End Process question

Like so many others, I have hung processes. killaps and tskill both won't do
it. It is a set of two programs that network with each other, pd.exe and
wish84.exe, of the Pure Data program of Miller Puckette. Alas, they open
anew each time and stay on the process list when closed. I can end the pd
process, but I currently have about 2 dozen wish84.exe processes with
different PIDs. They take up 200K each. They are not using CPU power, but
my system is extremely slow.

tskill doesn't give any error, it just brings up the next command line and
wish84.exe remains in place. Any ideas?
2 answers Last reply
More about process question

    Locate where these applications are running from:

    For this you can do a search.

    Option 1:
    Go to Administrative Tools, Open the Local Security policy, Open Up
    Software Restriction Policy. Make a new path rule and then deny execution
    from the path in which these applications are running.

    If these applications are running in MIXED directory with needed
    applications such as system32/

    Option 2:

    Determine the priviledges that the application is running on. in taskmgr.exe
    are they started by YOU or local system? If they are started by local
    system, they are probably services. Go to services.msc and de-elevate their
    priviledges to run on a low-guest account.

    At that point you can deny access to those application for that account by
    setting the SECURITY for these EXE's. (We want to DENY the execution right)

    Now kill them they dont have the right to start another process; IF THEY RUN
    IN YOUR NAME.. that is they impersonate you they can set permisions back so
    de-elevating them to an account below your own is crucial here.

    Finally if they are not a service; you have to login onto an account that is
    a "USer" buil-in group group. Then run taskmng.exe with elevated rights, by
    using the RunAs command; login into you Administrator account, disable the
    EXECUTE ACL (security flag) for these applications, and then kill them one
    by one.

    When they are not executing make sure to remove them and delete them so they
    don't start again.

    to do this:
    1.) Delete the files from the HD
    2.) open up msconfig and remove the Startup/Services from which they were
    running.

    HTH,

    --
    Andrew Frantsuzov (wreakon@pclx.com)
    PCLX http://ww.pclx.com

    "Chuckk" <Chuckk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Like so many others, I have hung processes. killaps and tskill both won't
    > do
    > it. It is a set of two programs that network with each other, pd.exe and
    > wish84.exe, of the Pure Data program of Miller Puckette. Alas, they open
    > anew each time and stay on the process list when closed. I can end the pd
    > process, but I currently have about 2 dozen wish84.exe processes with
    > different PIDs. They take up 200K each. They are not using CPU power,
    > but
    > my system is extremely slow.
    >
    > tskill doesn't give any error, it just brings up the next command line and
    > wish84.exe remains in place. Any ideas?

    There is also an tool application called PView.exe (Process Explode) which
    allows to remove ACLs from proccesses hence removing their rights on the
    Windows OS.

    If you play around with it you can just de-elevate their rights and kill
    them off one by one.

    --
    Andrew Frantsuzov (wreakon@pclx.com)
    PCLX http://ww.pclx.com
    "Chuckk" <Chuckk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Like so many others, I have hung processes. killaps and tskill both won't
    > do
    > it. It is a set of two programs that network with each other, pd.exe and
    > wish84.exe, of the Pure Data program of Miller Puckette. Alas, they open
    > anew each time and stay on the process list when closed. I can end the pd
    > process, but I currently have about 2 dozen wish84.exe processes with
    > different PIDs. They take up 200K each. They are not using CPU power,
    > but
    > my system is extremely slow.
    >
    > tskill doesn't give any error, it just brings up the next command line and
    > wish84.exe remains in place. Any ideas?

Microsoft Windows XP