Unwanted Program On Task Bar

I just noticed a "QuickTime" icon in my task bar that's apparently loading
each time I turn on the computer. I don't know how it got there... I hadn't
noticed it before. Is this something that should be removed? I know I
probably need the program but should it be taking up space on my Task Bar? I
assume something is "loaded" and ready to fire if it's in the Task Bar,
right? Need instructions on taking whatever action is recommended please.
3 answers Last reply
More about unwanted program task

    John Gregory wrote:
    > I just noticed a "QuickTime" icon in my task bar that's apparently loading
    > each time I turn on the computer. I don't know how it got there... I hadn't
    > noticed it before. Is this something that should be removed? I know I
    > probably need the program but should it be taking up space on my Task Bar? I
    > assume something is "loaded" and ready to fire if it's in the Task Bar,
    > right? Need instructions on taking whatever action is recommended please.

    In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
    simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
    "display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

    Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
    Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
    system registry, primarily in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Is this program doing any harm by being in that systems tray all the time? I
    vaguely remember downloading a conference call for a company that required
    Quicktime and provided an easy link. I'll bet that's how this all came to
    be.

    But if it's harmless... I'll just let it alone. What's your take?

    > John Gregory wrote:
    >> I just noticed a "QuickTime" icon in my task bar that's apparently
    >> there... I hadn't noticed it before. Is this something that should be
    >> removed? I know I probably need the program but should it be taking up
    >> space on my Task Bar? I assume something is "loaded" and ready to fire if
    >> it's in the Task Bar, right? Need instructions on taking whatever action
    >> is recommended please.
    >

    > In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
    > simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
    > "display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."
    >
    > Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
    > Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
    > Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
    > system registry, primarily in the
    > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    > HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.
    >
    > How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    The icon targets qttask.exe, which places the icon in the system tray so you can open Quick Time quickly. You really don't need it because most quick time files automatically open the player when double clicked. Also, instead of the qttask, either: 1) put the quick time player's shortcut on the quick launch bar; or 2) just open it from start, programs. Most people do not need to open quick time very often, so going to start, programs the few times you need to open the program is fine, and as I wrote, you could put the icon on the quick launch bar for ease of opening. I have had qttask.exe deleted for years with no ill effects. By the way, each time you download an update of quick time, you must delete qttask.

    "John Gregory" <jaygreg90@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uJgdn$vMFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Is this program doing any harm by being in that systems tray all the time? I
    > vaguely remember downloading a conference call for a company that required
    > Quicktime and provided an easy link. I'll bet that's how this all came to
    > be.
    >
    > But if it's harmless... I'll just let it alone. What's your take?
    >
    > "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
    >> John Gregory wrote:
    >>> I just noticed a "QuickTime" icon in my task bar that's apparently
    >>> there... I hadn't noticed it before. Is this something that should be
    >>> removed? I know I probably need the program but should it be taking up
    >>> space on my Task Bar? I assume something is "loaded" and ready to fire if
    >>> it's in the Task Bar, right? Need instructions on taking whatever action
    >>> is recommended please.
    >>

    >> In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
    >> simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
    >> "display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."
    >>
    >> Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All
    >> Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the
    >> system registry, primarily in the
    >> HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    >> HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.
    >>
    >> How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Bruce Chambers
    >>
    >> Help us help you:
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
    >> both at once. - RAH

Windows XP