Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Microsoft Ad: It Costs $30,000 to Fill iPod

Last response: in News comments
May 12, 2009 4:54:07 PM

Why not just download mp3s off the internet for free?
Score
May 12, 2009 4:57:38 PM

Actually that ad should really have been thrown at itunes and not the big expensive ipod that nobody ever fills. Its true that subscription services are better but thats really when your zune would last more than a week. I had a zune and it toased on the first day.
Score
May 12, 2009 4:58:06 PM

stlunaticWhy not just download mp3s off the internet for free?

because its ilegal?
Score
May 12, 2009 4:59:31 PM

Its also ilegal to urinate in public...
Score
May 12, 2009 5:01:43 PM

oh no, the RIAA just got your IP address, lol
Score
May 12, 2009 5:02:11 PM

It's about time they did some advertising for their Zune. I do like the $15/mo versus having to pay $1 (sometimes more since they raised the rates a little) for every single song you want to put on your iPod.

Now if only they would make the Zune in a variety of methods, along with a variety of accessories (like anything that keeps the user from having to worry about wires while they're exercising), I think I'd be all over this one.

That might make a nice article in the future. iPod accessories vs Zune accessories, and whether they are worth it or if they're just another little thing to try to nickel and dime you. $30 wall charger for the iPod, anybody?
Score
May 12, 2009 5:02:11 PM

bustaprActually that ad should really have been thrown at itunes and not the big expensive ipod that nobody ever fills. Its true that subscription services are better but thats really when your zune would last more than a week. I had a zune and it toased on the first day.

aww so you didn't even have a chance to have it crash on you on new years?
Score
May 12, 2009 5:03:33 PM

stlunaticIts also ilegal to urinate in public...

So is sex in public. Turns out we weren't alone on the beach after all.
Score
May 12, 2009 5:04:34 PM

tenor77So is sex in public. Turns out we weren't alone on the beach after all.

yes he was with a woman?
Score
May 12, 2009 5:05:38 PM

There are sites where you can download music LEGALLY for FREE...
Score
May 12, 2009 5:06:49 PM

stlunaticIts also ilegal to urinate in public...

Do you PEE in public?
Score
May 12, 2009 5:09:57 PM

stlunaticThere are sites where you can download music LEGALLY for FREE...

Are mininova and piratebay 100% legal, or do they have millions in demands from the music companies.
Score
May 12, 2009 5:13:31 PM

No, I dont pee in public but my dog does... Wanna join him?

Getting back to the topic, imagine you have a band or you are a musician who isnt well known or famous, and you have a new track or recording you want to share with the world via the internet. Say you put this on piratebay or myspace or whatever... That is not illegal :( 
Score
May 12, 2009 5:16:08 PM

Ipod users are brainwashed into buying their music from itunes and pay $1 for a song.

So they are hoping you don't have any cd's at all and have no choice but to hand them over $1 per song, you see, i myself had an ipod but without the brainwashing, I'm smarter than that and man, did i have a hard time transfering my MP3's to that blasted ipod. So i traded it for a cheap-ass $40 emerson mp3 player and after having that i didnt care that i spent over $150 for that stupid ipod because for a $40 mp3 player, it can play WHATEVER YOU WANT! and i still use it today, hasn't failed me yet.

The moral: why pay more to pay even more for songs you already own? that's a....QOTD!
Score
May 12, 2009 5:21:33 PM

I picked up the 120GB zune a while back and the zune pass subscription is pretty awesome.(especially since it uses the same virtual currency as my Xbox Live Account) The ability to purchase songs off of FM radio works really well for me and I've legally increased my music collection from a meager 10 gigs to about 35 gigs in the last four months with no end in sight without busting my wallet.

I think the lack of a touch screen is a plus for me... One less part of the device to power and the interface is the simpler style that the itouch ditched in favor of "t3h sh1nyz."
Score
May 12, 2009 5:21:45 PM

Busta, stlunatic is referring to websites hosted by bands that post their music to be dloaded for free or hopefully for optional donations etc.

Some of it is very good, but because they haven't signed with a major label you likely will not have heard of them etc.

This commercial is (as pointed out already) pretty far off base. The point stands that for some people a subscription based model just makes more sense.

But for many, we have our established collection, and really only want 3-4 new songs added to it a month. That's $3-4 a month instead of $15.

Of course if either download model makes it a pita to actually use the songs that I paid for on my devices that I own...they can get bent.
Score
May 12, 2009 5:23:39 PM

stlunaticNo, I dont pee in public but my dog does... Wanna join him?Getting back to the topic, imagine you have a band or you are a musician who isnt well known or famous, and you have a new track or recording you want to share with the world via the internet. Say you put this on piratebay or myspace or whatever... That is not illegal

And you'll get a ticket if you dont clean up after your dog...
Piratebay is not 100% ilegal either since you can upload your user created stuff. Thing is, if I created a song with my band and didnt copy anything, its legaly mine. Im not going to demand piratebay because people downloaded my song that I uploaded to the sight, I put it there for reason. piratebay is where it is because people uploaded songs that were not legaly theirs. itunes is legal because they have an official licence to sell their music.
Score
May 12, 2009 5:26:26 PM

I don't like many new artist, most of the artist I listen to are dead. Who deserves payment for their music? The family? I am sure the labels are more than happy to give sales revenue to the family of the deceased. If I were an artist I would hope that my legacy would be carried on by wide free distribution of my music. Man I wish Waylon Jennings was still around.
Score
May 12, 2009 5:28:36 PM

"It also doesn’t factor in peoples’ CD collections, photos, or videos they might want to store on their iPod."

First off, the RIAA would like you to stop ripping your CDs to MP3s. Anyone remember that Sony rootkit fiasco?

Second, how much did you initially pay for those CDs anyway? More than likely it was more than $1 a song.

Third, Photos don't take gigabytes of data, not at a resolution intended for an iPod. If you keep your 8mega-pixel photos in the default resolution taken by your camera, you could probably benefit from some photo resizing software.

Fourth, unless you transfer all your high-def camcorder videos to your iPod, you still won't have 120GB of space being used (and if I'm not mistaken, the iPod won't down-convert, so you have to have iPod-sized videos anyway).

In the end, how many people have a legal library of music and video they carry on their iPod that consumes the entire 120GB? No, I'm not counting professional photographers/videographers or people using their iPod as a flash-drive for computer backups. I'm also not talking about people who violate the DMCA by ripping thier DVDs into H.264 or download ripped music and video. I'm just talking average joes with a large, legal music or video collection. Not many people, and even those who do probably spent a fortune getting that library in the first place (i.e. microsofts $30k argument is still valid).
Score
May 12, 2009 5:28:59 PM

xantech22Ipod users are brainwashed into buying their music from itunes and pay $1 for a song.So they are hoping you don't have any cd's at all and have no choice but to hand them over $1 per song, you see, i myself had an ipod but without the brainwashing, I'm smarter than that and man, did i have a hard time transfering my MP3's to that blasted ipod. So i traded it for a cheap-ass $40 emerson mp3 player and after having that i didnt care that i spent over $150 for that stupid ipod because for a $40 mp3 player, it can play WHATEVER YOU WANT! and i still use it today, hasn't failed me yet.The moral: why pay more to pay even more for songs you already own? that's a....QOTD!

Do you pee in public? that's a... QOTD!
Score
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2009 5:43:39 PM

I filled mine up for free and didn't steal the music.. Ripp your cds then add them to itunes... Good job trying to say 30 g for ipod fill up... Stupid sales point
Score
May 12, 2009 6:07:33 PM

Use you ipod for data storage
Score
May 12, 2009 6:11:25 PM

Good job by MS! They successfully able to hide the "800 pound gorilla" in the room. What will happen with your DRM encrypted music on Zune when they decide to pull the plug?! Everyone already forgot what happen to all users that had MSN Music subscriptions?!
Apple finally started offering DRM free music, but at higher price and the default is still DRM crap.
So you are getting ripped-off any way.
Score
May 12, 2009 6:16:19 PM

Why would anyone want to buy a Zune though? They suck. Subscription based models = fail.
Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2009 6:22:41 PM

I just wish we could get a mo thly unlime\ited subscription to Windows Me for only $14.95 per month. That would really be AWESOME!
Score
May 12, 2009 6:23:10 PM

SAL-eGood job by MS! They successfully able to hide the "800 pound gorilla" in the room. What will happen with your DRM encrypted music on Zune when they decide to pull the plug?! Everyone already forgot what happen to all users that had MSN Music subscriptions?!Apple finally started offering DRM free music, but at higher price and the default is still DRM crap.So you are getting ripped-off any way.

glad you pointed out that subscription based music sux, but itunes is now all drm free, with some songs being $1.30 and others at $.99. the reason they riased the price was that more people will buy the entire album to inflate album sales since executives were noticing most people just buying singles rather than an entire album.
Score
May 12, 2009 6:39:18 PM

stlunaticWhy not just download mp3s off the internet for free?

LOL This is of course how most people fill a 120 gig ipod. Here is the interesting question: suppose you couldn't? Suppose piracy was impossible and you had two choices, either $15 a month for an all you can eat subscription or a buck a song? Who you gonna go with then? Rumor has it you can join Zune for a two week free sub and download a zillion songs and then crack them to mp3 for personal use . . .
Score
May 12, 2009 6:40:39 PM

duckmanx88..., but itunes is now all drm free, with some songs being $1.30 and others at $.99.

Ops... I forgot that Apple promised that and they did it. They have closed the cheap $.79 store and now only iTunes Plus DRM-free store is available. Thank you for pointing it out.
Score
May 12, 2009 6:40:47 PM

GREAT AD if you buy into it. The ad fail to let me know how long and how much it actually cost me to fill up the zune 120gb player with songs that i own after i cancel the subscribtion.
Score
May 12, 2009 6:46:48 PM

notherdudesuppose you couldn't? Suppose piracy was impossible and you had two choices, either $15 a month for an all you can eat subscription or a buck a song?

No piracy!, OK
notherdudeWho you gonna go with then? Rumor has it you can join Zune for a two week free sub and download a zillion songs and then crack them to mp3 for personal use . . .

How the hell you going to crack the DRM if there is no pirates around?! Oh you just become pirate #1. I love your argument! :) 
Score
May 12, 2009 6:47:58 PM

christopI filled mine up for free and didn't steal the music.. Ripp your cds then add them to itunes... Good job trying to say 30 g for ipod fill up... Stupid sales point

and how much did you pay for those CDs? hmmmmm? woulda been less over a subscription account.
Score
May 12, 2009 7:06:15 PM

I smell a FUD eh?

Microsoft should also say that by paying $14.99 a month, not everyone is going to download that many MP3s. Some people like me build their libraries slowly. Hell, I don't even have 3 GB worth of music yet. However, I would transcode videos to watch on an iPod if I ever do get one.
Score
May 12, 2009 7:15:12 PM

For those having problems with MP3s downloading to your iPod, you should be using the M4A format. Far better codec/tech specs, and it is not bound by DRM or other security issues.

I am currently converting a library of 2500 CDs to M4A, and 1200 LPs to the same format. I have no idea how much space it will take. All of my music is legal. Anyone who pays full price for a CD does not know how to play the system...most notably BMG. My average cost per CD is about $2.50. None of my music is pirated. Like most things MS related the $30K price tag is a bunch of shit. I have been buying music since 1966 so it is a moot point for me.

The iPod is used for both video and music. I have seen many iPod's maxed out with movies and a few songs. The reality is that very few, if any consumers would even come close to filling an iPod solely with music...nor would they want to.

What concerns me about the monthly MS fee is the fine print. Knowing how I have been screwed by purchasing MS products in the past, I cannot help but think there is some caveat in there waiting to be triggered. I will pass. Regarding what I shall buy: iPod or Zune? To be honest MS needs to start selling me on the quality of their own products and not on the inflated miss-givings of their opponents. In six months...it will either be a Zune or iPod.
Score
May 12, 2009 7:49:25 PM

14.99/mo that isn't bad, I didn't know that such a service existed. I wonder if those are wma files. Sounds like it beats the hell out of apple's store.
Score
May 12, 2009 8:26:43 PM

rooket14.99/mo that isn't bad, I didn't know that such a service existed. I wonder if those are wma files. Sounds like it beats the hell out of apple's store.

With all deals like this you have some catches. You only get to keep the songs while you have the service (unless you crack them), but you get 10 songs a month to keep forever. So it is like buying a CD a month and getting to sample all the music you want.
Score
May 12, 2009 8:29:42 PM

Just to clarify, this is a quote from :

Quote:
With a monthly Zune Pass music subscription, you can download millions of tracks from Zune Marketplace for the price of one CD a month ($14.99). Play them whenever you want on up to three computers and three players, for as long as you keep your subscription up to date. You also get to keep 10 of your favorite songs each month to add to your permanent collection. That's $10 worth of songs you know you already love.
Score
May 12, 2009 8:39:05 PM

does microsoft and apple have heard of p2p share networks and torrents??? :) 
Score
May 12, 2009 9:04:33 PM

stlunaticDo you pee in public? that's a... QOTD!

I pee on Apple and it's fanboys
Score
May 12, 2009 9:05:42 PM

Wow, not very smart on Microsoft's part. If someone stops paying their subscription fee, they stop getting all that music. Given that we're in a recession right now and a lot of people are worried about losing their jobs, this is probably a bad time to point out that your product is based on a subscription fee while your competitor's product is not.
Score
May 12, 2009 9:31:10 PM

benfeaWow, not very smart on Microsoft's part. If someone stops paying their subscription fee, they stop getting all that music. Given that we're in a recession right now and a lot of people are worried about losing their jobs, this is probably a bad time to point out that your product is based on a subscription fee while your competitor's product is not.

You are forgeting the fact that you get to keep 10 songs a month. Yes it is a little more at $1.50 for the songs you keep, but you get to have all the songs you want while you have the service.
Score
May 13, 2009 12:18:22 AM

It would only cost you that much if you bought only songs and no videos. And most people who buy and ipod with over 80gb already have a very large music collection. I have purchased over 90gb of media from itunes and have paid only 700 for it all.
Score
May 13, 2009 12:48:51 AM

SAL-eGood job by MS! They successfully able to hide the "800 pound gorilla" in the room. What will happen with your DRM encrypted music on Zune when they decide to pull the plug?! Everyone already forgot what happen to all users that had MSN Music subscriptions?!Apple finally started offering DRM free music, but at higher price and the default is still DRM crap.So you are getting ripped-off any way.

Hmmm I learned something... are the iTune songs really DRM free now? What does that actually mean? I stopped buying iTunes music because previously it allowed only 7 burns to a CD. I make a lot of mix cds and hated running into that limit (there are ways around it but it's too much work). Someone got details on the non-DRM tunes? I've been bashing iTunes for the longest time but I may reconsider iTunes if they are truly DRM free.
Score
May 13, 2009 2:36:43 AM

starrymanHmmm I learned something... are the iTune songs really DRM free now? What does that actually mean? I stopped buying iTunes music because previously it allowed only 7 burns to a CD. I make a lot of mix cds and hated running into that limit (there are ways around it but it's too much work). Someone got details on the non-DRM tunes? I've been bashing iTunes for the longest time but I may reconsider iTunes if they are truly DRM free.

I don't use iTunes software so I don't have full details, but as far I know the songs now are not encrypted any more. That means that you can play the file on any device or software that support .AAC file format. The file format is still proprietary and limit the number of devices and programs that can read it, but at least now you can convert the file to more standard file format like MP3 or OGG. Please note that that .AAC is compression with lost so quality of converted file will be lower no matter what format you are using. Personally I use FLAC, but it eats storage space quickly. :) 
There is catch. The files are "watermarked" so if you get smart and publish them on bit-torrent the copy could be traced back to you.
Score
May 13, 2009 3:37:10 AM

bustaprAnd you'll get a ticket if you dont clean up after your dog...Piratebay is not 100% ilegal either since you can upload your user created stuff. Thing is, if I created a song with my band and didnt copy anything, its legaly mine. Im not going to demand piratebay because people downloaded my song that I uploaded to the sight, I put it there for reason. piratebay is where it is because people uploaded songs that were not legaly theirs. itunes is legal because they have an official licence to sell their music.

did you seriously try to rebuttal by saying clean up after your dog's piss? what you carry a roll of bounty?

fail of the day
Score
May 13, 2009 3:50:58 AM

What??? No losless audio format support?! Why would I pay anything for incomplete music? Until they support FLAC, I'll never buy any song online.
Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 13, 2009 4:07:16 AM

ATTN: Microsoft. You're of course assuming that people exclusively buy all their music on the iTunes store. Nice try, good luck on your further smear campaign efforts.
Score
May 13, 2009 5:11:50 AM

Gosh, I'd hate to think how much it cost to fill my music library! Between the vinyl albums, reel-to-reel and cassette tapes, the CDs, the DVDs, and the stuff just on a hard-disk, I'm sure it's well over an average family's annual income. Some of it is irreplaceable (e.g. "direct to disk" or from the 1930's through 1970's.) And, yes, I have a reel-to-reel player and a linear-tracking turntable.
Score
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 13, 2009 7:12:41 AM

Microsoft is a sore loser... they have no creativity... they buy innovation... they're on the way out... in 10 years Microsoft will be a shadow of what it is today. Plus their Internet products are so unsafe only a fool would use them... heck why not just put your financial and personal information public.
Score
!