Help with XP Search Companion

March 27, 2005 4:43:11 PM

I wondered if any one can help? Is there a way to only search specific hard
drives of folders? When I open up search companion the only option I get in
the "Look In" pull down menu are:

My Documents
My Pictures
My Music
My Video
Desktop
My Computer
Local Hard Drives (C:; D:; E:; F:; J:; K:; L:)

I would like to just be able to search C: drive or a specific folder on C
drive NOT the whole computer. Additionally there appears to be no option
for searching for a file on a CD or DVD, which are my G and H drives.

Any advice gratefully received. Thx

More about : search companion

Anonymous
March 27, 2005 4:43:12 PM

Andy Charnock wrote:
> I wondered if any one can help? Is there a way to only search
> specific hard drives of folders? When I open up search companion the
> only option I get in the "Look In" pull down menu are:
>
> My Documents
> My Pictures
> My Music
> My Video
> Desktop
> My Computer
> Local Hard Drives (C:; D:; E:; F:; J:; K:; L:)
>
> I would like to just be able to search C: drive or a specific folder
> on C drive NOT the whole computer. Additionally there appears to be
> no option for searching for a file on a CD or DVD, which are my G and
> H drives.
> Any advice gratefully received. Thx

When you open Search, click the down arrow to the right of the Look In box.
At the bottom of the list, you will see a Browse option. Click Browse and
you can select any folder to search from there.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org/
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 3:09:06 AM

Thanks for the advice Ronnie, but unfortunately no such option exists. Any
other ideas welcome.

Cheers

Andy

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Andy Charnock wrote:
>> I wondered if any one can help? Is there a way to only search
>> specific hard drives of folders? When I open up search companion the
>> only option I get in the "Look In" pull down menu are:
>>
>> My Documents
>> My Pictures
>> My Music
>> My Video
>> Desktop
>> My Computer
>> Local Hard Drives (C:; D:; E:; F:; J:; K:; L:)
>>
>> I would like to just be able to search C: drive or a specific folder
>> on C drive NOT the whole computer. Additionally there appears to be
>> no option for searching for a file on a CD or DVD, which are my G and
>> H drives.
>> Any advice gratefully received. Thx
>
> When you open Search, click the down arrow to the right of the Look In
> box. At the bottom of the list, you will see a Browse option. Click Browse
> and you can select any folder to search from there.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org/
March 28, 2005 3:09:07 AM

You might try reinstalling the Search. Take a look at this web
site for more info:

http://www.tweakxp.com/article139788.aspx

--
Nepatsfan
"Andy Charnock" <andycharnock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the advice Ronnie, but unfortunately no such option
> exists. Any other ideas welcome.
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Andy Charnock wrote:
>>> I wondered if any one can help? Is there a way to only
>>> search
>>> specific hard drives of folders? When I open up search
>>> companion the
>>> only option I get in the "Look In" pull down menu are:
>>>
>>> My Documents
>>> My Pictures
>>> My Music
>>> My Video
>>> Desktop
>>> My Computer
>>> Local Hard Drives (C:; D:; E:; F:; J:; K:; L:)
>>>
>>> I would like to just be able to search C: drive or a specific
>>> folder
>>> on C drive NOT the whole computer. Additionally there
>>> appears to be
>>> no option for searching for a file on a CD or DVD, which are
>>> my G and
>>> H drives.
>>> Any advice gratefully received. Thx
>>
>> When you open Search, click the down arrow to the right of the
>> Look In box. At the bottom of the list, you will see a Browse
>> option. Click Browse and you can select any folder to search
>> from there.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>> http://www.dts-l.org/

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 5:32:54 PM

Hi,

Again thanks for the advice. Re-installed search companion as suggested but
unfortunately I still only have the limited options in the "Look In" pull
down menu! Could this be a registry problem? Anything else I can try?

Cheers

Andy

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
> You might try reinstalling the Search. Take a look at this web site for
> more info:
>
> http://www.tweakxp.com/article139788.aspx
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "Andy Charnock" <andycharnock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the advice Ronnie, but unfortunately no such option exists.
>> Any other ideas welcome.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message

>>> When you open Search, click the down arrow to the right of the Look In
>>> box. At the bottom of the list, you will see a Browse option. Click
>>> Browse and you can select any folder to search from there.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Ronnie Vernon
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>>> http://www.dts-l.org/

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 11:23:50 PM

What I've found is that I can't recreate your problem on any of
my machines. Without finding what causes the problem, I don't
have an easy solution. What you're getting is the top half of the
drop down menu. What you're missing is all the locations that are
shown when you open My Computer along with the browse option.
It's got to be a registry setting but I'll be damned if I can
find it.

Without a permanent solution, the only workaround that I can
think of is to open My Computer (or Windows Explorer) and right
click on the drive you want to search. Select Search from the
drop down menu. If you see the correct drive listed in the "Look
in" box, see if you can search for an item. If it works, at least
you've got one option.

The permanent solutions that I'd try are not without risk. If you
attempt either of these, make sure you back up any files and
folders that you cannot afford to lose.

If this problem started recently then I'd run System Restore and
use a restore point that was created before the problem appeared.
The downside of this is that any programs that were installed or
settings that were changed after that date would also be removed.

Here's some more info on System Restore:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

http://tinyurl.com/253en

If this has been a problem for a long time, you're better of
trying a repair installation. This usually means having to
reapply Service Pack 2 and any recent updates.

Here are some resources for this procedure:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

Personally, if you're able to run searches from within My
Computer or Windows Explorer, I'd learn to live with the minor
inconvenience. If your computer is running fine with this small
glitch, why run the risk of messing it up?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
--
> Hi,
>
> Again thanks for the advice. Re-installed search companion as
> suggested but unfortunately I still only have the limited
> options in the "Look In" pull down menu! Could this be a
> registry problem? Anything else I can try?
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy
>
> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>> You might try reinstalling the Search. Take a look at this web
>> site for more info:
>>
>> http://www.tweakxp.com/article139788.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "Andy Charnock" <andycharnock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the advice Ronnie, but unfortunately no such
>>> option exists. Any other ideas welcome.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>
>>> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:11:23 AM

Many thanks for all you kind advice. This problem has been bugging me for
months but I do agree there is a work around solution. As it appears to be
my only problem (at the moment) I might holfd off doing a full XP
reinstall/repair. But thanks for pointing me in the right direction when I
am forced to or have plenty of time on my hands.

Funny, but I thought the "simple" problem would be a simple registry fix?
How wrong could I be!!

!