kronik

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002

Hi,
I keep getting a load of WinMgmt errors (details below) and the Help and
Support Center is no help. What is it, and how do I fix it? Thank you.

Error details:

Type: Warning
Source: WinMgmt
Category: None
Event ID: 64
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
The named section Global\Wmi Provider Sub System Counters, was created
with insufficient size, this could constitute a Denial of Service attack.

Delete the files in the REPOSITORY folders (..\system32\wbem) (you will have to turn off the winmanagement service to do that) 'net
stop winmgmt'

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Kronik" <thisisnotreal@fakeserver.net> wrote in message news:OlVSuroMFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I keep getting a load of WinMgmt errors (details below) and the Help and Support Center is no help. What is it, and how do I fix
> it? Thank you.
>

> Error details:
>
> Type: Warning
> Source: WinMgmt
> Category: None
> Event ID: 64
> User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
> The named section Global\Wmi Provider Sub System Counters, was created with insufficient size, this could constitute a Denial of
> Service attack.

kronik

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002

Mark L. Ferguson wrote:
> Delete the files in the REPOSITORY folders (..\system32\wbem) (you will have to turn off the winmanagement service to do that) 'net
> stop winmgmt'

Didn't help.

Some performance objects and counters are not available in the System Monitor tool on your Windows XP-based computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884558

--

"Kronik" <thisisnotreal@fakeserver.net> wrote in message news:%23gWvWLINFHA.3144@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Mark L. Ferguson wrote:
>> Delete the files in the REPOSITORY folders (..\system32\wbem) (you will have to turn off the winmanagement service to do that)
>> 'net stop winmgmt'
>>

> Didn't help.

I was having the same problem and this solution worked for me:

Right-click ‘My Computer’ and choose ‘Manage’ to open the Computer
Management tool.
Click on ‘Services’ in the list in the left-hand pane and then select
‘Windows Management Instrumentation’ from the list in the right-hand pane.
There are two entries for ‘Windows Management Instrumentation’ . You need to
select the main one, not the ‘Driver Extensions’ entry.
With the correct Service highlighted, click on the ‘Stop’ link which will
appear to halt the Service.
With the Service halted, use ‘My Computer to locate the folders
\Windows\System32\Wbern\Repository and \Windows\System32\Wbern\Repository\FS.
Delete all files in those folders.
Reboot to allow the service to be restarted and the necessary files recreated.

Hope this helps! I know the problem is really annoying.