windows start up

Received an error when I started my computer saying
Windows could not start
becasue the following file is missing or corrupt. \Windows
System
32\Config\System
You can attempt to repari this file by starting Windows
setup using the
originial setup cd rom.Select "R" at the first screen to
start repair.
Would this be the disc that came with my computer and it
is the originial
disc for Windows XP?
Also is this a difficult thing to do and by that I mean I do not want to end
up getting myself into real problems
Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
Liz.

Hi, some info here:-

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545
How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
See also
How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

Yes, the WinXP disc.

"Izzie" <Liz@home.ca> wrote in message
> Received an error when I started my computer saying
> Windows could not start
> becasue the following file is missing or corrupt. \Windows
> System
> 32\Config\System
> You can attempt to repari this file by starting Windows
> setup using the
> originial setup cd rom.Select "R" at the first screen to
> start repair.
> Would this be the disc that came with my computer and it
> is the originial
> disc for Windows XP?
> Also is this a difficult thing to do and by that I mean I do not want to end
> up getting myself into real problems
> Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
> Liz.

thank you for you quick reply.
I was afraid of this is the disc I have is Service Pak xp1 and I have
Service pak xp 2 on the computer. If I use the disc will I have to reinstall
xp2?
Liz.
"Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, some info here:-
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545
> How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from
Starting
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
> Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
> See also
> How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705
>
> Yes, the WinXP disc.
>
> "Izzie" <Liz@home.ca> wrote in message
> > Received an error when I started my computer saying
> > Windows could not start
> > becasue the following file is missing or corrupt. \Windows
> > System
> > 32\Config\System
> > You can attempt to repari this file by starting Windows
> > setup using the
> > originial setup cd rom.Select "R" at the first screen to
> > start repair.
> > Would this be the disc that came with my computer and it
> > is the originial
> > disc for Windows XP?
> > Also is this a difficult thing to do and by that I mean I do not want to
end
> > up getting myself into real problems
> > Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
> > Liz.

Hi Izzie, looks like you're going to have to slipstream your original WinXP SP1 disc
with the SP2 patch. As you can't get into your computer, you're going to have to
borrow a computer with WinXP on. If you didn't order the CD with SP2 on or don't have
a copy of the SP2 patch (full), then a link for the full download included - it's big

Some slipstreaming links - autostreamer is the easiest.

Slipstreaming links

Autostreamer
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=248
Creating a bootable Windows XP

http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide

freeware CD burning application
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Full SP2 patch
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

Izzie wrote:
> thank you for you quick reply.
> I was afraid of this is the disc I have is Service Pak xp1 and I have
> Service pak xp 2 on the computer. If I use the disc will I have to
> reinstall xp2?
> Liz.
> "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, some info here:-
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545
>> How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP
>> from Starting
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
>> Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
>> See also
>> How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705
>>
>> Yes, the WinXP disc.
>>
>> "Izzie" <Liz@home.ca> wrote in message
>>> Received an error when I started my computer saying
>>> Windows could not start
>>> becasue the following file is missing or corrupt. \Windows
>>> System
>>> 32\Config\System
>>> You can attempt to repari this file by starting Windows
>>> setup using the
>>> originial setup cd rom.Select "R" at the first screen to
>>> start repair.
>>> Would this be the disc that came with my computer and it
>>> is the originial
>>> disc for Windows XP?
>>> Also is this a difficult thing to do and by that I mean I do not
>>> want to end up getting myself into real problems
>>> Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
>>> Liz.

That is what I was afraid of.
Thank you very much for the advice and the links.
> Hi Izzie, looks like you're going to have to slipstream your original
WinXP SP1 disc
> with the SP2 patch. As you can't get into your computer, you're going to
have to
> borrow a computer with WinXP on. If you didn't order the CD with SP2 on or
don't have
> a copy of the SP2 patch (full), then a link for the full download
included - it's big

> Some slipstreaming links - autostreamer is the easiest.
>
> Slipstreaming links
>

> Autostreamer
> http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2
> http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html
>
> Create a Slip Stream version of Windows XP
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm
>
> http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
> Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD
>
> http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=248
> Creating a bootable Windows XP
>
> http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
> Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
>

> freeware CD burning application
> http://www.cdburnerxp.se/
>

> Full SP2 patch

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&displaylang=en

> Izzie wrote:
> > thank you for you quick reply.
> > I was afraid of this is the disc I have is Service Pak xp1 and I have
> > Service pak xp 2 on the computer. If I use the disc will I have to
> > reinstall xp2?
> > Liz.
> > "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi, some info here:-

> >> How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP
> >> from Starting
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b307654
> >> Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
> >> See also
> >> How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705
> >>
> >> Yes, the WinXP disc.
> >>
> >> "Izzie" <Liz@home.ca> wrote in message

Good luck, hope you get it sorted out okay.
Kaylene