Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

computer shuts down while on the internet?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 12:55:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Friend called with ther computer shutting down while on the internet.

I remember a virus that did that, qhost ot welch (I think, something like
that). Not sure if it was one of them, there was a simple virus removal tool
for it from symantec, but can't remember which virus it was?
thanks
also posting to win98 newsgoup, not sure what systme they have till I go
voer
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 12:55:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Take a look at my article on Security, link in my sig.

But... Is the system spontaneously shutting down, or is there a BSOD
involved? There is a recent Windows Update for Win9x systems that has
caused many users problems. Have you friend check to see if there is a
task named "KB891711.exe" running (Ctrl-Alt-Del), and if so, suggest
that it should be uninstalled in Add/Remove Programs (Control Panel.) If
that helps, the only solution for the moment is to leave it uninstalled
and wait for MS to fix the fix.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
news:%23xuokPhMFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Friend called with ther computer shutting down while on the internet.
>
> I remember a virus that did that, qhost ot welch (I think, something
like
> that). Not sure if it was one of them, there was a simple virus
removal tool
> for it from symantec, but can't remember which virus it was?
> thanks
> also posting to win98 newsgoup, not sure what systme they have till I
go
> voer
>
>
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 4:04:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Went over, I believe it is the sasser virus, two errors LSA Shell
encountered a problem and also lsasse.ex termintated unexpectelyd, (brief )
Downloaded the sasser removal tool

Question on the update, how do you determine, on the Security Update for
Microsoft Windows (835732)xp 64 bit, which version you should use?
thanks


or
"Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:eejqCehMFHA.2576@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Take a look at my article on Security, link in my sig.
>
> But... Is the system spontaneously shutting down, or is there a BSOD
> involved? There is a recent Windows Update for Win9x systems that has
> caused many users problems. Have you friend check to see if there is a
> task named "KB891711.exe" running (Ctrl-Alt-Del), and if so, suggest
> that it should be uninstalled in Add/Remove Programs (Control Panel.) If
> that helps, the only solution for the moment is to leave it uninstalled
> and wait for MS to fix the fix.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
>
> "Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
> news:%23xuokPhMFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Friend called with ther computer shutting down while on the internet.
>>
>> I remember a virus that did that, qhost ot welch (I think, something
> like
>> that). Not sure if it was one of them, there was a simple virus
> removal tool
>> for it from symantec, but can't remember which virus it was?
>> thanks
>> also posting to win98 newsgoup, not sure what systme they have till I
> go
>> voer
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 4:04:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

OK, cool.

As for KB835732, look here.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04...

Are you asking the difference between "XP 64-Bit Edition Service Pack 1"
(which is v. 2002) and "XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003 "? If so, I can't
tell you, though I would assume it's mentioned on the General tab of
System Properties.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

"Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
news:uGBsJ5iMFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Went over, I believe it is the sasser virus, two errors LSA Shell
> encountered a problem and also lsasse.ex termintated unexpectelyd,
(brief )
> Downloaded the sasser removal tool
>
> Question on the update, how do you determine, on the Security Update
for
> Microsoft Windows (835732)xp 64 bit, which version you should use?
> thanks
>
>
> or
> "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:eejqCehMFHA.2576@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Take a look at my article on Security, link in my sig.
> >
> > But... Is the system spontaneously shutting down, or is there a BSOD
> > involved? There is a recent Windows Update for Win9x systems that
has
> > caused many users problems. Have you friend check to see if there is
a
> > task named "KB891711.exe" running (Ctrl-Alt-Del), and if so, suggest
> > that it should be uninstalled in Add/Remove Programs (Control
Panel.) If
> > that helps, the only solution for the moment is to leave it
uninstalled
> > and wait for MS to fix the fix.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> >
> > "Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
> > news:%23xuokPhMFHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >> Friend called with ther computer shutting down while on the
internet.
> >>
> >> I remember a virus that did that, qhost ot welch (I think,
something
> > like
> >> that). Not sure if it was one of them, there was a simple virus
> > removal tool
> >> for it from symantec, but can't remember which virus it was?
> >> thanks
> >> also posting to win98 newsgoup, not sure what systme they have till
I
> > go
> >> voer
> >>
> >>
> >
>
>
!