computer shuts down while on the internet?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Friend called with ther computer shutting down while on the internet.

I remember a virus that did that, qhost ot welch (I think, something like
that). Not sure if it was one of them, there was a simple virus removal tool
for it from symantec, but can't remember which virus it was?
thanks
also posting to win98 newsgoup, not sure what systme they have till I go
voer
3 answers Last reply
More about computer shuts internet
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Take a look at my article on Security, link in my sig.

    But... Is the system spontaneously shutting down, or is there a BSOD
    involved? There is a recent Windows Update for Win9x systems that has
    caused many users problems. Have you friend check to see if there is a
    task named "KB891711.exe" running (Ctrl-Alt-Del), and if so, suggest
    that it should be uninstalled in Add/Remove Programs (Control Panel.) If
    that helps, the only solution for the moment is to leave it uninstalled
    and wait for MS to fix the fix.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
    > Friend called with ther computer shutting down while on the internet.
    >
    > I remember a virus that did that, qhost ot welch (I think, something
    like
    > that). Not sure if it was one of them, there was a simple virus
    removal tool
    > for it from symantec, but can't remember which virus it was?
    > thanks
    > also posting to win98 newsgoup, not sure what systme they have till I
    go
    > voer

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Went over, I believe it is the sasser virus, two errors LSA Shell
    encountered a problem and also lsasse.ex termintated unexpectelyd, (brief )
    Downloaded the sasser removal tool

    Question on the update, how do you determine, on the Security Update for
    Microsoft Windows (835732)xp 64 bit, which version you should use?
    thanks

    or
    > Take a look at my article on Security, link in my sig.
    >
    > But... Is the system spontaneously shutting down, or is there a BSOD
    > involved? There is a recent Windows Update for Win9x systems that has
    > caused many users problems. Have you friend check to see if there is a
    > task named "KB891711.exe" running (Ctrl-Alt-Del), and if so, suggest
    > that it should be uninstalled in Add/Remove Programs (Control Panel.) If
    > that helps, the only solution for the moment is to leave it uninstalled
    > and wait for MS to fix the fix.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
    >> Friend called with ther computer shutting down while on the internet.
    >>
    >> I remember a virus that did that, qhost ot welch (I think, something
    > like
    >> that). Not sure if it was one of them, there was a simple virus
    > removal tool
    >> for it from symantec, but can't remember which virus it was?
    >> thanks
    >> also posting to win98 newsgoup, not sure what systme they have till I
    > go
    >> voer

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.internet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    OK, cool.

    As for KB835732, look here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-011.mspx

    Are you asking the difference between "XP 64-Bit Edition Service Pack 1"
    (which is v. 2002) and "XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003 "? If so, I can't
    tell you, though I would assume it's mentioned on the General tab of
    System Properties.

    --

    > Went over, I believe it is the sasser virus, two errors LSA Shell
    > encountered a problem and also lsasse.ex termintated unexpectelyd,
    (brief )
    > Downloaded the sasser removal tool
    >
    > Question on the update, how do you determine, on the Security Update
    for
    > Microsoft Windows (835732)xp 64 bit, which version you should use?
    > thanks
    >

    > or
    > > Take a look at my article on Security, link in my sig.
    > >
    > > But... Is the system spontaneously shutting down, or is there a BSOD
    > > involved? There is a recent Windows Update for Win9x systems that
    has
    > > caused many users problems. Have you friend check to see if there is
    > > task named "KB891711.exe" running (Ctrl-Alt-Del), and if so, suggest
    > > that it should be uninstalled in Add/Remove Programs (Control
    Panel.) If
    > > that helps, the only solution for the moment is to leave it
    uninstalled
    > > and wait for MS to fix the fix.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
    > >> Friend called with ther computer shutting down while on the
    internet.

    > >> I remember a virus that did that, qhost ot welch (I think,
    something
    > > like
    > >> that). Not sure if it was one of them, there was a simple virus
    > > removal tool
    > >> for it from symantec, but can't remember which virus it was?
    > >> thanks
    > >> also posting to win98 newsgoup, not sure what systme they have till
    > > go
    > >> voer

Virus Computers Microsoft Internet Windows XP