WORDPAD XP

I have new computer and typed a letter in wordpad then saved it. BUT when I
went to open it I got error" can't open file in word 6.0
How do I fix this problem?
2 answers Last reply
More about wordpad

    You have three options.

    1) Open Wordpad directly and then do a FILE > OPEN to open your saved
    document.

    2) You can associate files that end in .rtf with Wordpad and not Word. To do
    this open up My Computer, Click on Edit, Click on Folder Options, Click File
    Type tab, Scroll down to rtf files, Click on Change button, Select Wordpad
    from the list of programs that appears, make sure the "Always use the
    selected program to open this kind of file" box is ticked, click on Apply
    and Click OK.

    3) Right click on the file and select Open With from the menu that appears,
    select Wordpad.

    --
    Regards

    Greg Palmer
    MS-MVP Windows (Shell/User)

    "wayne bansemer" <wayne_bansemer@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I have new computer and typed a letter in wordpad then saved it. BUT when I
    >went to open it I got error" can't open file in word 6.0
    > How do I fix this problem?

    It a security update. Word 6 files can't be guaranteed
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870883 is a workaround. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS04-041.mspx is the reason MS has blocked Wordpad opening Word 6 files.

    "wayne bansemer" <wayne_bansemer@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:%23tOvK7mMFHA.2252@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >I have new computer and typed a letter in wordpad then saved it. BUT when I
    > went to open it I got error" can't open file in word 6.0
    > How do I fix this problem?

Microsoft Windows XP