Erro: rundll32.exe is not a valid Win32 application

Got stumped again by some XP problem. Usually I scour the net and withing a
few hits I can find the solution to my problem, but this one has been keeping
me awake for the last 2 days.

I cannot run anything inside the control panel (Add/Remove Programs,
Internet Connection, Date/Time. etc). Every time I launch an icon, this
rundll32.exe is not a valid Win32 app error message pops up. I've copied my
rundll32.exe from my notebook to my System32 folder, but it still does the
error message. Strangely, I can launch the shortcut for the Add/Remove
Programs, Set Date/Time via the the control panel (cpl) file. It's time
consuming to do it that way, but the cpl files are not corrupted.

I'm thinking that there is a line missing in my registry (don't ask me
where). I have one back-up of my registry going back 2 months, but I hate to
have to restore the thing and then re-install all of my programs. Likewise,
doing a comparison between the two is impossible as well. It's over 134GB in
size. Not to mention the numerous [CSLID-...] strings.

Does anyone have any idea how to quick fix this problem?

Thanks,

NVBB
1 answer Last reply
More about erro rundll32 valid win32 application

    Well I sure hope that it was a major typo that your registry files are 134GB
    in size.

    As for your problem I have encountered it several time before and have
    always found that a repair installation is the easiest way to go.

    The repair will replace the core operating system files but will leave your
    files and settings intact.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

    --
    Regards

    Greg Palmer
    MS-MVP Windows (Shell/User)

    "NVBB" <NVBB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Got stumped again by some XP problem. Usually I scour the net and withing
    > few hits I can find the solution to my problem, but this one has been
    > keeping
    > me awake for the last 2 days.
    >
    > I cannot run anything inside the control panel (Add/Remove Programs,
    > Internet Connection, Date/Time. etc). Every time I launch an icon, this
    > rundll32.exe is not a valid Win32 app error message pops up. I've copied
    > my
    > rundll32.exe from my notebook to my System32 folder, but it still does the
    > error message. Strangely, I can launch the shortcut for the Add/Remove
    > Programs, Set Date/Time via the the control panel (cpl) file. It's time
    > consuming to do it that way, but the cpl files are not corrupted.
    >
    > I'm thinking that there is a line missing in my registry (don't ask me
    > where). I have one back-up of my registry going back 2 months, but I hate
    > have to restore the thing and then re-install all of my programs.
    > Likewise,
    > doing a comparison between the two is impossible as well. It's over 134GB
    > in
    > size. Not to mention the numerous [CSLID-...] strings.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea how to quick fix this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > NVBB

Rundll32 Windows XP