Sign in with
Your question

Why is windows 8 so cheap?

Last response: in Windows 8
a b D Laptop
August 13, 2012 6:34:14 AM

hi. i recently bought a laptop with windows 7 home premium. It says i will be able to upgrade to windows 8 for $15 USD. I was wondering why it is so cheap? Is it not a full version of windows 8 or something? I also went to other laptop websites and they were offering a windows 8 upgrade for $15 USD as well. I was wondering if anyone had some information on this.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/home

Thanks! :D 

More about : windows cheap

a b D Laptop
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
August 13, 2012 6:39:23 AM

Microsoft is offering a promo price on upgrade copies of Windows 8 until January 31st, 2013. The upgrade price is $40 USD though. Not sure why you are seeing $15. Might want to call the laptop vendor and ask them?

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/ar...
August 13, 2012 6:39:42 AM

It's called 'promotion' to sell more computers before win 8 comes out.
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 13, 2012 6:53:50 AM

its a promo to

1. get more people to use win8
2. to make it so that people who recently bought a pc wont feel bad that a new OS was coming out, and should have waited a tiny bit for it
August 17, 2012 10:55:36 PM

I guess that the EXTRA $$$ that we would normally pay is the cost of the START button.
Since the START button is missing, I guess that they are at least not charging for it.

August 17, 2012 11:15:00 PM

So they are helping the retailers to keep selling computers now;
Otherwise nobody would buy a computer during this summer until the new Windows comes out and people see what it is all about.

It would be like iPhone sales which have dropped off the cliff, since people are waiting for iphone5. Except affecting a LOT of companies not just Apple.

At the same time, they don't want everybody to just order it even if they don't need it, so they assign a (relatively) small price to it.

Also note, if you read the fine print on the promotion, there is a deadline to claim it; so it is a promotion just to get over this initial release hump and get some people on it; even if they are not maximizing how much they can charge for it.
a b $ Windows 7
August 17, 2012 11:22:15 PM

They're making it so cheap so as to get the suckers to buy it. Nobody would buy it for the full price as Windows 8 is a load of garbage. Microsoft hopes to make its money by selling apps from their apps store like Apple so they could afford to give it away. Windows 8 should be called Windows R8pe.
a b D Laptop
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
August 18, 2012 2:49:15 AM

pjmelect said:
They're making it so cheap so as to get the suckers to buy it. Nobody would buy it for the full price as Windows 8 is a load of garbage. Microsoft hopes to make its money by selling apps from their apps store like Apple so they could afford to give it away. Windows 8 should be called Windows R8pe.

That's entirely your opinion. I have the RTM build and I love it. Aside from an issue with it detecting the controller my standard rotating magnetic hard drives were connected to (which was promptly fixed by reinstalling the OS with all of the drives connected this time), it's working flawlessly. My data has been moved back over, and every single one of my applications and devices works. The Start screen still bugs me every so often, but since I use it about 1% of the total time I am using this system anyway, it's really nothing worth complaining about.
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2012 2:52:01 AM

because 7 8 9
a b D Laptop
a c 372 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
August 18, 2012 2:52:27 AM

What would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 in performance.
August 22, 2012 3:24:15 PM

pjmelect said:
Microsoft hopes to make its money by selling apps from their apps store like Apple so they could afford to give it away.

This.
By moving to an app store Microsoft will make a cut of all apps and also have an their approval process and authenticate all software written for Windows 8 and probably Windows 8 RTM version.

Office 2013 RT for Windows RT comes with the
Microsoft is planning to ship a Preview version of Office 2013 RT as part of its Windows RT ARM-based tablets. The plan is for the Preview edition will be upgradeable to a final copy that will be made available in early 2013.

subscription-based = always brings in money monthly/annually versus buying the Office software once and keeping it for 5 years.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
August 22, 2012 3:34:29 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Microsoft is offering a promo price on upgrade copies of Windows 8 until January 31st, 2013. The upgrade price is $40 USD though. Not sure why you are seeing $15. Might want to call the laptop vendor and ask them?

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/ar...

I think it's $15 through OEMs, $40 retail. I could be wrong though
a b $ Windows 7
August 22, 2012 3:40:02 PM

ROFLMAO.....at this post.
a b D Laptop
a c 372 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
August 22, 2012 3:52:21 PM

I think it's $15 through OEMs, $40 retail. I could be wrong though < correct
August 22, 2012 4:07:38 PM

The Windows Store is visible only to machines running Windows 8 or Windows RT.

Quote:
PC-like devices will be made by Windows RT partners, including tablets, traditional clamshell laptops and convertible devices.
Even with the laptops they will probably be more energy saving and remove the DVD-Rom drive and thus only USB stick for software install or else via the Windows App store purchase download.
Microsoft is pushing people away from the DVD-ROM and USB stick installs from software bought at brick and mortar stores or purchased via a software's website and downloaded on a PC and put onto a USB stick. This is the reason:

Apple takes 30% fee in revenue for apps. I was surprised that Microsoft decided to do 30% fee. They will always go up and will never go lower...
I thought MS would start out at 20% and over 3 years move to 25%. I forgot how greedy MS is.

Windows 8 Store: apps priced up to $999.99, Microsoft will take a smaller cut from top-sellers
July 23, 2012
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/21/3173873/windows-8-sto...

MS wants people to move to Windows 8 in Q4 2012 so that by 2015 that many more people will be using the walled garden called the Windows Store. They need to Win8OS to gain traction as fast as possible. With tablets that is one of the markets, laptops are another. They are hoping maybe half of the high school grads starting college in 2013-2017 will purchase one.
August 22, 2012 6:28:05 PM

I think the $15 dollar thing is just for people who have just recently bought a Windows 7 machine.

Then there will the special offer period of $40 approx to download, they did the same with Windows 7 for the initial period.

After the special offer period they will up the price to full. Not sure what that pricing will be, hopefully less than before as they are hoping to milk things on the app store.

If Microsoft want to be Apple they could perhaps take a look at their OS upgrade pricing too. Vista to 7 seems a point upgrade as does 8 really, don't think there's massive value going from one to the other. There again I imagine they're quite happy selling full product and not so keen on the idea of people incrementally upgrading.

a b D Laptop
a c 372 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
August 22, 2012 6:28:27 PM

I think the $15 dollar thing is just for people who have just recently bought a Windows 7 machine. < exactly
August 24, 2012 12:08:12 PM

soundieNYC1 said:

subscription-based = always brings in money monthly/annually versus buying the Office software once and keeping it for 5 years.

Hmmm. I am still using Office 2003.
August 24, 2012 4:06:21 PM

jsc said:
Hmmm. I am still using Office 2003.

Actually so am I...on Windows XP.

MS doesn't want this to happen again. They want to get people away from Windows 7 ASAP so they can stop offering Windows 7 on new desktops probably in 2 years.
MS wants people to go with Windows8 instead of Windows7 so they will visit the Windows Store and update their software apps. Subscription-based software is coming like the subscription pricing model Adobe started using with CS5.5 and now the Adobe's Touch Apps headlined by Adobe Photoshop Touch.

Adobe Creative Cloud membership provides users with access to download and install every new Adobe CS6 application and two new HTML5 products. ["$49.99 a month, with an annual subscription fee, or $79.99 for a month-to-month subscription with no fee."]
Photoshop, the most popular piece of software in the Adobe arsenal, will be available for a stand-alone subscription of ["$19.99 a month with an annual subscription fee, or $29.99 without the fee on a month-to-month basis."]
It's this kind of Amazon Prime membership subscription package that the Subscription-based software model is ramping up. MS already has Office 365 and will slowly convert away from the up-front software licensing fees.

Microsoft wants to get away from DVD-ROMs in boxes and physical media sales of their software.
All software must be installed via Windows Store for Windows 8. Only Enterprise IT groups can sideload software.
If they put out Windows 8 with their new Windows Store for Windows 8 [only] don't you think they will do their future OS upgrades as subscription-based? Surely they will start phasing out Window 7 as soon as they can (within 2-4 years)
Which do consumers hate less? monthly charges or annual charges. MS will probably go with annual payment for an OS subscription. You stop paying then you no longer can upgrade and surely within a year you will have firmware conflicts...
August 24, 2012 9:09:13 PM

I can't wait when XP is officially unsupported. Everyone still using it will get infected with all sorts of nasty crap once antivirus makers follow suit. It will finally die.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 17, 2012 6:30:05 PM

soundieNYC1 said:

Microsoft wants to get away from DVD-ROMs in boxes and physical media sales of their software.
All software must be installed via Windows Store for Windows 8. Only Enterprise IT groups can sideload software.
If they put out Windows 8 with their new Windows Store for Windows 8 [only] don't you think they will do their future OS upgrades as subscription-based? Surely they will start phasing out Window 7 as soon as they can (within 2-4 years)
Which do consumers hate less? monthly charges or annual charges. MS will probably go with annual payment for an OS subscription. You stop paying then you no longer can upgrade and surely within a year you will have firmware conflicts...

This is a good reason not to upgrade to Win 8. MS seems to want everyone to buy a new OS every 3-4 years and charging people for every upgrade. And yet people are like sheep and will complain but then do nothing but follow the herd.

If this is going to be the future of MS i'm switching to Linux and never looking back. Better to have a reliable OS that does not require me to switch to a new OS every 4 years.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 17, 2012 9:13:24 PM

MidnightDistort said:
This is a good reason not to upgrade to Win 8. MS seems to want everyone to buy a new OS every 3-4 years and charging people for every upgrade. And yet people are like sheep and will complain but then do nothing but follow the herd.

If this is going to be the future of MS i'm switching to Linux and never looking back. Better to have a reliable OS that does not require me to switch to a new OS every 4 years.

So you would rather have an unreliable OS that has a new release with new bugs every 6 months?
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 18, 2012 6:14:32 AM

^ i don't see why Linux would be unreliable, in fact i would be able to use my old PC with no problems. I can't afford to pay for a new OS every 4 years. Never needed to buy a new OS every 4 years. MS makes enough profit with the amount of users they have. Had Vista been better i would still have that OS instead of getting Win7.

It's the same with Xp, maybe they can't afford or maybe they don't need to upgrade to 7. Yet MS is acting greedy. If my old xp laptop still worked, i probably would have never gotten Vista or 7 in the first place. With all things considered Win 7 may benefit me for a nice 11 years (with 8 years left) before i have to find something else.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 18, 2012 8:35:01 AM

MidnightDistort said:
^ i don't see why Linux would be unreliable, in fact i would be able to use my old PC with no problems. I can't afford to pay for a new OS every 4 years. Never needed to buy a new OS every 4 years. MS makes enough profit with the amount of users they have. Had Vista been better i would still have that OS instead of getting Win7.

It's the same with Xp, maybe they can't afford or maybe they don't need to upgrade to 7. Yet MS is acting greedy. If my old xp laptop still worked, i probably would have never gotten Vista or 7 in the first place. With all things considered Win 7 may benefit me for a nice 11 years (with 8 years left) before i have to find something else.

The core components of Linux are very reliable, the strapped on components usually are not. Linux works great until you try to do something that isn't supported, such as install new hardware, or an application compiled against newer shared libraries. Most of the popular desktop distros have 6-12 month release cycles and each one brings with it a slew of new features as well as a slew of changes, a slew of new bugs and a slew of new incompatibilities. To make matters worse, maintainers may let repository applications lapse by a number of major revisions simply because they can't be bothered to update it or don't have the resources to do so. I do system administration for a living and I've taken to installing all my major enterprise level applications from upstream sources rather than repositories because the repositories are often an unfathomable mess.

There's a reason that RHEL still demands a price premium comparable to Windows Server despite CentOS being an almost perfect clone, it's stable and well supported.
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2012 9:08:53 PM

pjmelect said:

Entirely your opinion that I entirely agree with, although I would maybe have not put it quite like that.
I'm hoping W8 ends up as a costly experiment and Microsoft revert back to making a reliable consumer friendly OS for the next release.
However knowing companies as I do for this to happen would need W8 to nearly bankrupt MS for it to change tack.
In short I believe that short of intervention or a miracle W7 will be the last OS that the end user has even a vestige of control over.
Why anyone in a sane mind want anything to do with an W8 if indeed it does run a walled garden approach is just plain beyond me.
Someone tell me this isn't true, please. Seriously would even games need to be downloaded from the W8 store ? or are people just scaremongering again ?

Mactronix :) 
October 19, 2012 9:28:58 PM

I know a guy who's a developer, and the way he explained it to me is that basically each app in Windows 8 uses like an anonymous logon, so each app you open is like logging into that app as a different user. But none of those will have admin rights. He thinks in the case of spyware that the only way for someone to get infected with computer viruses will be through the desktop environment. It does appear that Microsoft is trying to make a walled garden approach.

I don't know. As a technician who does a lot of virus/spyware removals and repairs, Windows 8 scares me after talking to him. I will pick up a copy as I will have to learn it and use it in order to help others, but not sure about Windows 8 and their rush to the cloud.
October 20, 2012 12:06:42 AM

:pt1cable:  It is probably due to the fact that the hardware [ or technology ] is so far advanced for mere humans to compile useable programs that will actually maximize the the abilities of the new equipment . :pt1cable:  Just my guess. ;) 
Anonymous
October 21, 2012 3:56:09 AM

drwho1 said:
I guess that the EXTRA $$$ that we would normally pay is the cost of the START button.
Since the START button is missing, I guess that they are at least not charging for it.

Who the hell still uses the start button?
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2012 11:58:51 AM

Just about everyone I know to be honest.
Why on earth would you not ?

October 21, 2012 2:56:08 PM

looking back at MS's track record....

winMe no go
winXp great
winVista terrible
win7 great
win8 ????(is this the next Vista?)
October 21, 2012 3:00:16 PM

Because the start menu is an inefficient way to do anything.

@soundieNYC1....you can install software in Windows8 without the "app store". The "app store" is only required for "metro apps".

Seems the closer we get to Win8 launch, the more BS claims I see people making. MS is not moving away from CD/DVD....you can still buy a physical copy of Windows8. The "Windows Marketplace" is only required for obtaining "metro apps". You can still walk into retail stores and buy software to install on any computer running Windows8. What MS is doing, is no different from what Apple does for OSX (which seems to get misrepresented in Anti-Win8 articles). Apple provides an "app store" for those that would rather just download the software. You can still buy software from retailers or e-tailers as you see fit. MS will never force you to use the "Windows Marketplace" for all your software purchases due to the simple fact that it's illegal for them to do so.

Some of you need to get real and stop posting such BS....
a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2012 8:57:56 PM

sykozis said:
Because the start menu is an inefficient way to do anything.

@soundieNYC1....you can install software in Windows8 without the "app store". The "app store" is only required for "metro apps".

Seems the closer we get to Win8 launch, the more BS claims I see people making. MS is not moving away from CD/DVD....you can still buy a physical copy of Windows8. The "Windows Marketplace" is only required for obtaining "metro apps". You can still walk into retail stores and buy software to install on any computer running Windows8. What MS is doing, is no different from what Apple does for OSX (which seems to get misrepresented in Anti-Win8 articles). Apple provides an "app store" for those that would rather just download the software. You can still buy software from retailers or e-tailers as you see fit. MS will never force you to use the "Windows Marketplace" for all your software purchases due to the simple fact that it's illegal for them to do so.

Some of you need to get real and stop posting such BS....

So what's the efficient way of doing anything then ? I click start, then every thing I use often is displayed along with the list of main folders and control options. I double click the one I want so what's easier then ?
Can you get to My Computer in less than 2 clicks ?

Quote:
What MS is doing, is no different from what Apple does for OSX

That is the main issue my friend, people don't pay for apps at the moment and can get what they want from where they want.
While this is still true the perception is that M$ will do deals with providers so that some things can only be downloaded via them and cost money.
Microsoft are not exactly busting a gut to allay any fears that are raised.

Windows 7 was developed with user feedback requested and actioned on. W8 basically ignored preview testers feedback. Simple requests, things like having a start button available or having the ability to boot straight to desktop which were requested by people in droves were ignored.

It wouldn't have made any functional difference to the actual OS. That is to be clear and stop the statement being twisted, that it wouldn't have made the OS suddenly not work because the start button was there or because people could choose not to see the new UI.
The actual reason is transparent and personally I don't want a bar of it.

There are good things in W8, real innovations that would make a noticeable difference.
Things like the system refresh and the native spell checker as well as better control of file transfers and downloads. The problem is that people are not reporting these things clearly enough for most people to be able to see the benefits that are available.
Microsoft are too busy pushing the headline things that they seem to think matter most to people, which judging by the near universal hatred people have of these features they have severely misjudged.

October 22, 2012 1:19:36 AM

Where are you seeing this "near universal hatred"??? Among the various forums I visit, I see quite a bit of positive comments about Windows8.

Thing is, MS can't legally force you to download apps from the Windows Marketplace. They're required by law to allow people to buy software from retailers and other e-tailers. That isn't going to change any time soon.

I hit the win key and have 1 click access to everything I regularly use on my computer. I never have a need for "my computer"...but I also have 1 click access to control panel, file explorer, shutdown and restart right from my desktop....all the things I find a need for on a fairly regular basis. To me, that's much more efficient that having to click a start button first.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 22, 2012 3:48:00 AM

I use the start menu more then the desktop mostly because i already have programs open and it's a quick access point. I could also click on the 'show desktop' by the clock but again, i don't remember this function in Vista and XP never had it so i always clicked on the start menu. It's easier then minimizing programs.

Plus i don't like a million programs on the desktop when they are already in the start menu, nice and organized along with the most frequent. Sony tried a non optical format with one of their PSP releases, but if you have a physical media collection it won't do you any good. I try to back up majority of my need to keep data on optical discs which are more reliable then hard drives.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 22, 2012 3:58:22 AM

Pinhedd said:
The core components of Linux are very reliable, the strapped on components usually are not. Linux works great until you try to do something that isn't supported, such as install new hardware, or an application compiled against newer shared libraries. Most of the popular desktop distros have 6-12 month release cycles and each one brings with it a slew of new features as well as a slew of changes, a slew of new bugs and a slew of new incompatibilities. To make matters worse, maintainers may let repository applications lapse by a number of major revisions simply because they can't be bothered to update it or don't have the resources to do so. I do system administration for a living and I've taken to installing all my major enterprise level applications from upstream sources rather than repositories because the repositories are often an unfathomable mess.

There's a reason that RHEL still demands a price premium comparable to Windows Server despite CentOS being an almost perfect clone, it's stable and well supported.

Majority of what i have my PC for is internet and media. Worst case scenario i will end up having to resort to Windows, but even then things will change by 2020 so perhaps MS will have developed a more user friendly OS (i still haven't gotten the hang of Win 8 yet) by that time. I prefer not having my money milked and i prefer to stick to an OS standard that i'm familiar with and not have to relearn everything which hasn't been too bad from MS, minus Win8.
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 22, 2012 4:29:57 AM

MidnightDistort said:
Majority of what i have my PC for is internet and media. Worst case scenario i will end up having to resort to Windows, but even then things will change by 2020 so perhaps MS will have developed a more user friendly OS (i still haven't gotten the hang of Win 8 yet) by that time. I prefer not having my money milked and i prefer to stick to an OS standard that i'm familiar with and not have to relearn everything which hasn't been too bad from MS, minus Win8.

With the exception of Flash, Linux does most internet and media tasks reasonably well. Windows will do them better, but it's not free.

I've been using Windows 8 RTM on my laptop for about two weeks. It's definitely different and I'm finding new things every day but there's also a lot of points where I find myself going "holy crap that's neat". The start menu is still there, it's just a little bit different. I would like it to be more customizable but I think that the dynamic icons have a lot of potential.

Under the hood, Win8 is Microsoft's fastest offering yet. Everything is super snappy.
a b $ Windows 7
October 22, 2012 7:38:08 AM

@ Pinhead. Any New install is "snappy"

@ sykozis. You are exactly the type of person that adds to the negativity towards new operating systems.
You post things like [quoteBecause the start menu is an inefficient way to do anything][/quote] when it turns out you do exactly the same thing using exactly the same path just using different functionality to get there that is no faster and in fact I would suggest slower because if you use the mouse the mouse is already there to click on the next icon.
Press a key or Click an icon,same result,same difference :pfff: 

Take your own advice my friend
Quote:
stop posting such BS

We have covered the market place issue, move on.

As myself and pinhead have said there are some really very good new features but as I'm saying, why are Microsoft choosing not to push these new functions ? Why are they forcing people to use the OS in a certain way ? Why did they not listen to input this time ?

October 22, 2012 1:45:07 PM

Because Microsoft is Microsoft. For me to be happy, all they really would have to have done is put a question in the first time you use your machine to ask if you want a classic(Windows 7 style) experience, or a Modern(aka Metro) experience.
a b $ Windows 7
October 22, 2012 4:23:20 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Because Microsoft is Microsoft. For me to be happy, all they really would have to have done is put a question in the first time you use your machine to ask if you want a classic(Windows 7 style) experience, or a Modern(aka Metro) experience.

That really is all a lot of peoples objections come down to. They resent being dictated to over a simple thing like this.
If a simple thing like this is such a sticking point with Microsoft to the point where they are prepared to destroy a lot of the good will and feeling that the W7 development process created then what's next ?

That's why people are anti, they thought Microsoft had turned a corner and started listening, but then you get this attitude which is totally revenue driven and disenfranchises those who bought into the good customer relations work from the previous OS.

October 22, 2012 6:52:18 PM

It's £14 upgrade to Windows 8 here, £49.98 for Pro. :) 
October 23, 2012 3:24:48 AM

mactronix said:
@ Pinhead. Any New install is "snappy"

@ sykozis. You are exactly the type of person that adds to the negativity towards new operating systems.
You post things like [quoteBecause the start menu is an inefficient way to do anything] when it turns out you do exactly the same thing using exactly the same path just using different functionality to get there that is no faster and in fact I would suggest slower because if you use the mouse the mouse is already there to click on the next icon.
Press a key or Click an icon,same result,same difference :pfff: 

Take your own advice my friend
Quote:
stop posting such BS

We have covered the market place issue, move on.

As myself and pinhead have said there are some really very good new features but as I'm saying, why are Microsoft choosing not to push these new functions ? Why are they forcing people to use the OS in a certain way ? Why did they not listen to input this time ?

[/quote]

You respond to the same post, twice.... Did you try scrolling down 1 post to see my response to your last post? Whether I'm looking at the start screen or the desktop, I have 1 click access to everything I use most frequently.

So, pointing out the flaws in previous releases, adds to negativity towards new releases? That logic is quite a bit backwards....
a b $ Windows 7
October 23, 2012 3:21:22 PM

sykozis said:
You respond to the same post, twice.... Did you try scrolling down 1 post to see my response to your last post? Whether I'm looking at the start screen or the desktop, I have 1 click access to everything I use most frequently.

So, pointing out the flaws in previous releases, adds to negativity towards new releases? That logic is quite a bit backwards....

:pfff: 
I used a quote from your previous post to point out how stupid your last post was, your now at the point where you realise how wrong you are and have resorted to the tactic most who are not big enough to admit they are wrong follow.
That being post some unrelated incorrect rubbish aimed at the poster who just pointed out that pushing 1 button and then clicking on 1 icon is the same difference as clicking 2 icons and not at all more efficient as your unthinking off the cuff remark suggested.

Now please return to the point of the thread or PM me if you wish to continue this pointless charade.

October 25, 2012 4:23:47 AM

mactronix said:
:pfff: 
I used a quote from your previous post to point out how stupid your last post was, your now at the point where you realise how wrong you are and have resorted to the tactic most who are not big enough to admit they are wrong follow.
That being post some unrelated incorrect rubbish aimed at the poster who just pointed out that pushing 1 button and then clicking on 1 icon is the same difference as clicking 2 icons and not at all more efficient as your unthinking off the cuff remark suggested.

Now please return to the point of the thread or PM me if you wish to continue this pointless charade.

You obviously didn't read my post at all else you'd have realized that I don't have to "press 1 button and click on 1 icon"... There is no difference between my start screen and my desktop, in regards to my most commonly used programs/features. The only time I ever actually have to see the start screen, is at startup. Aside from that, it's purely optional.

Maybe you should focus a bit more on reading comprehension and a bit less on childish, pathetic attempts at insults. It would make you appear considerably more intelligent.
a b D Laptop
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 25, 2012 4:47:23 AM

If you guys want to continue slinging mud at each other, please do so via PM. Lets keep the discussion here in the thread focused on Windows 8.
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2012 8:35:12 AM

The_Prophecy said:
If you guys want to continue slinging mud at each other, please do so via PM. Lets keep the discussion here in the thread focused on Windows 8.

Thank you.

December 7, 2012 11:46:50 PM

This is the straight forward answer. Microsoft knew that they wont be able to sell a lot of windows 8 copies at high price. They dont want windows 8 to become a flop (like vista). The only way they can convince people to buy windows 8 is to lower its price. I remember that even when windows xp home or pro was $99 when it just came out. And windows 7 upgrade version is still $99. Many businesses dont want to upgrade to windows 8 because most of the bussinesses just upgraded to 7 from xp. This is why they have this $ 15 upgrade promotion if you buy a pc befor jan 31st and even the digital copy download (windows 8 pro upgrade ) from microsoft is just $39.99.

Ntsh 70
December 7, 2012 11:49:23 PM

This is the straight forward answer. Microsoft knew that they wont be able to sell a lot of windows 8 copies at high price. They dont want windows 8 to become a flop (like vista). The only way they can convince people to buy windows 8 is to lower its price. I remember that even when windows xp home or pro was $99 when it just came out. And windows 7 upgrade version is still $99. Many businesses dont want to upgrade to windows 8 because most of the bussinesses just upgraded to 7 from xp. This is why they have this $ 15 upgrade promotion if you buy a pc befor jan 31st and even the digital copy download (windows 8 pro upgrade ) from microsoft is just $39.99.

Ntsh 70
December 7, 2012 11:49:54 PM

Microsoft knew that they wont be able to sell a lot of windows 8 copies at high price. They dont want windows 8 to become a flop (like vista). The only way they can convince people to buy windows 8 is to lower its price. I remember that even when windows xp home or pro was $99 when it just came out. And windows 7 upgrade version is still $99. Many businesses dont want to upgrade to windows 8 because most of the bussinesses just upgraded to 7 from xp. This is why they have this $ 15 upgrade promotion if you buy a pc befor jan 31st and even the digital copy download (windows 8 pro upgrade ) from microsoft is just $39.99.

Ntsh 70
!