Unwanted Program On Task Bar

March 27, 2005 3:35:59 AM

I just noticed a "QuickTime" icon in my task bar that's apparently loading
each time I turn on the computer. I don't know how it got there... I hadn't
noticed it before. Is this something that should be removed? I know I
probably need the program but should it be taking up space on my Task Bar? I
assume something is "loaded" and ready to fire if it's in the Task Bar,
right? Need instructions on taking whatever action is recommended please.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 1:18:27 PM

John Gregory wrote:
> I just noticed a "QuickTime" icon in my task bar that's apparently loading
> each time I turn on the computer. I don't know how it got there... I hadn't
> noticed it before. Is this something that should be removed? I know I
> probably need the program but should it be taking up space on my Task Bar? I
> assume something is "loaded" and ready to fire if it's in the Task Bar,
> right? Need instructions on taking whatever action is recommended please.

In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
"display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
system registry, primarily in the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 6:05:13 PM

Is this program doing any harm by being in that systems tray all the time? I
vaguely remember downloading a conference call for a company that required
Quicktime and provided an easy link. I'll bet that's how this all came to
be.

But if it's harmless... I'll just let it alone. What's your take?

news:o d3MciuMFHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> John Gregory wrote:
>> I just noticed a "QuickTime" icon in my task bar that's apparently
>> there... I hadn't noticed it before. Is this something that should be
>> removed? I know I probably need the program but should it be taking up
>> space on my Task Bar? I assume something is "loaded" and ready to fire if
>> it's in the Task Bar, right? Need instructions on taking whatever action
>> is recommended please.
>

> In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
> simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
> "display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."
>
> Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
> Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
> Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
> system registry, primarily in the
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
> HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.
>
> How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
April 19, 2005 12:29:45 AM

The icon targets qttask.exe, which places the icon in the system tray so you can open Quick Time quickly. You really don't need it because most quick time files automatically open the player when double clicked. Also, instead of the qttask, either: 1) put the quick time player's shortcut on the quick launch bar; or 2) just open it from start, programs. Most people do not need to open quick time very often, so going to start, programs the few times you need to open the program is fine, and as I wrote, you could put the icon on the quick launch bar for ease of opening. I have had qttask.exe deleted for years with no ill effects. By the way, each time you download an update of quick time, you must delete qttask.

!