Fully functioning windows xp system now failing to boot

I should have known better but I ran a program to get rid of some
adware/spyware from my computer.

After shutting it down and restarting it no longer boots to windows xp.

Not a bad problem in itself except its part of a dual boot system I use,
one is windoes xp and the other linux Mandrake.

I need a solution to this problem, one which will keep the system a dual
boot system, I dont want to lose the xp system or the data there.

Can anyone assist me with this problem? How can I recover the xp system and
keep the integrity of the system intact?

Stananger wrote:
> I should have known better but I ran a program to get rid of some
> adware/spyware from my computer.
>
> After shutting it down and restarting it no longer boots to windows
> xp.
>
> Not a bad problem in itself except its part of a dual boot system I
> use, one is windoes xp and the other linux Mandrake.
>
> I need a solution to this problem, one which will keep the system a
> dual boot system, I dont want to lose the xp system or the data there.
>
> Can anyone assist me with this problem? How can I recover the xp
> system and keep the integrity of the system intact?

Does Windows XP start in safe mode?

--
<- Shenan ->

Shenan Stanley wrote:

> Stananger wrote:
>> I should have known better but I ran a program to get rid of some
>> adware/spyware from my computer.
>>
>> After shutting it down and restarting it no longer boots to windows
>> xp.
>>
>> Not a bad problem in itself except its part of a dual boot system I
>> use, one is windoes xp and the other linux Mandrake.
>>
>> I need a solution to this problem, one which will keep the system a
>> dual boot system, I dont want to lose the xp system or the data there.
>>
>> Can anyone assist me with this problem? How can I recover the xp
>> system and keep the integrity of the system intact?
>
> Does Windows XP start in safe mode?

It starts to boot then hangs

The first screen with the black background seems to be ok then it gets to
the next screen where it hangs.

Can I get to the safe mode before it gets to this point?

Stananger wrote:

> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>
>> Stananger wrote:
>>> I should have known better but I ran a program to get rid of some
>>> adware/spyware from my computer.
>>>
>>> After shutting it down and restarting it no longer boots to windows
>>> xp.
>>>
>>> Not a bad problem in itself except its part of a dual boot system I
>>> use, one is windoes xp and the other linux Mandrake.
>>>
>>> I need a solution to this problem, one which will keep the system a
>>> dual boot system, I dont want to lose the xp system or the data there.
>>>
>>> Can anyone assist me with this problem? How can I recover the xp
>>> system and keep the integrity of the system intact?
>>
>> Does Windows XP start in safe mode?
>
> It starts to boot then hangs
>
> The first screen with the black background seems to be ok then it gets to
> the next screen where it hangs.
>
> Can I get to the safe mode before it gets to this point?

After much searching around the internet I decided that it must be a
registry screw up. So I went to MS support page and followed the
instructions. Everything is now working.
No data lost, Linux system intact and solid as a rock. Windows system
running and I still have some of that damn adware/spyware.

Thanks for the info as it helped me make the decision not to do some other
ideas I had. Probably would have cost me one system or the other.
I got lucky - this worked.