Sign in with
Your question

Western Digital Disk to disk copy and Windows XP

Last response: in Windows XP
May 31, 2003 5:07:42 AM

I just got a WD 120gig HD w/8meg cache at Office Max for $59.99 after rebate.I want to replace my old 40G with it.The new drive came with a utilities floppy- "Data Lifeguard Tools V10.0." There is a copy old disk to new disk option for several OS including Win XP. After I make the copy and remove the old drive then hook up the new one as the only drive in the system I can't get Windows to boot,just the screen that usually has the user names to choose from.Only no names,just the Logo. Can anyone help me?
May 31, 2003 6:24:41 AM

Boot your comp by WinXP CD. At the <b>Welcome to Setup</b> screen, press Enter to start Windows setup program. After EULA (End User Legal Agreement) and Windows searches for existing WinXP installation in your comp, you should reach the screen that lists your current OS, select it and press <b><font color=red>R</b></font color=red> to repair your OS. It will reinstall your OS as same as clean installation. After it finishes, your existing data and settings should be accessible again.
<b>Note</b>, you might have to re-activate again because of hardware change (you new WD drive).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by khha4113 on 05/30/03 11:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 31, 2003 5:35:35 PM

Thanks for the reply. I had started to try a repair install and got as far as the point that Windows asked for my administraters password. I never set up a password as far as I can remember.I went to see if there was a place in my original windows to change my password to help me determine if there ever was one set up.All I got was a place to set one so I guess I never had.Maybe I should Try setting one. Then copy the disk again and see what happens.After searching these boards I'm starting to think I'd be better off setting up the new disk differently than the original by having a partition just for the OS and drivers then start from scratch.The old disk is one large partition and now see the problem that can cause.How do you guys have your disk set up and what do you use each partition for?
Related resources
May 31, 2003 9:21:16 PM

Quote:
I had started to try a repair install and got as far as the point that Windows asked for my administraters password.

It seems that you tried to use <b>Recovery console</b> at the first screen, <b><font color=red>Welcome to Setup</b></font color=red> menu, it also is a Repair option but that is only used to fix Windows booting problem. The <b>Reinstall Windows</b> option can only be opened when you press ENTER at the first screen. The next screen has a <b>list</b> to show which partition that has Windows installed. It has an option to <b>repair</b>. It is an option you want to use.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
May 31, 2003 9:26:05 PM

Quote:
How do you guys have your disk set up and what do you use each partition for?

I partitioned my HD (80G) into 3. One Primary partition (~20G for OS) and 2 logical (appx. 25G each). These 2 logical drives are used for backup and data. All 3 of them are formatted with NTFS.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
!