyone know what we can do? I have even tried
    turning off help and support but then i get a dialouge box saying it tried to
    open help but couldnt because its switched off. For the moment i have deleted
    all the help files and that seems to work but i can still tell when it tries
    to open because the mouse stops and the egg timer comes on. Very annoying

    Andy

    "jolio@webmail.co.za" wrote:

    > Hi all
    >
    > If anyone out there can help me with this one, I'll be extreeeeeeeeemly
    > greatful!
    >
    > My HP compaq laptop motherboard was recently replaced due to a failed
    > bios flash - and since then my previous problem was sorted out, but I
    > have a new one now!
    >
    > I am running Win XP SP2, use Nod32 and MS AntiSpyware, firewall active,
    > the works, so I am pretty sure that I don't have a virus or spyware
    > lurking around. The HELP window of the application I'm working in at
    > the time keeps on opening by itself at random when I move the
    > mousepointer (using ps2 mouse or touchpad) - can you imagine this!
    >
    > I am pulling my hair out, and it is not doing wonders for my otherwise
    > very decent vocabulary :(.
    >
    > I have been advised by MS Support to follow a process of elimination
    > using MSCONFIG - deselecting processes, startup programs, etc - but
    > seeing that it sometimes takes a while before the problem starts, and
    > with varied interval, this will take me absolutely forever - and I have
    > far too much work to spend 2 days trying to find this problem.
    >
    > Anyone out there who has had the same problem, or something similar?
    >
    > Oh yes - this has happened in MS Outlook, HTML-Kit, Internet Explorer,
    > Image Viewer, even when I'm moving the pointer around on my desktop
    > (then the Help and Support Centre windows opens).
    >
    > I am desperate!!
    > Thanx
    > Jolio

    Hi Andy
    Maybe you and I should start a 'support group' for people who have all
    gone wacko due to Help screens popping up all the time. :)
    Lets hope someone out there can help us, hey! Coz I am about to feed
    my mouse to the cat!

    A problem shared is a problem halved! Keep me informed mate if you dont mind
    cos im not on here often
    andy_davies0@hotmail.com
    Cant wait for the answer either. Ive tried everything. I think it is HP
    related.
    Andy

    "jolio@webmail.co.za" wrote:

    > Hi Andy
    > Maybe you and I should start a 'support group' for people who have all
    > gone wacko due to Help screens popping up all the time. :)
    > Lets hope someone out there can help us, hey! Coz I am about to feed
    > my mouse to the cat!

Windows XP