system restore wont work after virus

i got a virus called fatso through messenger. as far as i know my pc is now
clean, only thing is when i try to do anything with system restore i get the
message "system restore has been turned off by group policy, to turn on
system restore, please contact your domain administrator" any ideas please?
i have administrator rights on the pc im just not sure what to do, thanks in
advance,
--
wendy
2 answers Last reply

    "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i got a virus called fatso through messenger. as far as i know my pc is now
    > clean, only thing is when i try to do anything with system restore i get
    > the
    > message "system restore has been turned off by group policy, to turn on
    > system restore, please contact your domain administrator" any ideas
    > please?
    > i have administrator rights on the pc im just not sure what to do, thanks
    > in
    > advance,
    > --
    > wendy

    Start>run and type

    regedit

    navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT

    Delete the key called SystemRestore

    --
    William

    Hi Wendy,

    As more issues of this sort are showing up lately, i think this may be
    caused by malware / trojan etc. It's a good idea to do a clean-up. Follow
    the advice given in the following pages:

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    Once you're sure that the system is clean, disable the System Restore
    restrictions. Follow this:

    Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
    Navigate to the following key:

    HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore

    In the right-pane,
    Delete the value "DisableConfig"
    Delete the value "DisableSR"

    For Windows XP Professional, you can accomplish the above task using Group
    Policy Editor as well. Details follows:

    Click Start/Run and type GPEDIT.MSC
    Navigate to this path:

    =>Computer Configuration
    ==>Administrative Templates
    ===>System
    ====>System Restore

    In the right-pane, do the following:

    Double-click "Turn off System Restore" to "Not Configured"
    Double-click "Turn off Configuration" to "Not Configured"

    More Information:
    ------------------

    "Turn off System Restore" corresponds to "DisableSR" registry value
    -> With this Policy is turned ON, the System Restore tab may be missing
    in My Computer Properties. Also, when you run System Restore (rstrui.exe),
    you receive this message:

    [Msg] "System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on
    System Restore, contact your domain Administrator." [/Msg]

    "Turn off Configuration" corresponds to "DisableConfig" registry value
    -> With this Policy turned ON, the System Restore tab will remain
    displayed but the user cannot configure the SR options. It reads "disabled
    by Group Policy"

    System Restore Group Policy restrictions:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srpolicy.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "wendy" <wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i got a virus called fatso through messenger. as far as i know my pc is now
    > clean, only thing is when i try to do anything with system restore i get
    > the
    > message "system restore has been turned off by group policy, to turn on
    > system restore, please contact your domain administrator" any ideas
    > please?
    > i have administrator rights on the pc im just not sure what to do, thanks
    > in
    > advance,
    > --
    > wendy