Sign in with
Your question

Deleting folder created by Partition Magic 8

Last response: in Windows XP
May 31, 2003 5:44:15 AM

I was messing around with Partition Magic 8.0, creating, deleting and merging partitions. Anyway, when I merged two paritions, Partition Magic insisted that a folder be created containing the information from the eliminated partition. The partition was empty, so I'm left with and empty folder that I can't delete. When I attempt to delete it, I get the familiar "Cannot delete System Volume Information -- Make sure the disk is not write protected and that the file is not currently in use" error message. How in the hell do I get rid of this, short of formatting? Thanks.
-Brett
May 31, 2003 6:08:40 AM

That folder for WinXP System Restore not being created by Partition Magic. Unless you disable System Restore, you cannot delete it.
My suggestion, leave it as it is.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
May 31, 2003 6:35:36 AM

I disabled system restore on all of the drives, and it made no difference. This folder serves no useful purpose and it's going to drive my O.C.D. nuts. When I go into the command prompt and check the folder, there are two more directories that don't show up in Windows. They are titled "." & ".." Can't delete thes from the Command Prompt, either. It doesn't recognize them. ??????
-Brett
Related resources
May 31, 2003 6:55:30 AM

You need to add to your account <b>Full control</b> permission to that folder so you can delete it.
:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
May 31, 2003 7:14:49 AM

To add permission.
For WinXP <b>Pro</b>. Disable <b>Use simple file sharing (Recommended)</b> in Folder Options\View so the Security tab can be shown in Folder\File Properties. Add your user name and check <b>Full control</b>.
For WinXP <b>Home</b>. The Security tab can be shown only in Safe mode.

May 31, 2003 3:46:43 PM

Does it still give you error message "Access denied" or it refuse to delete the folder?

September 21, 2008 6:10:20 PM

All you have to do is right click the folder, go to sharing and security, in the "To share this folder with other users of this computer only, drag it to the Shared Documents.

Click the Shared Documents line to open your shared Documents, drag the folder in the Shared Documents to gain full access. Once the document is in the Shared Documents try deleting it again. It worked for me. Good luck
September 26, 2008 5:39:06 AM

Hmmm... over 5 years old... nice piece of archeology, Dr. Jones.
!